There are 167 users in the forums

Lite Niner Convo (If Troy performs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Lite Niner Convo (If Troy performs)

Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Smith shouldn't be out 4 games. They said 2-3 weeks. This means that Smith could be back after the Bye. Unless Troy shows he is Peyton Manning or Tom Brady in one game, I doubt he will get the job.

Thanks for the correction. I must not have been fully engaged while creating the OP. I didn't change it because everyone already put in their 2 cents. I think he'll miss at least 2 games though if not rushed back.

Ps. I would love to keep Alex as a back up.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 27, 2010 at 5:44 PM ]
You go with the hot hand. Its not like we have a franchise QB.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
If Troy plays great, keep him in there.

Why wouldn't you?

I wonder if Singletary likes Troy better than the other Smith. We know he has his favorites.

If Troy sucks donkey balls and the other Smith isn't healthy yet, somebody hypnotize Singletary into giving Nate Davis a shot.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
If Troy plays solid/average and we win the next 3 to 4 games with him at the helm, would you put Alex back in the line up when he's healthy?

If the product on the field improves because of T. Smith, he should start the rest of the season.

If the product on the field gets worse because of T. Smith, A. Smith should resume as starter when he is healthy.

Very well said. I concur.
  • ZRF80
If the Niners beat the Broncos, Troy will have already had just as much success as Smith.

Pretty much answers your question.............
Originally posted by BobS:
I don't care who plays QB as long as they win. If he produces a positive won loss record he should stay.

If that's how our coaches/front office personnel thought, Shaun Hill would still be here. He's the only QB we've had since Jeff Garcia with a winning record.
Originally posted by carlgo:
OMG, who can judge any of these guys while they are playing for Sing in his very strange system?

The QBs have actually not been allowed to practice with the first team. Think about how strange that is!

It is very unfair to criticize any of these guys if they come in and can't complete passes, or look unsure in any way.

I agree with this. I don't expect all that much from Troy Smith in his first game, especially since he hasn't been able to practice much with the guys he'll be playing with. The only way to truly evaluate Troy or even Nate is to allow them to start for an extended period of time. Nobody is in sync with the first team offense because Alex Smith took the vast majority of reps with them - and even he isn't in sync with them. I say we give Troy a few weeks to show what he's got and if it's not what we want, then we need to try Nate Davis for the remainder of the season. You can't expect either of them to come in and light it up without significant time to progress with the unit. We gave Alex a hell of a lot of time, now it's time to give someone else the time they need to be a good QB.
ALL I KNOW.. IS THAT TROY WILL CONNECT WITH GINN.... JUST WATCH... HAHAHA ITS GONNA BE SWEET...
We dont even neccesarily have to win in my opinion...If the offense is moving better and we see an overall improvement in the offense, then Troy needs to stay!...Worst case scenario, we draft a QB in 2011 and let Troy remain the QB until the rook gets his feet underneath him and can take over...LETS GIVE THE GUY A REAL CHANCE!
If Troy plays better than Alex has all season then leave him in and watch Alex's career in SF fizzle away. If he doesn't play better than Alex then put Alex back in.

man I have to use first names with these two.

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
If Troy plays solid/average and we win the next 3 to 4 games with him at the helm, would you put Alex back in the line up when he's healthy?

If the product on the field improves because of T. Smith, he should start the rest of the season.

If the product on the field gets worse because of T. Smith, A. Smith should resume as starter when he is healthy.

This
gotta go with the one getting more wins. A. Smith only has one so far so thats makes it an easy two for T. Smith to keep a starting role.(or N. Davis if he should chance a way back onto the team and get playing time.)
Originally posted by WillisToHOF:
gotta go with the one getting more wins. A. Smith only has one so far so thats makes it an easy two for T. Smith to keep a starting role.(or N. Davis if he should chance a way back onto the team and get playing time.)

So begins the battle of the back ups (Smith vs. Smith )
So begins the battle of the back ups (Smith vs. Smith )

uhhhh I'm not sure if you know this but Alex Smith is the starter. The battle of the backups ended on Sunday when Carr sucked and sealed Troy Smith's fate as the starter until Alex is healthy.
Share 49ersWebzone