There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Leroy Vann-NCAA Career Record Holder for Return TD's Is a Niner

Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
I'll believe it when Vann returns punts against big boys. Personally I'm not surprised he went undrafted. He stands no chance at contributing as an NFL corner and he's too slow to be considered an elite return specialist. Hope he proves me wrong, but none of his returns are particularly electric given the competition he faced.

I am glad we picked him up to give him a shot, will be interesting to see how he pans out during the pre-season.

I agree that I hope he does work out, just he does not have as much outside of returns going for him (something Williams does), so he is going to have to be a very good PR/KR
For those of you who haven't seen the video, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4NvCMMHXgg

Regardless of the level of the opposition, it's obvious this guy just catches the ball and accelerates immediately upfield. I expect him to be a big contributor to improved field position right away this season.
Ill reserve my judgement until preseason starts.
Originally posted by kunged:
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
I'll believe it when Vann returns punts against big boys. Personally I'm not surprised he went undrafted. He stands no chance at contributing as an NFL corner and he's too slow to be considered an elite return specialist. Hope he proves me wrong, but none of his returns are particularly electric given the competition he faced.

I am glad we picked him up to give him a shot, will be interesting to see how he pans out during the pre-season.

I agree that I hope he does work out, just he does not have as much outside of returns going for him (something Williams does), so he is going to have to be a very good PR/KR

This, hope he does good.
He runs through them teams like Madden football. Finally a potential fix for the field positioning problems of the past few seasons.
from what I have seen/read about this guy and from what all of you are saying I am siked as s**t we got this guy. the one question that keeps popping into my head though is why didn't he get drafted if he's such a badass?

Another thing is it may be very hard for this guy to make the team. I see the team bringing in another CB and probably bringing back Dre Bly. Ginn is going to be our return man and Williams can also return kicks so I don't see this guy or anyone other than maybe MRob making the team as strickly a specialist.
I like how he doesn't mess around and just heads straight up the field. Great acceleration, although his top end speed looks more in the 4.4s than the 4.3s. Like a few others have pointed out, he wasn't going against quality opposition so we'll have to see if his skills translate to this level of competition.

If they do, then I'd like to find a spot for him on the roster regardless of whether he can contribute as a DB. Yeah, we do have a couple other quality returners on the team now, but you can never have enough playmakers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9j6orxD7zA&feature=related

1:50 mark.
Do you want to cut a Good CB to keep vann or only have 4 WR and keep vann he is a 5'9" cb that ran 4.59 and 4.62 in the 40. Put him in to cover the slot WR and I think he is going to get burned. I know he is the record holder. Who did he do it agains, he wasn't playing Florida and USC every week. he was playing Winston-Salem State and Howard University who he returned 4 TD agains. Let see him play first and if he is that much better then anyone ells they have on the team I'll be all for him.
I like him. Hopefully that play translate to the NFL.
Not too sure about the cons on this guy but after watching some clips the pros, and the up side is HUGE, might be early to say and I dont want to jinx the guy but this could be the second coming of Devin Hester!!
Originally posted by dlance:
Do you want to cut a Good CB to keep vann or only have 4 WR and keep vann he is a 5'9" cb that ran 4.59 and 4.62 in the 40. Put him in to cover the slot WR and I think he is going to get burned. I know he is the record holder. Who did he do it agains, he wasn't playing Florida and USC every week. he was playing Winston-Salem State and Howard University who he returned 4 TD agains. Let see him play first and if he is that much better then anyone ells they have on the team I'll be all for him.

i know he hasnt played elite competition but he ran those timings in the 40 on a wet track field speed is not an issue with him and pending preseason but he looks like he is definitally worth a spot as a RS 20 yd avg as a PR is just ridiculous at any level
  • 9erReeoch
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by derek_allen_02:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9j6orxD7zA&feature=related

1:50 mark.

hell yeah!! 49er fan! You know it must be a genuine statement because that interview was recorded while he was still in college!
The level of competition was very low. Don't get carried away. He might not even make the team.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by dlance:
Do you want to cut a Good CB to keep vann or only have 4 WR and keep vann he is a 5'9" cb that ran 4.59 and 4.62 in the 40. Put him in to cover the slot WR and I think he is going to get burned. I know he is the record holder. Who did he do it agains, he wasn't playing Florida and USC every week. he was playing Winston-Salem State and Howard University who he returned 4 TD agains. Let see him play first and if he is that much better then anyone ells they have on the team I'll be all for him.

i know he hasnt played elite competition but he ran those timings in the 40 on a wet track field speed is not an issue with him and pending preseason but he looks like he is definitally worth a spot as a RS 20 yd avg as a PR is just ridiculous at any level

Yeah I don't get why everyone leaves out he did it on a wet track. I've been messing around with sprinting and stuff lately and it's just about impossible to run well in the rain, you wind up slipping and stuff. So I think that translates to like a 4.4 on a good track, plus the guy didn't do any combine training like a lot of other athletes do for their 40 time because he wasn't a potential top 3 round pick. If he had trained for it and ran in good conditions probably would've ran a 4.4 or something.

Plus I don't think Josh Cribbs runs a real fast 40 or anything but he's still an electric returner. You guys want to know why? It's something Vann does also. He gets to his TOP SPEED FAST, not that his top speed is ridiculously faster than anyone elses like a Darrius Heyward-Bey. Plus he has really good balance. You see he's playing pop warner teams or whatever, but still there's guys who are right in front of him and he changes directions without losing speed and blows right past them. NFL he might not return so many for TDs but he can still get us good field position IMO.