LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

Taylor Mays is a Niner!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Wow i didnt realize that Jed York is already starting to have a bald spot, haha, so young at 28.
Originally posted by NCommand:
People. Watch the video. He takes GREAT angles versus the run. He will be playing the SS position that Michael Lewis plays now. The thing that stands out in the tape is how quickly he recognizes running plays making stops and plugging holes. Where have we sucked FOREVER? In 3rd or any down and short and esp. 3rd or any down and goal. He is light speed faster then Michael Lewis and he will be playing IN THE BOX just like Michael now. Think of him as a FREED UP LB like Patrick Willis is in our 3-4! B/c of his speed, he'll also be able to blitz the crap out of QB's which is IDEAL in our 3-4. We have Lewis to groom him AND we still have many nickle backs to help out in coverage as well as Goldson who is coming into his own. This should end up being a great pick! Thoughts?

Agreed! This may very well turn out to be the best pick for the team in this draft as he may be able to allow the DC to open the D up even more.
  • CSRKing21
  • Info N/A
I like this pick. Getting him in the 2nd round is good value. Who do you guys want in the 3rd?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
People. Watch the video. He takes GREAT angles versus the run. He will be playing the SS position that Michael Lewis plays now. The thing that stands out in the tape is how quickly he recognizes running plays making stops and plugging holes. Where have we sucked FOREVER? In 3rd or any down and short and esp. 3rd or any down and goal. He is light speed faster then Michael Lewis and he will be playing IN THE BOX just like Michael now. Think of him as a FREED UP LB like Patrick Willis is in our 3-4! B/c of his speed, he'll also be able to blitz the crap out of QB's which is IDEAL in our 3-4. We have Lewis to groom him AND we still have many nickle backs to help out in coverage as well as Goldson who is coming into his own. This should end up being a great pick! Thoughts?

One of the big knocks on him was his bad angles and missed tackles. The other was an almost complete lack of cover skills. I hope these can be taught to him sooner rather than later. He is a physical freak, but that isn't enough in the NFL.

Perhaps "they" have more tape on him but remember, he, like Michael Lewis, will only be playing in the box, almost exclusively. And watching that "highlight" tape, he's plugging holes quickly, taking great angles to stop players from getting a first down, chasing down players sideline-to-sideline with tremendous speed and causing many turnovers. Michael Lewis? Usually 3rd in tackles, maybe an INT and a couple defended passes. I see this eventually being a big upgrade with good coaching and mentoring! You?
Not really high on him at all. He has all the physical tools so they must coach him up and make him reach his full potential.
i am not a mays fan but i hope that they will coach him up quickly...he has some work ethic there and he is VERY athletic. at least, we have got speed at defense finally.
Taylor Mays just told Pete Carroll to suck his balls and it's Niners all day from now on.
Imagine this race at practice:

Mays vs. Ginn vs. Vernon Davis
not my choice....he better light some fools up tho.

One of the big knocks on him was his bad angles and missed tackles. The other was an almost complete lack of cover skills. I hope these can be taught to him sooner rather than later. He is a physical freak, but that isn't enough in the NFL.

Perhaps "they" have more tape on him but remember, he, like Michael Lewis, will only be playing in the box, almost exclusively. And watching that "highlight" tape, he's plugging holes quickly, taking great angles to stop players from getting a first down, chasing down players sideline-to-sideline with tremendous speed and causing many turnovers. Michael Lewis? Usually 3rd in tackles, maybe an INT and a couple defended passes. I see this eventually being a big upgrade with good coaching and mentoring! You?

I love the guys physical attributes, and I also think that he can be molded into a good player, it will just take discipline and hard work.

I love the guys physical attributes, and I also think that he can be molded into a good player, it will just take discipline and hard work.

Agreed. What I think we need to pray for is that Lewis doesn't get hurt with another concussion and allows time for Mays to develop.

1:40 mark

Originally posted by ads_2006:

I wanted Golden Tate better. Mays goes for the big hit instead of playing for the ball. They can coach him up but I still think Tate will own him when we play Seattle twice a year. I think Tate is going to tear it up in the NFL. Mays should be a LB not a safety, he sucks as a safety as you can see here.
[ Edited by luis1985 on Apr 23, 2010 at 7:13 PM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Mays is a huge steal for where we got him....a potential difference maker and immediate impact type player.

He just lacks the flashy highlight reel plays...which is why he dropped some, but his on field awareness and athleticism is off the charts.

He's going to be huge for us.....very happy with the pick.
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Share 49ersWebzone