LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Solutions...smart discussion encouraged

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think Gruden's contract with ESPN make it impossible for him to be hired mid season. IF Sing is fired during the season I would think Manusky would take over as interim coach and hopefully Raye would be let go too. I doubt that happens though. I think Raye should have the playcalling taken away from him and lets see what Michael Johnson can do with the offense. Thats not gonna happen though because Singletary is backing Raye.
here are some simple things that alex smith needs in order to succeed:

1)better head coach (to make the rest of the team as good as Alex)
2)better offensive coordinator (better gameplan, and playcalling)
3)betta O-line(more time needed for alex to hold on to the ball, to find an open WR)
4)better wide recievers (to catch the dang ball)
5)better 49ers defense (to give alex the ball back, more chances for him)
6)bigger hands(to grip better and throw better)
7)less crowd noise from opposing teams(so he can concentrate)
8)a football equipped to fly lower(NFL needs to look into this)
9)Easier opponents(not fair to alex cause we have a hard early schedule)
10)more years in the same system so he can learn(did u kno, alex is the smartest guy on our team? he jusss needs a few more years to realize his potential)

with these 10 simple things, Alex smith can easily take us to a 7-9 record, and give us hope, the following year, of probably making the playoffs, maybe....

(btw, this is a total sarcastic post, i hate alex smith, and believe we are not going anywhere with him as our qb....)
[ Edited by Afghan49er on Sep 26, 2010 at 7:54 PM ]
This is a great topic.

I am a loooong-time niner fan and I never post but today's game was a real eye-opener for me. I cannot hold back my thoughts, otherwise I won't be able to sleep tonight. So here is what I think the 49ers can do to get better.

Short-Term (For this season):
- Fire Raye and make Mike Johnson the OC
- Receivers coach Jerry Sullivan has utterly failed to teach the players how to run routes and get separation. Fire him and find someone who can teach this.
- Bench Crabtree until he knows the playbook
- Hire a proven QC (quality control) coach to teach the team basics about not giving up the ball, not to give up penalties, time management, stripping the ball etc. This basic level of coaching is missing on this team
- Stop this loyalty nonsense with Gore. Send in Dixon and Westbrook for more plays.
- Invest in improving our O-Line and D-Line. Continuity with O-line and their getting better is key to our future success. Good lines are critical to creating winning teams building a dynasty.
- Give another 5-6 games to Alex and see what he does. If he does not improve significantly then let Carr and Nate Davis start a few games each so we can tell what we have in them.
- I was the biggest supporter of Alex and I really wish him well. He has shown flashes of playing well but then he plays terribly and throws high, inaccurate passes. He is jumpy and he seems to make the whole offense nervous. I don't know if he has the instinct to be an NFL QB, we should know definitively by the end of this season.
- Looks like another tough season for 49ers fans. If someone steps up big time, Alex or Dixon or we suddenly find a pass-rusher, we may make the playoffs. I hope we get to the playoffs but what's the point? We won't be going far.

