There are 231 users in the forums

The Best All-Time 49er Defensive Player?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The Best All-Time 49er Defensive Player?

Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Ronnie Lott currently. If Willis continues his pace for a decade with this team, he will then be given that honor.

This. Them's some big shoes to fill, though!
Any BEST ALL-TIME 49er Defensive player list MUST include the following players:

Leo Nomellini
Jimmy Johnson
Dave Wilcox

Ken Norton and Dana Stabblefiled have no business being included.

Oh yeah.. The best ever 49er defensive player... Ronnie Lott
only played 1 year, but i'm going with dieon, when u have a year like he did in 94, u dont need any additional seasons to be in the discussion
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Any BEST ALL-TIME 49er Defensive player list MUST include the following players:

Leo Nomellini
Jimmy Johnson
Dave Wilcox

who are those f**king noobs

just kidding, although its kinda sad to think in 50 years, kids will be asking 'patrick who?'

Leo Nomellini
Jimmy Johnson
Dave Wilcox

this.

Also... Eric Davis?
Originally posted by crabman82:
only played 1 year, but i'm going with dieon, when u have a year like he did in 94, u dont need any additional seasons to be in the discussion

Blasphemy. Deion was nothing more than a rented Cowboy.
I voted for Lott, but struggled deciding between Lott and Dean. Didn't Dean revolutionize the so-called elephant position along the line.
  • bret
  • Veteran

Leo Nomellini
Jimmy Johnson
Dave Wilcox

I agree with you 100%. And though I believe Ronnie Lott was our greatest defensive player hands down, I voted Jimmy Johnson, because he should have a least been in the discussion!

Eric Davis BTW would have to rank not only behind him, but also behind Eric Wright who was our top cover corner after Johnson.

Stubbleiled had a great year, but his career doesn't come close to Bryant Young, or going back a few years, Charlie Krueger (and though I loved Krueger, I wouldn't consider him close to our greatest ever!)

And Ken Norton shouldn't even be in the same conversation with Dave Wilcox, either!

Leo Nomellini
Jimmy Johnson
Dave Wilcox

Ken Norton and Dana Stubblefield have no business being included.

All of the above.
Jimmy "They never threw to my side" Johnson or Ronnie.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Aug 31, 2010 at 7:45 PM ]

Leo Nomellini
Jimmy Johnson
Dave Wilcox

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

Leo Nomellini
Jimmy Johnson
Dave Wilcox

Ken Norton and Dana Stubblefield have no business being included.

All of the above.
Jimmy "They never threw my way" Johnson or Ronnie.

I read somewhere that dr. z (god of football writers) called jimmy johnson the best cover corner ever.

His brother was Rafer Johnson, old school olympic legend, some crazy genetics in that family.
Marquez Pope
You left out a bunch of old timers:

Jimmy Johnson CB
Dave Wilcox LB
Leo Nomellini DT

Gotta give credit where credit is due.....
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Stupid Question! Ronnie Lott without a doubt! They way he impacted the position and the game! He put the fear of god into opposing receivers making them drop the ball just by them hearing his footsteps!

For Patrick to be up there, it's going to take some SB rings!

As much as i love Eric Davis, he shouldn't be on this list! I would put Charles Haley in front of Patrick Willis for now. That dude was one mean SOB!
How many years would P. Willy have to play at the level he is currently playing at before he surpasses Lott??
Share 49ersWebzone