LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 406 users in the forums

Solutions...smart discussion encouraged

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I have been a fan of the San Francisco 49ers since 1984 when the Montana/Marino Superbowl matchup caught my imagination. I was fortunate to enjoy most of the good times of the Superbowl era and watch many of the all-time greats on a weekly basis.

What has happened to our beloved team over the past decade is embarrasing and inexcusable. We were once the flagship franchise of the entire NFL. Now we are in a hamster-wheel "HELL" of rebuilding mode.

Rather than complain about it I am willing to offer my thoughts on what should happen. It won't happen but this is my way of venting. (This is not a newb post. I used to post under the name PensacolaNiner.)

1. Remove Mike Singletary as Head Coach. Replace him with Bill Cowher. Now that the grieving process is over for him he is ready to coach again and we should pay him whatever he asks. John Gruden or Jim Harbaugh could also work here.

2. Put a feeler out to Mike Leach and see if he would be interested in being an offensive coordinator in the NFL. He is still a young man, very intelligent, knows Crabtree's skill sets and could invigorate our offense. Think Mike Martz "lite."

3. Allow Alex Smith to finish the season as the starting QB. He is the most athletic quarterback on the roster which is required with our pourous offensive line. But I would do a few things differently. Send Alex in with three plays (2 pass, 1 run) out of the same formation and allow him to audible based on what the defense shows. Peyton Manning and the Colts use this and Alex seems to play better when given some freedom at the line of scrimmage. I would also give our other quarterbacks on the roster at least one series per game. We need to find out if any of them are worth retaining and we will never find out if Alex takes every snap.

4. Bring back the slant pass and 3-step-drop pass to our offense. Our line is too young and not talented enough to hold a block for deep routes yet we keep calling them. Throwing out the West-Coast Offense is one of the biggest mistakes our franchise ever made. True defenses had caught up with it to some degree but it should have evolved...not been canned.

5. We should practice more on screen passes. It is obvious year after year that we do not work this skill set enough because we are not good at it. Because our defense does not see it in practice they are not good at defending it.

6. Play-action passes are also non-existent in our offense. This needs to be rectified by Tuesday. As much as we currently run our receivers would be open often using this technique more.

7. Release Jerry Sullivan as wide receivers coach. Too long his work has been touted with less than stellar results in San Francisco.

8. Retain defensive staff if Cowher (or new coach) permits. I am discounting today's performance versus Kansas City and looking at their longer track record from last year and first two games this year. I think they are finally demoralized from the lackluster offense.

9. Insert Taylor Mays into more of the gameplan. Too athletic and fast to keep shelved and watch our slower safeties play in his stead.

10. Unleash our playmakers and not waste their years of service. Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Delanie Walker, Ted Ginn have the opportunity to be explosive and dynamic yet Frank Gore ends up being our top receiver. Our current QB waits until they are open to throw the ball rather than anticipating them to be open. So many times when we catch the ball our receivers are stopped rather than running in stride. What a tremdous waste of speed and accelaration. We have mismatches at all these positions and we waste it weekly by throwing to them when they are stopped on a curl route or sitting them in a zone. Tragic.

11. In 2011 draft a QB in Round One and another QB by Round Four. With our string of disasters in finding QB talent in the draft we need to take multiple shots. The QB from Stanford might work. I also watch the QB at Arkansas and Washington.

These changes won't be made but it made me feel better. The "Faithful" deserve better and changes need to be made. Let's hope ownership will do something soon and bring the flagship back to its rightful place.

ACQ
[ Edited by ArmchairQB on Sep 26, 2010 at 3:49 PM ]
Free Jimmy Raye.
Originally posted by jed_york:
Free Jimmy Raye.

Sorry bud..intellegnce was not displayed...They are not going to bring in a new caoch from outside of the organization during the season. NOt going to happen.

Secondly, keeping a loser at qb is not the solution either.
There is no solution until the Yorks no longer own this team.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Facebook like button
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Quote:
3. Allow Alex Smith to finish the season as the starting QB. He is the most athletic quarterback on the roster which is required with our pourous offensive line. But I would do a few things differently. Send Alex in with three plays (2 pass, 1 run) out of the same formation and allow him to audible based on what the defense shows. Peyton Manning and the Colts use this and Alex seems to play better when given some freedom at the line of scrimmage.