Longer-term:
- The main problem is that Jed York and Paraag want to play GM.
- They don't want to bring in a solid coach or GM because they don't want to have an ELDER in the room who knows what he is talking about. This team is Jed's play-toy, he wants to be the person running the 49ers and so he will only bring in WEAK people who don't threaten his (and his friend Paraag's) sense of control.
- There is a saying: A people hire other A people, while B people hire C people.
- Jed and Paraag are B (or C) people. They have not done anything in their lives or have shown any competence in anything. They did not build any teams or organizations or businesses. Jed was born into it while his dad married into it. Would you even hire Jed York to run a 7-11? But alas, we have him running our great 49ers.
- That is why Mooch was fired by Dr. York after 12-4 season and going into the playoffs.
- That is why they did not bring in Holmgren (who would love to come home to SF and to his beloved 49ers) and they will not bring in Cowher or Gruden etc.
- The Yorks made a huge mistake a few years ago when they called Nolan to fire him but they let Nolan talk them into keeping him as HC for another season. He was so bad, they fired him mid-season and the only person they could make HC at the time was Singletary.
- The team rallied and they made the mistake of keeping Singletary.
- Singletary is a great guy, a good human being but he is NOT fit to be a head coach. Has there been any head coach of any successful team who was not an X and O guy? No, I didn't think so. Would you have a guy do brain surgery on you just because he was a good guy but he was not trained for that job. No, I didn't think so either. He was never even a college HC or a coordinator. So, how can we make someone HC who does not have the skills for that job and has never done it before? Only in the Land of York's is that possible.
- I am sure the bottom line is that Jed York wants the 49ers to do really well and win the Super Bowl. I hope he will get smarter with time and realize he needs to get competent people in all positions to be able to do that. People like his uncle Eddie who have built companies know instinctively who is a real deal and who is feeding them BS and they have the good sense to find good people like Bill Walsh and then keep them and let them reach great success. Jed's life experiences have given him no such instinct so far. He can make up for this limitation by selecting people who are PROVEN in their jobs.
- I hope they have the sense to bring in a new, proven Head Coach and to draft a QB. Also, get a proven, experienced QB. I wish we had gone for McNabb.
- We have a lot of pieces in place in this team that with good coaching and a decent QB we can be very successful.

Go Niners!!!
  • dj43
Originally posted by kray28:
To clarify, Alex supposedly has the authority to call plays on his own if a playcall doesn't come in on time. This was CYA statement made by Raye after Week 1 when everyone was on him for not getting the calls in on time.

But he's coached to run whatever they give him to run....he is not encouraged to think the game and take any kind of ownership of the offense.

Also, when the package that is in the game is geared to a run up the middle, it is pretty hard to audible something like a 17 yard dig route.
I feel....numb...

When everyone else was all gloom doom (the last 2 seasons), I thought "these guys are crazy. Don't they see the potential in this team?"

side thought - draft day 6 years ago, I'm STILL furious that we didn't pick Rogers. That was random but that thought really does come to me randomly like that.

I thought Singletary knew what he was doing. I believed. I bought into it. Until I read one little thing that I TRIED MY BEST to overlook and accept: "The QB is no more important than anyone else on the team" Huh??!! Wait...what??!! Excuse me while I check my calendar....let's see....September 27...19....wait....there's no 19 in the year....2000s?? this is the 2000s? 2010 no less?? You guys have to excuse me. I was looking at our coaching philosophy and it made me forget what decade this was. See I was thinking closer to 1980something. My bad. Give me a moment to update *updating*. Ok updated. Now I will react again. WHAT THE F***??!! Quarterback is no more important to the team than anybody else? In 2010, eh. *deep sigh and meditation period*.

Dispite this outragous revelation in philosophy, I remained hopeful. I didn't lose faith. After Seattle? A fluke loss. Playoff contenders? Maybe not but the Seattle game was not who we were (I still believe that much, at least). Based on talent and pride alone I felt we would be competitive against N.O. I was right. Ego got a lil bigger (didn't think that was possible for me) with a successful prediction.

...and then my ego played against the KC Chiefs. And it used Jimmy Raye's playbook. My ego is now injured for the season. It got it's a** handed to it (do egos have a**es?). *deep meditation*

Ok I lost my train of thought. Gotta learn to keep these emotions in check. Maybe I should replace "meditation" with "medication". What do you guys think? Don't answer that. My ego may not be able to take your answer.

SOOOOOO. Here we are. Fans. Once divided now united again. That's a positive thing, right? Right? Another random thought - Question: Who's a better QB - Matt Cassel or Alex Smith? Answer: Neither. Question Part II: Who has more talent surrounding him on both sides of the ball? Answer: Neither Part II.

So why is one of those guys 0-3 and the other 3-0? Answer: KC and SF are actually one team looking in a mirror...get it? Yea that was a HORRIBLE joke, I know. Much like our team at this point...
The receivers need to learn how to get open and we need to send our guys down the field, not on constant, short yardage, crossing routes. On the failed flea-flicker, Vernon Davis had tons of open space he could have ran to, but instead he sat in place, in front of the line of scrimmage! Aaaahhhhhhhhhh.........
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
The receivers need to learn how to get open and we need to send our guys down the field, not on constant, short yardage, crossing routes. On the failed flea-flicker, Vernon Davis had tons of open space he could have ran to, but instead he sat in place, in front of the line of scrimmage! Aaaahhhhhhhhhh.........

