LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

What does Alex need to do this season to get a contract extension?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What does Alex need to do this season to get a contract extension?

blow Jed York? I am not sure.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Be a consistent passer and put up respectable numbers. ACTUALLY show me some fire on the field and take control of the season and finally put your mark on this franchise, instead of the BUST mark many people know you by.
Lead the team to the playoffs and put up a decent fight in the playoffs.
alex smith must become a top 10 qb in the league and sign for a resonable wage...if he asks for top 6-8 money yet his production is outside looking in on that 8th spot, then he's got to go. at his best he still will never have the instinct for the game.

in my opinion, i think alex is already a top 15-20 qb off of what he did the past season, i just don't think that means much. there are only 6-7 qbs worth having, after that its just trent dilfer manage the game territory.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Be a consistent passer and put up respectable numbers. ACTUALLY show me some fire on the field and take control of the season and finally put your mark on this franchise, instead of the BUST mark many people know you by.

Super Ditto!!!

Dirty
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Win ten or more games this year! Have an 85 or higher passer rating. And last but not least, he has to assert himself and tell Jimmy Raye that running up the middle against a good run defense is putting me in a bind, we need to pass on first downs.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He needs to show he can hit recievers in stride, show better accuracy in his overall game. That's been the knock on him, his accuracy. That shoulder should be better now so no more excuses. If he wins, everything else will follow.
If we make the playoffs then I say give him an extension, but regardless of how well he plays, he doesn't deserve a huge contract. His extension should be somewhere in the average range with incentive clauses. In reality he should still be paying the team back for all the dough they shelled out on him already, lol.
Alex doesn't always have to win cames but he can never lose them.
He needs @ least 5 more TDs than int.
He doesn't have to be Peyton manning but he can be trent dilfer on the SB winning ravens.
Smith is not the type of QB who you ask to put the team on his shoulders. You simply ask him to
Play simple mistake free football.
Look @ Big Bens first 2 years, he only had like 17 TDs in each, they didn't ask him to win games
That just played simple, smash mouth, mistake free football.
I know Alex can do it and as a loyal fan I will stick by him until he makes a mistake lol!!!!
Then we an dump him off on some other team.
I'm not a big AS fan...however since he is a 49er,
I do root for him to do well. Therefore, if it were
my money he has to:

• take total control of the offense
  • hit his receivers in stride, and...
  • bring the passes down, so he won't get the WR's killed
  • win some non conference/division games, especially on the road
  • throw more TD's, than INT's
  • compile a 10-6 season (minimum) record
  • get the Niners to the Playoffs
  • once in the Playoffs; win or lose, play like a Champion

You all have established good (and reasonable) tangible benchmarks for A.Smith to have to achieve in order for his services to be retained by the 49er's beyond 2010.

But I think "Kolohe" and "SouthoftheSlot9er" are on to something, when they hint that it's got to be more than just numbers for Niner management to offer Smith an extension. Smith needs to gain the confidence of his teammates and coaches; something that he doesn't truly have at this moment. He needs to show command of the offensive scheme and in the huddle during games. Wouldn't hurt to be a little more vocal in the locker room and off-the-field, without being a loudmouth. I realize that he's rather soft-spoken. Find ways to make his teammates better and successful. I recognize that he doesn't have complete control over every situation, but it's the intangibles as much as the actual "numbers" that are going to determine if he remains with the team in 2011 and beyond.
Originally posted by mayo63:
He needs to show he can hit recievers in stride, show better accuracy in his overall game. That's been the knock on him, his accuracy. That shoulder should be better now so no more excuses. If he wins, everything else will follow.

Exactly. Wins and losses can be the fault of something other than the QB.

He has to be decisive, quick and accurate. If he is playing like that, then the losses wouldn't be his fault.

If his is rolling around aimlessly, winding up to throw like a pitcher from 1932, throwing high...all that, then he is gone.
Originally posted by FnkyPhantom:
You all have established good (and reasonable) tangible benchmarks for A.Smith to have to achieve in order for his services to be retained by the 49er's beyond 2010.

But I think "Kolohe" and "SouthoftheSlot9er" are on to something, when they hint that it's got to be more than just numbers for Niner management to offer Smith an extension. Smith needs to gain the confidence of his teammates and coaches; something that he doesn't truly have at this moment. He needs to show command of the offensive scheme and in the huddle during games. Wouldn't hurt to be a little more vocal in the locker room and off-the-field, without being a loudmouth. I realize that he's rather soft-spoken. Find ways to make his teammates better and successful. I recognize that he doesn't have complete control over every situation, but it's the intangibles as much as the actual "numbers" that are going to determine if he remains with the team in 2011 and beyond.

Kinda like putting Phil Rivers arrogant, cocky head on passive Alex Smith's body? You cant make somebody someone their not. Smith needs to do it with his head. His greatest attribute is his intelligence. I would like to see him use some quick(er) thinking out there, when the ball is snapped. We saw too many completions to the last option 2 yards behind the LOS. Hopefully the continuity will come through in knowing our playbook and players tendencies. He needs to slow the game down Montana style, and see the big picture on every play. Get that ball out of his hands, when the split-second window of opportunity is right there. He can just be a quiet, passive, super efficient quarterback, grabbing Joe Montana's play style to best fit his personality. He has a way to go in the efficiency department, but this is how I see the only way Alex will get to the next level, and playoffs. An attitude like "I dare you to stop me" and make them pay. Of course the coaches have got to give him full control of changing the play, for him to pull this off. He can do it.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, he's really got to cool it with the over throws. He even does it on screens passes. He has to get over that and just play like he did at Utah.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Yeah, he's really got to cool it with the over throws. He even does it on screens passes. He has to get over that and just play like he did at Utah.

It seems, based on the Morgan and Davis comments, and the reports from the first day of OTAs that they were running blitz pickups from day one that the oft-quoted Urban Meyer comment is coming to fruition -- he is finally getting it now that he is in the same offense for the first year. Morgan knows people that played with him at Utah and the leadership is starting to come out.

What does he need to do, its actually pretty simple

Feed Crabs and VD

And Gore and Morgan, a lil play action bomb to Teddy G. Don't sleep on Delanie.

With the new lineman, Dixon, Byham, and Gore setting it up, I can't wait to see the play action be a huge part of the offense, in addition to the spread formation.

If he keeps it simple and feeds the big guys, the numbers will take care of themselves -- at least a high 80s / low 90s rating, 64% passing, over 3500 yards, 10+ wins and playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone