LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

If we go 1-7 we should let Nate Davis finish the year as the Starting QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by jreff22:
PS QB does not = Answer

We don't have an answer on the roster. We know Alex Smith isn't it.

It's like taking a multiple-choice test with 4 options:

A. Alex Smith
B. David Carr
C. Troy Smith
D. Nate Davis

You already know A. is not the answer and B. is unlikely to be the answer, so why not guess C. or D.?

how do you know B is not the answer??

Because I've seen B play football.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The ignorance in this thread is absolutely astounding. Nate Davis sucks people, not that he doesn't have any talent at all, but he lacks the single most important thing to being successful, he doesn't care enough to work to get better. You can have all the talent in the world, but unless you apply yourself, you are wasting it.

so why do we keep Alex??

Because Alex is better than Nate Davis and has at least a work ethic.

In terms of ability, Alex is not even close to Nate Davis.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I really hope Nate Davis gets a chance to play. I just wonna see what he can do against real competition.
Originally posted by Wichita9erFan:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by seanh:
nate threw a 60 yard pass in the preseason. obviously that warrants a start in the regular season

A 60 yard off target pass at that.

To me it looked like it was on target. He led the reciever to an open spot, something we haven't seen from our starting QB.

Actually Ginn had to slow down to catch the ball. Remember the 70 yard touchdown alex threw to Vernon Davis vs. the Rams? That ball travelled about 50 yards, hit Vernon in stride along the sideline and was a score. Amazing how Alex haters have such selective memory!

Too bad Alex can't accurately throw a damn screen pass to Josh Morgan or Michael Crabtree 10 yards away or a dump off to Frank Gore 7 yards away.
nate threw a 60 yard pass in the preseason. obviously that warrants a start in the regular season

To me it looked like it was on target. He led the reciever to an open spot, something we haven't seen from our starting QB.

Actually Ginn had to slow down to catch the ball. Remember the 70 yard touchdown alex threw to Vernon Davis vs. the Rams? That ball travelled about 50 yards, hit Vernon in stride along the sideline and was a score. Amazing how Alex haters have such selective memory!

speeking of memory....

Oh yeah speaking of memory

I can piece together a Ryan Leaf TD video if you want.. What does that prove?
I hope many of you realize that Tom Brady and Kurt Warner didn't beat out Drew Bledsoe or Trent Green for the starting QB position.

The only reason those two got their chance is because the starting QBs went down with injury not because they outplayed them in the preseason or won a QB competition.

Alex Smith - Fail
David Carr - Already a bust
Troy Smith - unknown
Nate Davis - unknown

I'd rather take my chance on the two unknowns than give the other two failures another opportunity to prove why they are failures. Past performance is usually indicative of future success and people like Alex and Carr will fail again and again. They are losers.

Plus, Nate has shown more potential in his 1st two years and than Alex has in 6.

But I'm not surprised that many of the stans are afraid of Nate. They hate every QB not named Alex and their opinions on a QB are simply irrelevant to me because they continue support a loser like Alex. Why should I trust your judgement on QB play when you think Alex is good? You are like the woman that keeps going back to the abusive husband in hopes that they will change. In the end, they won't, and the only person would looks like an idiot is the victim.

And Mike Johnson likes Nate, but what does he know? He's probably dyslexic too.

Btw, anybody figure out what learning disability Alex suffers from? Its probably more like a talent disability. I sure hope they discover it for future generations.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I hope many of you realize that Tom Brady and Kurt Warner didn't beat out Drew Bledsoe or Trent Green for the starting QB position.

The only reason those two got their chance is because the starting QBs went down with injury not because they outplayed them in the preseason or won a QB competition.

Alex Smith - Fail
Troy Smith - unknown
Nate Davis - unknown

I'd rather take my chance on the two unknowns than give the other two failures another opportunity to prove why they are failures. Past performance is usually indicative of future success and people like Alex and Carr will fail again and again. They are losers.

Plus, Nate has shown more potential in his 1st two years and than Alex has in 6.

But I'm not surprised that many of the stans are afraid of Nate. They hate every QB not named Alex and their opinions on a QB are simply irrelevant to me because they continue support a loser like Alex. Why should I trust your judgement on QB play when you think Alex is good? You are like the woman that keeps going back to the abusive husband in hopes that they will change. In the end, they won't, and the only person would looks like an idiot is the victim.

Btw, anybody figure out what learning disability Alex suffers from? Its probably more like a talent disability. I sure hope they discover it for future generations.

Man this is one ignorant post, Davis has shown nothing but a lack of ability to understand a playbook, lack of pocket presence, though with our offensive lines recently that can be easily excused. I can understand if you do not like Smith, but to say Davis has shown anything except the ability to not improve his play is just so ignorant as to not really be worthy of discussion.
pd24, not trying to hijack threads. Changing Qb when HC is 15+ yrs out of date doesn't fix our problem. You could bring Peyton, Brady, Brees , whoever in here, and with a coach so far out of date, who isn't an"Xs and Os" type guy is pointless. Look, i didn't make bigmike a bad nor inexperienced coach, who is completely out of his element, jed did... in a moment of being starstruck. He made a mistake, ok? Changing QBs to fix the 9ers with BM as HC is like someone having a computer crash and bringing me in to fix it. I am ignorant of computers, know zero about how to fix a crash, and guess what? Same applies to BM and being a HC. It doesn't know how because he hasn't come up thru the ranks and learned like everyone else had to. How on earth is Nate Davis going to make up for a HC who can't, or doesn't know how to HC? THAT is my point.

