There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Post Game Analysis (vs. Denver Broncos)

Originally posted by verb1der:
Same retard gameplan, only difference is Troy Smith balled in the clutch.

Nah, only difference is that the Donks are really,really terrible.
As usual, Justin Smith deserves a pat on the head and a case of Bud. It was amazing to see the frequency of triple coverages that they put on him today. But still he managed to get some heat on Orton. Another qualtiy (if frustrating) start from arguably our best player.

This Bud's for you, Smith!
Singletary was very close in blowing this game. He just can't get away from trying to milk the clock with a small lead AND running up the middle for three plays in a row. I'm about tired of his poor decisions. He is definitely gone after the season with Alex riding shotgun and Carr close behind.
Troy showed some skills, got lucky a few times.

Gore had a monster game. Should have had the ball in his hands at the end.

Secondary still sucks. Mays was exposed. Bowman has a lot of work to do.

Justin Smith has as much heart as Gore.

We won in spite of the coaching and because the Broncos are a mess.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I gotta say I don't disagree with the idea of sticking with the run game in this game.

The problem is that the plays were not creative and situational play calling was terrible. Some play calls (FB dive) about made my head explode.

It's a good thing Gore is in beast mode now. Props to the o-line, too... run blocking is improving. Still has a ways to go, though.

Pass protection was about the same as it has been. Troy Smith seems far more agile when escaping out of the pocket than Alex. Gives him a better chance to make a play. Still, line made him hurry too many throws inside the pocket.

Troy Smith is a gunslinger. This is both a good and a bad thing. He's got the confidence and arm to make throws down field, but as we saw on the Walker play, he'll take risks that could be costly. Of course, they can also be magical, as we also saw on the Walker play. Basically, Brett Favre mentality.

I'm so f**king tired of games depending on a final defensive stand. I'm glad Spencer got his head turned around on that last pass. I've seen him get burned so many times because he didn't turn to look for the ball. Always has his man covered, just can't make a play on the ball.

I hope Vernon Davis is ok. Hooray bye week.
10 GOOD (not in order):

1) Play calling was good given the restrictions we were dealing with (3rd string qb who has only been on the team for 8 weeks), and more creative than folks are giving credit for here.

2) Sing's gutsy decision to start Smith, despite him not knowing the whole offense and only being on the team for 8 weeks.

3) Gore looked excellent, cut well, read the holes amazingly well.

4) No sacks, although this is largely b/c of Smith's movement in the pocket.

5) First great game of the season by Willis

6) Lawson looked excellent

7) The players stayed very poised in a difficult situation (playing in London, dealing with some horrid officiating).

8) Looks like Sing made the right decision to spend a week in London

9) Nice recovery game for Anthony Davis after his horrid performance last week. No penalties, no offsides.

10) Ginn looks fully recovered, and at this point we can conclude that returns won't be a problem.

11) Justin Smith continues to prove to be an EXCELLENT FA signing.

10 BAD (not in order):

1) Another bad game by the secondary, and we've run out of people to plug in.

2) The biggest problem we have is that we're just horribly undisciplined, and the lack of discipline on defense (screens, play actions, trick plays) is a HUGE concern.

3) Troy Smith was as lucky as good, and at least in this week had significant accuracy problems.

4) We're learning that Gore doesn't get spelled because we don't have much behind him. Westbrook doesn't have much left, and Dixon still dances too much.

5) The line wasn't that great in pass protection, a fact masked by Smith's movement.

6) Haralson was MIA yet again.

7) Everyone on the team dealt well with the horrible officiating...except for our head coach, who spent the game ranting out of control on the sideline again. It's embarrassing at this point, it's hurting our reputation, and I'd guess also our ability to get calls. It either has to stop or Sing has to go.

8) We make mistakes on defense on the same plays over and over again, and Manusky still isn't adjusting. This is a problem.

9) Once again, Staley looks to be a mediocre LT, not a good one, and far from a great one.
  • 8to80
Originally posted by HessianDud:

I agree with everything you said except the comment about the coaching. Singletary has so much foresight, he knew that we were going to win at the start of the 3rd quarter when the score was tied. So, he decided to start the 3rd quarter by pretending that we were up by 24 points and there was 2 minutes left of the game. Ingenius!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
As usual, Justin Smith deserves a pat on the head and a case of Bud. It was amazing to see the frequency of triple coverages that they put on him today. But still he managed to get some heat on Orton. Another qualtiy (if frustrating) start from arguably our best player.

This Bud's for you, Smith!

f**k yes. Can't overstate how brilliant this signing was after Bryant Young retired.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I gotta say I don't disagree with the idea of sticking with the run game in this game.

The problem is that the plays were not creative and situational play calling was terrible. Some play calls (FB dive) about made my head explode.

It's a good thing Gore is in beast mode now. Props to the o-line, too... run blocking is improving. Still has a ways to go, though.

Pass protection was about the same as it has been. Troy Smith seems far more agile when escaping out of the pocket than Alex. Gives him a better chance to make a play. Still, line made him hurry too many throws inside the pocket.

Troy Smith is a gunslinger. This is both a good and a bad thing. He's got the confidence and arm to make throws down field, but as we saw on the Walker play, he'll take risks that could be costly. Of course, they can also be magical, as we also saw on the Walker play. Basically, Brett Favre mentality.

I'm so f**king tired of games depending on a final defensive stand. I'm glad Spencer got his head turned around on that last pass. I've seen him get burned so many times because he didn't turn to look for the ball. Always has his man covered, just can't make a play on the ball.

I hope Vernon Davis is ok. Hooray bye week.

I agree, I couldnt believe they gave it to Norris on that play near the goalline. And I definitely wanted to throw it on that last possession instead of running the clock out...but I dont blame them for the latter play, even if they have to punt, the D's been playing good all game, and the Broncos still had to get a 2 point conversion even if they did score with NO timeouts left.
I'm excited about this team's prospects with Singletary gone.
Singletary, secondary anything that sounds like that just plain sucks.
Originally posted by 8to80:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

I agree with everything you said except the comment about the coaching. Singletary has so much foresight, he knew that we were going to win at the start of the 3rd quarter when the score was tied. So, he decided to start the 3rd quarter by pretending that we were up by 24 points and there was 2 minutes left of the game. Ingenius!

lol
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
oh yeah, and the broncos Oline was holding all game, and the refs called it maybe once.

Only on their Punt unit. Their RT had our LE in a freakin head lock on most every passing down. WTF is the Backfield Judge's Job again?

I was when Manny lowered the boom on Orton with the cleanest form tackle I seen in a long time. Looked better than when Spencer leveled Kitna.

~Ceadder
Great post, Popeye. I've got to agree with your assessment of the play calling. Sure it was vanilla in the extreme, but given the circumstances, it was about as aggressive as possible within the bounds of prudence.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
A guy on the Damon Bruce show just compared Nate Davis to Sam Bradford