There are 194 users in the forums

What does Alex need to do this season to get a contract extension?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What does Alex need to do this season to get a contract extension?

What does Alex Smith need to do this upcoming season to get a contract extension?

I keep reading every year this is a make or break year for Alex Smith. I think
he will be a good QB. He showed improvement last year. Do you think next year he needs more then improvement to keep his job?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Alex Smith must be better than Drew Brees and Peyton Manning combined
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Must be.
dont throw ints, win, playoffs
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Must be.

And Phillip Rivers.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Must be.

And Phillip Rivers.

And Aaron Rodgers
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I would like to see at least 3500 yards and a 2-1 td to interception ratio, no more than 20 sacks and 5 lost fumbles, is that asking too much? If he does that 10-11 wins and a play-off spot should be no problem. I really don't think he will ever achieve much more, don't think he has the tools to be a top 5-10 quarterback. Considering the QB play since Garcia left, top 15 will make me more than happy.
How about being an irreplaceable contributing member of the team? If the team can win without him, then extending him a new contract isn't necessarily to the teams benefit if management can go a cheaper route or pay someone else the equivalent salary for better results.

That's typically how it works in the NFL.
I think he'll get a top 15 QB rating. He's sitting at 18 now I believe?

I think he will need to lead us to the playoffs or we could see more than just a new QB..

-9fA
To some around here: 5600 yards, 72% completion and 55 Tds, 2 ints.

Just win just win games, preferably 11-5 but 10-6 fo sho! Once this team gets into the playoffs, ah man watch out!!! NINERS BABY!! YA FEEL ME!!!
playoffs or nothing
10+ wins, playoffs
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
playoffs or nothing

If we make it, the person mostly responsible for it will be Smith. Which will mean he will have a great year as well.
it's a combination of all of them. if he plays well, but the rest of the team doesn't and we don't make the playoffs he should still get an extension. but, if the rest of the team does really well, and he disappoints, he shouldn't get an extension.

IMO if he improves on last year's performance, he should get an extension. he is still one of the younger quarterbacks in the league and is only entering his prime.
Share 49ersWebzone