So i guess i could add, bringing Nate in to salvage a 1-7 season is preposterous. That's like changing tires because you blew a head gasket. Doesn't make sense.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 30, 2010 at 12:36 PM ]

Alex Smith - Fail
Troy Smith - unknown
Nate Davis - unknown

Man this is one ignorant post, Davis has shown nothing but a lack of ability to understand a playbook, lack of pocket presence, though with our offensive lines recently that can be easily excused. I can understand if you do not like Smith, but to say Davis has shown anything except the ability to not improve his play is just so ignorant as to not really be worthy of discussion.

Let me tell you Memphis, I actually like Davis, but please, when he cant even put the time into getting better on his own, that said all i need to know. Your a grown ass man, and if your vying for a position, then your gonna eat sleep and breathe football, even in the offseason. But he decided to chill, and think that just because he does have intangibles that it's gonna automatically transfer onto the field.i.e. Crabtree in the pre-season.

The coaches wanted him before Carr, and he didnt show anything other than that one big throw to Ginn i think this season. Like Davis or not, give me a QB, that has at least Alex's work ethic with the Talent that Davis has. He has a disability so u'd think that would make him work even more, with that let me show u what u missed out on mentality.

Lets see what he does this offseason, then i'll talk about Davis. Cuz if he gets into the game once again, at ANY POINT THIS SEASON. Rest assured our season is over, so it wont matter then, but i'll still watch and support cuz im a niner fan first.
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Sep 30, 2010 at 12:41 PM ]
The ignorance in this thread is absolutely astounding. Nate Davis sucks people, not that he doesn't have any talent at all, but he lacks the single most important thing to being successful, he doesn't care enough to work to get better. You can have all the talent in the world, but unless you apply yourself, you are wasting it.

so why do we keep Alex??

In terms of ability, Alex doesn't need to under throw a ball 60+ yards to make him better than Nate Davis.

speeking of memory....

Oh yeah speaking of memory

I can piece together a Ryan Leaf TD video if you want.. What does that prove?

Exactly, so what does one pass play where the O-Line is getting pushed into their quarterback prove?
  • fly15
  • Veteran

so why do we keep Alex??

In terms of ability, Alex doesn't need to under throw a ball 60+ yards to make him better than Nate Davis.

He cant anyways

Alex Smith - Fail
Troy Smith - unknown
Nate Davis - unknown

I do feel ignorant now... i was advocating for Nate Davis and didn't realize he'd played football with the 1's to really know what he was made of yet... I'll go back and find where he played 4 quarters of football with the 1's. I remember him tearin up ball state but not the 49ers, so i'll go back and watch and find where he was bad in the pocket under a NFL caliber offensive line... oh wait.

This is what it boils down to...

Alex Smith - 6 years in... 6 years suck
David Carr - Hasn't been here but a few months...
Troy Smith - don't make me laugh (heisman arguements fall on deaf ears see: Matt Leinart)
Nate Davis - has been in the "system" for 2 years, knows the offense. By that, i mean some plays AND the players, including having good chemistry with crabtree, you know... pretty good WR we have.

Ignorance, according to wiki, "Ignorance should be distinguished from stupidity, although both can lead to "unwise" acts. Also, if important information is available, one may fail to acquire it due to lack of intelligence (not realizing its importance, or not understanding it)." Dont talk about Nate Davis' pocket presence and ability in the offense being reasons he shouldn't play for us when using an arguement about ignorance, because you haven't seen what he's really able to do yet... that's why the Davis badwagon wants the chance to see him rise... or fall... at least it'd be a chance...

so why do we keep Alex??

He cant anyways

lol at least his arm isnt a noodle arm like Shaun Hill's. At least he can hit Ginn down the field in stride. Same with VD in that one long pass against the Rames last year. He chucked that thing 50-60 yards.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

Alex Smith - Fail
Troy Smith - unknown
Nate Davis - unknown

Let me tell you Memphis, I actually like Davis, but please, when he cant even put the time into getting better on his own, that said all i need to know. Your a grown ass man, and if your vying for a position, then your gonna eat sleep and breathe football, even in the offseason. But he decided to chill, and think that just because he does have intangibles that it's gonna automatically transfer onto the field.i.e. Crabtree in the pre-season.

The coaches wanted him before Carr, and he didnt show anything other than that one big throw to Ginn i think this season. Like Davis or not, give me a QB, that has at least Alex's work ethic with the Talent that Davis has. He has a disability so u'd think that would make him work even more, with that let me show u what u missed out on mentality.

Lets see what he does this offseason, then i'll talk about Davis. Cuz if he gets into the game once again, at ANY POINT THIS SEASON. Rest assured our season is over, so it wont matter then, but i'll still watch and support cuz im a niner fan first.

I liked he kid too, until I found out he doesn't care enough to work his ass off. I can think of no excuse for that, and given he has a learning disability, he should have worked even harder. Who knows, maybe being passed over by every other team in the NFL when we cut him will wake his ass up and maybe he turns himself into a professional caliber quarterback.
Share 49ersWebzone