LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Solutions...smart discussion encouraged

Shop Find 49ers gear online
4. Bring back the slant pass and 3-step-drop pass to our offense. Our line is too young and not talented enough to hold a block for deep routes yet we keep calling them. Throwing out the West-Coast Offense is one of the biggest mistakes our franchise ever made. True defenses had caught up with it to some degree but it should have evolved...not been canned.

Bring back the West Coast offense in key along with a coach that can implement it
[ Edited by MiamiNiner on Sep 27, 2010 at 5:43 AM ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
4. Bring back the slant pass and 3-step-drop pass to our offense. Our line is too young and not talented enough to hold a block for deep routes yet we keep calling them. Throwing out the West-Coast Offense is one of the biggest mistakes our franchise ever made. True defenses had caught up with it to some degree but it should have evolved...not been canned.

Bring back the West Coast offense in key number on with a coach that can implement it

Sometimes I wonder how our team would be doing right now if we kept Norv Turner.
Originally posted by ArmchairQB:
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by kray28:
Quote:
3. Allow Alex Smith to finish the season as the starting QB. He is the most athletic quarterback on the roster which is required with our pourous offensive line. But I would do a few things differently. Send Alex in with three plays (2 pass, 1 run) out of the same formation and allow him to audible based on what the defense shows. Peyton Manning and the Colts use this and Alex seems to play better when given some freedom at the line of scrimmage.

Makes too much sense....so you can be sure that this will not happen.

Alex already has the ability to call his own plays.. He can change the play at any time...so what are you talking about?

How many times in his career have you seen him audible? I watch every game and cannot think of more than a few instances.

And this is not meant to be an anti-Alex thread. But it is obvious he needs to go. If he ever showed any emotion, fire, intensity, or that he was upset over losing I might stay with him longer. And don't tell me what he did at the end of today's game counts. It doesn't.

I highly doubt Singletary and Raye said, Alex... audible whenever you want. When he has gotten to call the plays in the past they usually move the ball well (in spread formation). I think it's more Alex, if they play isn't in by 15 seconds call your own play as long as it is a run up the middle. I will disagree with you and say Alex has heart and puts in the effort for us. He just isn't that type of guy to start throwing people under the bus. The most you get out of him is a pissed off look or a fist throw. What do you want him to do? Say Jimmy Raye has to go.... I bet Singletary would bench him then. It looks like Smith's time has run out but I don't think people should be saying he didn't want to be the guy for this team. Remember when he went out and kept playing after his 3rd degree shoulder separation? Only to get hit again and then have Nolan throw him under the bus and questioned his toughness. I am not saying Smith would have worked out but so many things went against him. I think he would have been a lot better (look at the Norv Turner year) but not sure he would have been an elite QB.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 27, 2010 at 4:03 AM ]
Originally posted by B650:

Bring back the West Coast offense in key number on with a coach that can implement it

Sometimes I wonder how our team would be doing right now if we kept Norv Turner.

Yeah, what could have been. Larry Allen helped out a ton that year as well. Too bad he couldn't have played longer. Still mad SD took Turner....
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by B650:

Yeah, what could have been. Larry Allen helped out a ton that year as well. Too bad he couldn't have played longer. Still mad SD took Turner....

f**k our lives. Will we ever get better. Pretty s**tty were more talented than other teams and can't get it together. Hopefully someone great in coaching will see that and want to come here.
  • bret
  • Veteran
Stay the course this year. I don't want another defensive coach - even Cowher (as if he'd come here anyway). And Gruden? You've got to be kidding me! An if we don't say the course, we might improve just enough to fall out of the QB sweepstakes in next year's draft.

Sell the farm to bring in Jim Harbaugh or Chris Peterson. Someone with an x's and o's offensive back-ground, and with a spark of creativity. I mention Harbaugh because his coming might help convince Luck to come out (although I'm afraid the impending lock-out might nix that whole scenario!) Chris Peterson is the one I really want to see.

Get a QB with strength, accuracy and moxie in round one, then draft speed, speed, and more speed! (Speed rushers, speed receivers, and corners with speed!)

We'll be competitive in year one!
There is a problem with leadership on this team. How are we down 31-3 twice already and the season is only 3 games deep?
Share 49ersWebzone