There are 168 users in the forums

Post Game Analysis (vs. Denver Broncos)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Since we had the 3rd string qb starting this game it was pretty much what I'd expected. We won a game we had to have and should have won. I'm worried that beating the Donkey's will give us some unrealistic sense of accomplishment when in fact they may be the worst team in the league, besides Buffalo. I still say its the coaching that is the common thread to our below average play and until the HC, OC and DC get their minds right we aren't going anywhere.
Well does it really matter? Cause we got it on the 4th try. If that's what it takes for Sing to get the call right, I'm all for it.

Maybe he notices their mistake in film study and takes something positive and runs with it for the rest of the season.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:
heres the play by play for the drive

They called a time out

Could have been that the CBS scoreboard said 3rd and goal on the Norris run and meant 2nd and goal.

probably
I was distracted at the time, I figured we had gone on 4th!

They called a time out

Could have been that the CBS scoreboard said 3rd and goal on the Norris run and meant 2nd and goal.

What the play-by-play says is that on the second play listed, Gore didn't get the 1st down, making it 3rd and 1 at the 9. On TV, they said he got the 1st down and listed the following downs in succession. But if it was 3rd and 1 and not 1st and goal, then that explains the extra down, though I'm going to rewatch to see what the field downmarker says after Gore's run to the 9 (which I thought was to the 8).

They called a time out

probably

Watch the series of downs and tell me it was a CBS mistake.
Originally posted by gravelburn:

They called a time out

What the play-by-play says is that on the second play listed, Gore didn't get the 1st down, making it 3rd and 1 at the 9. On TV, they said he got the 1st down and listed the following downs in succession. But if it was 3rd and 1 and not 1st and goal, then that explains the extra down, though I'm going to rewatch to see what the field downmarker says after Gore's run to the 9 (which I thought was to the 8).

Yeah, the downmarker on the field says 3rd and 1 after Gore's run to the 9. I think it was a bad spot and we actually should have been given the 1st down. CBS just didn't catch on for 3 plays.

They called a time out

I just watched that down and you're right, the field markers do say 3rd down. Well that explains that. Lazy commentators to focused on making sure the world knows Sing hates Alex Smith too notice which down it is.
Originally posted by JoeCool031619:

They called a time out

I just watched that down and you're right, the field markers do say 3rd down. Well that explains that. Lazy commentators to focused on making sure the world knows Sing hates Alex Smith too notice which down it is.

I was going crazy thinking they were going for it on 4th and goal from the 3.
We were lucky. They got 2 TD's called back. Both calls were legitimate, but you don't always get the call. And 3 runs and a punt with 2 mins left is just asking to lose. Yes, Gore and the O-line did well, but against the 32nd best run D in the whole league. Troy Smith played well, but the next teams will have film on him. I'm glad we won, but we haven't fixed anything and will get our asses handed to us by the Rams if we don't get a lot better quickly.

Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
We were lucky. They got 2 TD's called back. Both calls were legitimate, but you don't always get the call. And 3 runs and a punt with 2 mins left is just asking to lose. Yes, Gore and the O-line did well, but against the 32nd best run D in the whole league. Troy Smith played well, but the next teams will have film on him. I'm glad we won, but we haven't fixed anything and will get our asses handed to us by the Rams if we don't get a lot better quickly.

totally agree. dont understand why we continue to put ourselves in a situation to lose. minus that high risk pass to walker, troy seemed to settle in a rythm so go back to AT LEAST one pa. tough to feel happy for a win esp against team who layed down for the raiders.
Troy Smith; Always was a fun. I liked when we signed him and I always said he was the best pure quarterback and the smartest (football smart) QB we had. Today he showed that. The guy just seems to have a great poise about him. He makes good, quick, decisions and yes he is short, but unlike most short QB's, he has a strong arm. Is he a long-term guy? I don't know, but I would leave him in there for the season. It just seems he has "it" more of "it" (intangibles, poise, moxy, etc). The players also seem to really like and respond to him.

Our D played pretty well, especially our front 7. Manny Lawson has really played well this year and we need to keep him.

Crabtree had a nice game going up against Champ Bailey.

Man if we did not lose (giveaway) that game vs Carolina, we would only be a game out. At least the game's are worth watching once again with a young QB Troy Smith, as our starter. Hopefully Sing sticks with him.
The stars were aligned for Singletary today. His usual whack coaching job was saved by lucky passes and fortunate flags. It was a dismal performance, the announcers said his calls were "curious", but probably will keep the Yorks from firing him and thus will prolong the misery of this team until the end of the season.

A costly victory indeed.

There is evidence that his 3rd string QB would have beaten out his first choice, if he was given the chance. Makes you wonder about the 4th string guy, eh?

Anyway, the Niners have a better team than Denver, much better actually. This talent and the luck overcame Singletary's coaching.

The positive is that Sing can't hide the reserve QBs any longer and can't manipulate the competition at that spot.

I feel sorry for the OC and DC because I am sure Sing has made them play schemes and formations he likes.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
I just heared the most stupid explanation why Dixon was in on the crucial 3rd down.

Just to get fresh legs in.
WTF??
Your best RB in the most crucial situation in the game is getting a rest?

WTF???...

Gore took himself out. After the play he raised his arm and motioned to bring in somebody for a breather. At least thats what it looked like to me.

Originally posted by 49ersEastCoast:
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Has anyone discussed those roughing the passer calls. It seems Orton helmet fell in to the hands of the rushers.

2 sacks negated

What a joke the officiating rules are becoming. Flag football soon.

Was sayin this during the game... getting mighty rediculous!
Share 49ersWebzone