LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

The Best All-Time 49er Defensive Player?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The Best All-Time 49er Defensive Player?

I honestly believe there is a new undisputed champion in the making. And we're all lucky enough to see it happening.

and it aint David Gerrard
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BSacamano:
Originally posted by crabman82:
only played 1 year, but i'm going with dieon, when u have a year like he did in 94, u dont need any additional seasons to be in the discussion

Blasphemy. Deion was nothing more than a rented Cowboy.

That and he wasn't even a complete player at his position. Get a running back loose in the secondary and he was looking for a place to hide. He was a total sissy, I think he is way overrated, I have no respect for a gutless coward on a football field.
It's clearly Lott but in 10 years there could be a discussion between Lott and Willis
Deion!!! DEION!!!

Ronnie Lott, and it's not even close!!
only played 1 year, but i'm going with dieon, when u have a year like he did in 94, u dont need any additional seasons to be in the discussion

Did you even read the subject of this thread? ALL TIME BEST EVER.. Deion doesn't even make the list.
Originally posted by montana4ever:
Ronnie Lott, and it's not even close!!

It will be when Willis is done.
No option for Leo Nomellini?
That's a tough one.

Two names that aren't on the list and might be worth Googling if you're unfamiliar with them are Leo Nomellini and Jimmy Johnson. I think they're Lott's only serious rivals for Best All-Time Defensive Niner honors. In fact, there's a pretty good argument to be made that the real competition should between Nomellini and Johnson, with Lott as the dark horse.

Edit: Aw Nuts, 1st page of the thread was kicked wide by the Jennings pictures and it looked like the thread only had one page. Sorry about the redundant mentions of Johnson and Nomellini--and forgive me for omiting Wilcox! Brain isn't what it used to be.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Aug 31, 2010 at 5:52 PM ]
Originally posted by Byisgod:
No option for Leo Nomellini?

how old are you

Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by BSacamano:

Blasphemy. Deion was nothing more than a rented Cowboy.

That and he wasn't even a complete player at his position. Get a running back loose in the secondary and he was looking for a place to hide. He was a total sissy, I think he is way overrated, I have no respect for a gutless coward on a football field.

Deion's a HOF'er . . . but as a one year rental he doesn't even make my All-Time 49er team.
In fact, you could also argue that Ken Norton should be DQ'd from that list on similar grounds. That being said, I think the stronger argument is that Norton was a Niner. Would be interesting to see what others think.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
In fact, you could also argue that Ken Norton should be DQ'd from that list on similar grounds. That being said, I think the stronger argument is that Norton was a Niner. Would be interesting to see what others think.

I am not feeling Ken Norton.. He had 4 or 5 very good years with the 49ers, but when comparing him to other great 49er LBs he doesn't stack up. The best ever 49er LB is Dave Wilcox, the only 49er LB in the HOF..

Ronnie Lott gets my vote for best ever 49er defensive player.
Wilcox, I should've been more clear in my post, I wasn't suggesting that Norton should get the honor, far from it. In fact, I don't think he's anywhere near the short list. (see my post half way up the page)

I was merely suggesting that it could be argued that Norton could be disqualified from contention because he was a free agent pick up and subsequently wasn't a "real" Niner, an argument that I ultimately don't agree with. I think Norton, at the end of the day, was first and foremost a Niner. Not the best ever-- not by a long shot--but a Niner just the same.
Just going thru the post and one can tell that we have a very young fanbase on the Zone (minus the folks who mentioned the older HOF'ers in our franchise).

IMO, Lott wins the best ever but J. Johnson comes close for me. Honorable mention goes to E. Wright (even R. Lott said if he didn't get hurt, would have been a HOF'er)...

Share 49ersWebzone