Ziggy had that one really nice diving catch on the sideline. I saw Davone Bess make a similar catch to that twice today in the MNF game.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
There is no solution until the Yorks no longer own this team.

I fully agree with this. With his illegal gambling, Eddie put the team where it is now. So sad after the many very great things he did !
1. Make Mike Johnson call the plays.
2. Retain Jimmy Raye as an offensive assistant.
3. I'm sure Manusky is aware of it, but tell him he needs to do more with regard to screen plays.

Those are just about the only solutions that can be reasonably implemented to salvage anything at all for this season..

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Sep 27, 2010 at 12:53 AM ]
Andrew Luck

Gruden/Billick/Cowher/Mooch

We are on our way to drafting a QB in the first round. Alex will be better on another team with real coaches. Marry Luck to one of those coaches and let them groom him into a franchise QB.

Those coaches have to bring in their own staff. We need an X's and O's OC. A motivator like Cowher who also understands the game would work. Gruden is a genius and should be the number 1 option.

The NFL is about strategy, X's and O's, and mismatches. Singletary cannot implement a 70's style in todays NFL.

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by calbear:
Andrew Luck

Gruden/Billick/Cowher/Mooch

We are on our way to drafting a QB in the first round. Alex will be better on another team with real coaches. Marry Luck to one of those coaches and let them groom him into a franchise QB.

Those coaches have to bring in their own staff. We need an X's and O's OC. A motivator like Cowher who also understands the game would work. Gruden is a genius and should be the number 1 option.

The NFL is about strategy, X's and O's, and mismatches. Singletary cannot implement a 70's style in todays NFL.

Agreed.
Originally posted by deepaks:
This is a great topic.

I am a loooong-time niner fan and I never post but today's game was a real eye-opener for me. I cannot hold back my thoughts, otherwise I won't be able to sleep tonight. So here is what I think the 49ers can do to get better.

- Receivers coach Jerry Sullivan has utterly failed to teach the players how to run routes and get separation. Fire him and find someone who can teach this.
- Hire a proven QC (quality control) coach to teach the team basics about not giving up the ball, not to give up penalties, time management, stripping the ball etc. This basic level of coaching is missing on this team
- Stop this loyalty nonsense with Gore. Send in Dixon and Westbrook for more plays.
- Invest in improving our O-Line and D-Line. Continuity with O-line and their getting better is key to our future success. Good lines are critical to creating winning teams building a dynasty.
- Give another 5-6 games to Alex and see what he does. If he does not improve significantly then let Carr and Nate Davis start a few games each so we can tell what we have in them.
- I was the biggest supporter of Alex and I really wish him well. He has shown flashes of playing well but then he plays terribly and throws high, inaccurate passes. He is jumpy and he seems to make the whole offense nervous. I don't know if he has the instinct to be an NFL QB, we should know definitively by the end of this season.
- Looks like another tough season for 49ers fans. If someone steps up big time, Alex or Dixon or we suddenly find a pass-rusher, we may make the playoffs. I hope we get to the playoffs but what's the point? We won't be going far.

