LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Solutions...smart discussion encouraged

Shop Find 49ers gear online
the solutions are just not on this team currently. There is not a mix of players/coaches/strategies that can overcome the deficiencies Singletary, Raye and Smith bring with them. Also, I do not believe changing one of those components is enough to turn this around as well. There is not a o.c. that could be had or one promoted from within to overcome smith's shortcomings. vice-versa, there is not a qb to be had out on the market or one on the roster to be promoted from within that can overcome raye's. At this point, in my eyes, a new o.c. and qb combination could be enough to mask singletary's shortcomings, the perferable solution is obviously to clean house of all three. In either scenario, it doesn't salvage the season but could be done to a degree to ressurect the outlook for next.
Raye has yo go, NOW. The locker room will be lost, if it hasn't happened already.
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Raye has yo go, NOW. The locker room will be lost, if it hasn't happened already.

Based on their body language I'm pretty sure Raye has lost at least half the locker room. The defensive players are fed up. You can probably bet the receivers are also fed up.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by kray28:
Quote:
3. Allow Alex Smith to finish the season as the starting QB. He is the most athletic quarterback on the roster which is required with our pourous offensive line. But I would do a few things differently. Send Alex in with three plays (2 pass, 1 run) out of the same formation and allow him to audible based on what the defense shows. Peyton Manning and the Colts use this and Alex seems to play better when given some freedom at the line of scrimmage.

Makes too much sense....so you can be sure that this will not happen.

Alex already has the ability to call his own plays.. He can change the play at any time...so what are you talking about?

If this were true (and it is not), then Alex would not be questioning the play calling on the sideline. He clearly doesn't have the ad-hoc authority to audible out of calls based on pre-snap reads. Why do we know this....because he basically never audibles out.
During coach Singletary's post game presser. He indicated big changes to come, then he proudly told the media what that change will be:

Coach Singletary for the first time is going to watch the films. Watch out NFL, in addition to motivation, coach Singletary is going to go X and O from this point onward.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
To clarify, Alex supposedly has the authority to call plays on his own if a playcall doesn't come in on time. This was CYA statement made by Raye after Week 1 when everyone was on him for not getting the calls in on time.

But he's coached to run whatever they give him to run....he is not encouraged to think the game and take any kind of ownership of the offense.
To clarify, Alex supposedly has the authority to call plays on his own if a playcall doesn't come in on time. This was CYA statement made by Raye after Week 1 when everyone was on him for not getting the calls in on time.

But he's coached to run whatever they give him to run....he is not encouraged to think the game and take any kind of ownership of the offense.

I love alex smith. But, 6 years is too long. Bless him and let him go to another team. We can move on with out him.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
There is no solution until the Yorks no longer own this team.

Exactly, if anyone doesn't think greatness begins at the top, and we have terrible owners, they are delusional.

While I agree with you about greatness starting at the top, I will point out that the Rams won with Georgia Frontiere as the owner.
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:

I love alex smith. But, 6 years is too long. Bless him and let him go to another team. We can move on with out him.

i hope smith goes to another team and tears it up, i never hated the guy and wished the best. this organization set him up to fail
One idea:

1. Hire a young, innovative offensive coach as our next HC. He should be hired BEFORE next year's scouting combine.

2. Next year's draft looks promising at the QB position. Have our new HC select the QB that best fits HIS system. Make no mistake, we need a new QB.

3. Draft and sign free agents that are FAST PLAYMAKERS, regardless of position. An average team, i.e. KC, can turn around quickly with the addition of two guys, Charles and McCluster, that fit that mold. See also, Philly's DeSean Jackson, Pittsburgh's Mike Wallace, Tennessee's Charles Johnson, Buffalo's CJ Spiller. What do these players have in common besides being FAST PLAYMAKERS? They were drafted despite the fact that their teams were thought to already have good depth, and thus no need, at their respective positions.

4. Trade Frank Gore NOW. I love him. And our slide is not his fault. But he gets us the most value. Trade him to New England for their 1st (NE has Oakland's 1st as well, I think).

5. Start Nate Davis the rest of the year. I want our new coach to have plenty of film on this guy. We have needs everywhere. I'd hate to draft a QB in the first if our QB of the future is on our practice squad right now. I don't trust Sing's evaluation of Davis. Sing has not evaluated any portion of this team correctly.

I think I have seen enough of A. Smith... He reminds me of a co-worker who strives to never be at fault. not a bad guy, just not a leader. Throwing to the back shoulder of an outlet receiver for a scintillating 6" gain on 3rd and twenty tells me what I need to know. He can throw, he can run, he can learn an offense, he can't QB. It's going to be a long season.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

Exactly, if anyone doesn't think greatness begins at the top, and we have terrible owners, they are delusional.

While I agree with you about greatness starting at the top, I will point out that the Rams won with Georgia Frontiere as the owner.

Please do not try to insult by comparing this ownership to Georgia Frontiere. or try to compare our great Singletary to that little Dick Vermeil or Martz. Our experienced Jimmy rayes to that reckless Martz.
If it becomes clear Singletary has lost the team then I'd say dump Raye and Sing, then hire Rathman as HC and promote Johnson to OC and name Manusky assistant head coach.
Originally posted by jed_york:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

Please do not try to insult by comparing this ownership to Georgia Frontiere. or try to compare our great Singletary to that little Dick Vermeil or Martz. Our experienced Jimmy rayes to that reckless Martz.

I agree with you about Frontiere but you are Way offbase about Singletary. Vermiel had a plan in place that brought the Rams from obscurity to superbowl champions. Until Sing wins a championship he will be a lesser coach than Vermiel and Martz was the architect of that potent offense so Martz has a step up on Singletary too.

The 49ers are going to have to clean house in the offseason. Singletary, Raye, and Smith will be gone. I would not be surprised to see Marty Schotenheimer coach this team next year. His brother is our special teams coordinator and Manusky served under him in San Diego as a position coach so there is chemistry there. Schotenheimer may even be able to convince linehan to come over as assistant head coach and OC. Something has to change and right now the playcalling makes the most sense. Does singletary have the balls to take the playcalling away from Raye?Probably not.
I really think our problem is philosophical (coaches) related... we have one of the most talented team in the nfl or at least above average but we cant see their production on the field, today we saw one team with way less weapons or at least different weapons (their running backs were pretty good) but their game plan was perfect to play against us instead we thought we could run the ball down their throats and when we couldn't .... well we still try to run the ball and we were losing by 3 tds and well we still try to run the ball... come on!!!!

there are coaches in this league with less talented teams winning games, we need an x and o head coach who can change and adapt for different teams and that he is able to think creatively and adjust game plans in half times, we need someone who is up to the league and that know whats happening in 2010 not in 1985...

I think we really need a change..
Share 49ersWebzone