There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lite Niner Convo (If Troy performs)

Lite Niner Convo (If Troy performs)

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
So begins the battle of the back ups (Smith vs. Smith )

uhhhh I'm not sure if you know this but Alex Smith is the starter. The battle of the backups ended on Sunday when Carr sucked and sealed Troy Smith's fate as the starter until Alex is healthy.

I think you missed the point. Alex Smith is a backup QB in this league. He wouldn't start on most other teams.
Why do we have to hate any of the QBs? I don't get it. I just want to see them play well. If it's Troy Smith then leave him as the starter. If he doesn't get it done replace him back with Alex. If he plays bad some more then give Nate Davis a shot. The only one who really has no shot to play well at all is David Carr.
The word hater is misused on this site. A hater isn't someone who notices a QB's poor play and points it out. A hater is someone who discredits a player before they even get a chance to see what they can do.

For the most part, Alex Smith doesn't have haters. We've seen what he can and can't do and we've formed our opinions based on that. Some of us notice when he plays bad and some of us make excuses whenever he plays poorly. There are a few who simply hate Alex Smith, but most of us just see the reality of the situation and don't make excuses for it.

What's irritating is if you don't approve of what a player is doing, people on here label you a hater. You don't have to make excuses for poor play in order to support this team or it's players. I support Alex Smith whenever he's on the field, but that doesn't mean I approve of the ineptitude that is often displayed when he's out there and it doesn't mean I have to want him out there in the first place.

I don't hate any of our QBs, but David Carr comes closest. That doesn't mean I have to accept poor play from any of them.
agree 100%
Originally posted by susweel:
Smith should not be allowed back on the field even if Troy doesn't play good.

Use the rest of the season to evaluate Nate Davis and Troy. No point in playing Smith because he is not part of the future.

It sickens me to agree with you.
Originally posted by WillisToHOF:
gotta go with the one getting more wins. A. Smith only has one so far so thats makes it an easy two for T. Smith to keep a starting role.(or N. Davis if he should chance a way back onto the team and get playing time.)

hmm.. intellectual response
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I boubt T Smith will play well. Our team is coached to lose and if he's the 3rd string QB then you know we have no chance.
gotta go with the one getting more wins. A. Smith only has one so far so thats makes it an easy two for T. Smith to keep a starting role.(or N. Davis if he should chance a way back onto the team and get playing time.)

hmm.. intellectual response

He's one of those people that actually hate on one of our players.

Apparently, he doesn't understand the concept of elevating a player from the practice squad and making them an active player. He thinks Nate Davis can't handle it based on the bullsh*t Singletary has spewed about him and one poor outing in a preseason game (even though said outing wasn't nearly as bad as some want to make it out to have been). Basically, he's made his decision based on simply not wanting Nate Davis to be given a shot. That's real haterism in it's rawest form.

Hate on one of our players even though you have no idea how good or bad he can be. That's awesome.

I mean, seriously. Alex is hurt. Carr is absolute trash. The only options are Troy and Nate, but some people just can't fathom elevating our most physically gifted QB. What a joke. Carr has no business on the team at all. Fire him and promote Nate.

What people like this need to realize is one terrible outing from Troy Smith is all it will take to elevate, and start, Nate Davis. Singletary has already said elevating him is an option they will consider. It's closer to happening than they want to believe.
Originally posted by Antix:
I boubt T Smith will play well. Our team is coached to lose and if he's the 3rd string QB then you know we have no chance.

Under normal circumstances, this would be true, but the coaching is competent under normal circumstances. That's not the case here. Our 3rd string QB and practice squad QB give us a better shot at victory than our 2nd string QB does. That alone should tell you something.
Very nice post 49erRider.

If it's clear to Singletary that Carr isn't worth playing, it should be clear to the world. And if Carr isn't fit to play, he's merely wasting a roster spot; might as well put that spot to work for Davis.

Sure, Davis is unlikely to be the answer, but since we're grasping at straws at QB, we might as well have as many straws available as we can. Especially so, when one considers the likelihood of injury and re-injury to the Smiths.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

If it's clear to Singletary that Carr isn't worth playing, it should be clear to the world. And if Carr isn't fit to play, he's merely wasting a roster spot; might as well put that spot to work for Davis.

Sure, Davis is unlikely to be the answer, but since we're grasping at straws at QB, we might as well have as many straws available as we can. Especially so, when one considers the likelihood of injury and re-injury to the Smiths.

Yeah I'm not claiming Nate Davis is going to come in and look like Aaron Rodgers out the gate or anything. What I'm saying is David Carr isn't even an option, so what's gonna happen if Troy Smith turns out to be worse than Carr? Do we just go with Carr even though we KNOW he sucks and we DON'T KNOW what Nate Davis can do? I don't think so. It just boggles my mind how people can sit there and dismiss Nate Davis based on something a coach with no credibility has said about him - as if we have a better option or something. The hatred for this kid is sickening.
Maybe Troy Smith is OUR Michael Vick?
What's the worst that could happen with any other QB starting: we win one less game than we have for the remainder of the season. Seriously, we've only won one game out of 8 and people are worried this team can really tank if Carr, Troy, or Nate start?

So what, we go from 1-7 to 0-8. Not much different then what we got with Alex.
They are just going to tank no matter who they play. This is just not a good team.
I vote emphatically YES. Alex thought NOT great is NOT the main problem with the team. how about the O-Line lapses, Defensive lapses in the secondary and the lack of pass rush. The silly mistakes and turnovers are what's ailing this franchise.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

I agree with the waste of a roster spot comment. I always thought that you put your best 53 men out there. It is clear we are weak elsewhere on the team secondary, pass rush etc. Weird decisions like this only dooms this team. We need a true GM to oversee this franchise; here that Jed!
Why do we have to hate any of the QBs? I don't get it. I just want to see them play well. If it's Troy Smith then leave him as the starter. If he doesn't get it done replace him back with Alex. If he plays bad some more then give Nate Davis a shot. The only one who really has no shot to play well at all is David Carr.

The word hater is misused on this site. A hater isn't someone who notices a QB's poor play and points it out. A hater is someone who discredits a player before they even get a chance to see what they can do.

For the most part, Alex Smith doesn't have haters. We've seen what he can and can't do and we've formed our opinions based on that. Some of us notice when he plays bad and some of us make excuses whenever he plays poorly. There are a few who simply hate Alex Smith, but most of us just see the reality of the situation and don't make excuses for it.

What's irritating is if you don't approve of what a player is doing, people on here label you a hater. You don't have to make excuses for poor play in order to support this team or it's players. I support Alex Smith whenever he's on the field, but that doesn't mean I approve of the ineptitude that is often displayed when he's out there and it doesn't mean I have to want him out there in the first place.

I don't hate any of our QBs, but David Carr comes closest. That doesn't mean I have to accept poor play from any of them.
agree 100%
Well said.

LB