Makes too much sense....so you can be sure that this will not happen.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Exactly, if anyone doesn't think greatness begins at the top, and we have terrible owners, they are delusional.
Originally posted by kray28:
Quote:
3. Allow Alex Smith to finish the season as the starting QB. He is the most athletic quarterback on the roster which is required with our pourous offensive line. But I would do a few things differently. Send Alex in with three plays (2 pass, 1 run) out of the same formation and allow him to audible based on what the defense shows. Peyton Manning and the Colts use this and Alex seems to play better when given some freedom at the line of scrimmage.

Alex already has the ability to call his own plays.. He can change the play at any time...so what are you talking about?
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by kray28:
Quote:

Alex already has the ability to call his own plays.. He can change the play at any time...so what are you talking about?

How many times in his career have you seen him audible? I watch every game and cannot think of more than a few instances.

And this is not meant to be an anti-Alex thread. But it is obvious he needs to go. If he ever showed any emotion, fire, intensity, or that he was upset over losing I might stay with him longer. And don't tell me what he did at the end of today's game counts. It doesn't.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
0-4 here we come.

We need some Luck. Andrew Luck.

We are still in the NFC Less division so we could still salvage the season. No need to make wholesell changes that would take the whole year to implement. The easiest thing to do would be to fire Jimmy Raye. Now.
I think we need to fire Sing and Raye, Let Manusky be interim head coach and let the QB coach call the plays. In the off-season get someone like Gruden and ATTEMPT to sign an actual QB... No disrespect intended but Walsh past away, and with that any possibility of developing a QB on our own is not going to happen. As much as people hate the idea Vick would have been a nice pick-up! There is no use having all these weapons on offense if you don't have the QB to get them the ball. A LB like Joey Porter would have been a nice pick up as well but we passed on him TWICE. HOW DARE WE PASS ON PLAYERS IN CRITICAL POSITIONS WHEN WE DON'T HAVE ANYONE OF OUR OWN TO FILL THE ROLL, WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE. JED YORK NEEDS TO BE EXACTLY LIKE HIS UNCLE. FOR THOSE WHO DON'T REMEMBER EDDIE D FIRED A COORDINATOR AT A POST GAME PRESS CONFERENCE BEFORE THAT COORDINATOR WAS EVEN INFORMED... JED NEEDS TO SAY "HE'S OUTTA HERE" TO RAYE JUST LIKE OL UNCLE EDDIE DID...
1. Shorten the leash on Mike Singletary, that's Jed's job. I liked what he did with Martz, and to this day I belive that it was a mistake to let Martz go.
With a totally inadequate QB to run that kind of offence it looked as if we had an offence.
It's obvious that he needs a good stable of coaches arround him, he has to paired with a creative offensive mind somebody who is a bit wild, someone whom he has to calm down, like he did with Martz.

2. Raye has to be fired, let Mike Johnsosn take over his job. When the players are questioning the playcalling you know that it's over.
He has not shown that he is able to consistently call a good game. He had flashes which are then followed by abysmal performances. His time is over.

3. Smith, let him finish the year. Nate Davis is not ready, preseason is rubbish! After the year is done let's see if he is worth keeping.

4. Manusky, has to find a way to stop the screen, since we do not have any passrushers on the team who can get to the QB in a hurry, find a way to improve the coverage. The defence is giving up to many plays on crucial third downs, this has to stop.

5. Front office: find a passrusher, a one dimensional passrusher, somedbody teams have to plan how to stop him this would allow our other meidocre passruhers to get to the QB.

6.Special teams: get a return game. If none of the players is able to return kicks for a decent gain get someone of the street.

Starting iside your own 20 every time is tough on every offence.
Personally, I'd love to either see Manusky take over as HC or see John Gruden come in and take over. I think Manusky is more realistic. I don't see the York's giving Gruden the money he would want to coach us. Whatever changes we make, we have to get someone with some creativity on offense. We have to much talent to just piss it away like we are.
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Personally, I'd love to either see Manusky take over as HC or see John Gruden come in and take over. I think Manusky is more realistic. I don't see the York's giving Gruden the money he would want to coach us. Whatever changes we make, we have to get someone with some creativity on offense. We have to much talent to just piss it away like we are.

You have a great chance of seeing Manusky as HC.

~ He's the least experienced internal candidate (Yorks love this).
~ He'll come cheap...
~ He's a defense guy who has not much of a clue about offense.

A perfect York hire after sing.
Share 49ersWebzone