Longer-term:
- They don't want to bring in a solid coach or GM because they don't want to have an ELDER in the room who knows what he is talking about. This team is Jed's play-toy, he wants to be the person running the 49ers and so he will only bring in WEAK people who don't threaten his (and his friend Paraag's) sense of control.
- There is a saying: A people hire other A people, while B people hire C people.
- Jed and Paraag are B (or C) people. They have not done anything in their lives or have shown any competence in anything. They did not build any teams or organizations or businesses. Jed was born into it while his dad married into it. Would you even hire Jed York to run a 7-11? But alas, we have him running our great 49ers.
- That is why Mooch was fired by Dr. York after 12-4 season and going into the playoffs.
- That is why they did not bring in Holmgren (who would love to come home to SF and to his beloved 49ers) and they will not bring in Cowher or Gruden etc.
- The Yorks made a huge mistake a few years ago when they called Nolan to fire him but they let Nolan talk them into keeping him as HC for another season. He was so bad, they fired him mid-season and the only person they could make HC at the time was Singletary.
- Singletary is a great guy, a good human being but he is NOT fit to be a head coach. Has there been any head coach of any successful team who was not an X and O guy? No, I didn't think so. Would you have a guy do brain surgery on you just because he was a good guy but he was not trained for that job. No, I didn't think so either. He was never even a college HC or a coordinator. So, how can we make someone HC who does not have the skills for that job and has never done it before? Only in the Land of York's is that possible.
- I am sure the bottom line is that Jed York wants the 49ers to do really well and win the Super Bowl. I hope he will get smarter with time and realize he needs to get competent people in all positions to be able to do that. People like his uncle Eddie who have built companies know instinctively who is a real deal and who is feeding them BS and they have the good sense to find good people like Bill Walsh and then keep them and let them reach great success. Jed's life experiences have given him no such instinct so far. He can make up for this limitation by selecting people who are PROVEN in their jobs.
- I hope they have the sense to bring in a new, proven Head Coach and to draft a QB. Also, get a proven, experienced QB. I wish we had gone for McNabb.
- We have a lot of pieces in place in this team that with good coaching and a decent QB we can be very successful.

Go Niners!!!

I agree and great read by the way...

For me the worse part is that there is nothing as fans that we can actually do. It seems like the 49ers have the door closed to criticism and they won't listen to their fan base. I don't think they understand what's wrong with the team, but it's so clear to everyone else. Us fans are just stuck here till someone actually does something right, it's been 8 years already. How many more years? It seems like this bad times will never end. Sing and his whole coaching staff aren't the answer and Jed need to have some balls and do something drastic soon.

Lucky punk Jed put the vote for the stadium when the team actually had hype going for it. If not the stadium vote would have fail. Jed has A LOT to loose if he doesn't put his foot down and command excellence.
Since it´s not very likley that Raye will be fired, allthough he should, the gameplan has to be changed.

our gameplan this year is where it was up to halftime in gme 6. up the middle, up the middle, incomplete pass. punt.

The offence has to be opened up. More more 3 Wr sets, more crativity use a 21 set with vernon and Delanie with a playaction fake to one of them on the outside.

trips Wr on the far eend of the field, vernons split out to the right, and then use an inside handoff.
Gore has proven that he is also a very effective runner from the Shotgun.

This worked very well last year, why we reversed back to "up the middle for no gain" is unclear to me it did not work last year it does not work this year.

It might work here and there, especially if you catch a defence off guard and you run form a singleback configuration, with vernon split out wide.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by deepaks:
This is a great topic.

Longer-term:

Go Niners!!!

I agree with mostly everything, but there's just one minor thing...Steve Mariucci did go 12-4, but he was just as spineless then as Singletary is now. Down 28-6 in the playoffs in Tampa Bay with some time remaining before the end of the half, he decided to have the team take a knee instead of trying to get some momentum and put a few points on the board. It was pretty weak and I think that's a big reason why he got fired. I was all for bringing in a new, more aggressive type of coach. Little did we know that he would be replaced with Erickson, Nolan, and now Singletary. Damn...maybe we kept the wrong Mike this season. Martz seems to be doing OK in Chicago.
Originally posted by ArmchairQB:
I have been a fan of the San Francisco 49ers since 1984 when the Montana/Marino Superbowl matchup caught my imagination. I was fortunate to enjoy most of the good times of the Superbowl era and watch many of the all-time greats on a weekly basis.

Nice post... welcome to the board. For every 50 new trolls we get a poster that is knowledgeable and puts a little thought into his posts. Most people's first threads are "Alex Smith Suxs", "Fire Everyone Now" or "Why can't we trade for Peyton Manning, I did it on Madden?".
Share 49ersWebzone