LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

Taylor Mays is a Niner!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Juniorminime:
I think all the WRs who will be playing us this season are $hittin in their pants now when they have to go across the middle with Mays and Goldston waiting for them.....I love the physicality of these 2....

more like salivating over the prospect of going over the top breaking through coverage for long TD's

You win some and you'll loose some....but still those WRs will think twice with those 2 lurking back there. Can't wait to see those hard hits....
I think all the WRs who will be playing us this season are $hittin in their pants now when they have to go across the middle with Mays and Goldston waiting for them.....I love the physicality of these 2....

more like salivating over the prospect of going over the top breaking through coverage for long TD's

Agreed. Goldson is far overrated on this board and is a bad tackler himself. I'm not really liking this combination...

-9fA
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
Mays runs a 4.35 and he's a safety. All you fools saying that he's slow need to go somewhere, as in, gtfo here!

indeed
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Agreed. Goldson is far overrated on this board and is a bad tackler himself. I'm not really liking this combination...

-9fA

Guys we're gonna average like 49 pts. a game, we can give up a few long TD's. Geez.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by Giggidy:
Originally posted by ianna:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
So we drafted a cheap version of Michael Lewis.

What is wrong with Michael Lewis?

Nothing's wrong with Lewis: he's a good rover for us and, IMO, Mays is molded in the same fashion. I hoped we would have picked up more of a speedier, coverage-type safety. Not really ecstatic about this pick, but I hope Mays' performance proves my doubts wrong.

I think Mays has plenty of speed

Mays problem isn't speed. It's his liability in coverage.

At #49, I'm ok with the pick. Not ecstatic but I can't see Mays starting from day 1. He does need to improve his ball skills.

-9fA

^^^^ that
and he can hit but he also needs to wrap up more.
some of the tackles he makes in this video, nfl players could break them cuz he doesnt wrap up and they could take it to the house, but the things that are wrong with him can be coached

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ze_jaJlXQ
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
We had better hope that he can learn how to cover and wrap up on tackles. I do not really like the pick much, he is really terrible in coverage. on top of that, he sometimes tries so hard to knock someone out that he misses the tackle entirely.

No worries. In TC the NINER coaching staff will put Mays in a gift wrapping seminar so he can learn the fine art of wrapping up. Come game day they should have him ready to go
I like the pick for the value but he has terrible coverage skills and I think one thing everyone is missing is this guy is a walking personal foul. Watching SC games this guy was constantly getting late hits/hitting unprotected WRs.

-9fA

to be fair it was Goldson 1st year as starter.....besides Willis most have a rough time their 1st year as starter.....would you agree?
Originally posted by Shaj:
how are you guys watching the niner's war room? I didn't know that was available for us to watch... where is it?

It's still going, live. (no sound)

It's mostly been Sing, Baalke, Jed, & Paraag, with Sing and Baalke doing 90% of the talking. Gamble has been in at times as with some others and John York has been in there the last half hour or so.

link
[ Edited by mug0mug on Apr 23, 2010 at 5:31 PM ]
Originally posted by vamphunter23:

-9fA

to be fair it was Goldson 1st year as starter.....besides Willis most have a rough time their 1st year as starter.....would you agree?

Yes I do agree and I hope that Goldson does improve - he needs to.

-9fA

• dj43
I was hoping that more of a "cover safety" would fall to the the 49ers. However, they also needed a SS to replace Michael Lewis, if not this year, next year. We all now Lewis has had multiple concussions which tend to make one more susceptible to future blows. As a result, this is a very good pick, both for value and need.

Mays, like all rookies, will require quality coaching to get him up to speed. I am not a big fan of 49er secondary coaching over the past few years. Still, Mays has a physical package that makes him a very good project to work on. With the proper coaching, he can learn to cover. It isn't like he will be forced into the starting lineup immediately. He will have time to learn from watching Lewis. That is a good thing.

The fact the 49ers did not move up to get a cover safety does not detract from the fact this was a good pick. It keeps them in the A column for me.
People. Watch the video. He takes GREAT angles versus the run. He will be playing the SS position that Michael Lewis plays now. The thing that stands out in the tape is how quickly he recognizes running plays making stops and plugging holes. Where have we sucked FOREVER? In 3rd or any down and short and esp. 3rd or any down and goal. He is light speed faster then Michael Lewis and he will be playing IN THE BOX just like Michael now. Think of him as a FREED UP LB like Patrick Willis is in our 3-4! B/c of his speed, he'll also be able to blitz the crap out of QB's which is IDEAL in our 3-4. We have Lewis to groom him AND we still have many nickle backs to help out in coverage as well as Goldson who is coming into his own. This should end up being a great pick! Thoughts?
We're gonna score 49 pts. a game? In what, your dreams?
Originally posted by NCommand:
People. Watch the video. He takes GREAT angles versus the run. He will be playing the SS position that Michael Lewis plays now. The thing that stands out in the tape is how quickly he recognizes running plays making stops and plugging holes. Where have we sucked FOREVER? In 3rd or any down and short and esp. 3rd or any down and goal. He is light speed faster then Michael Lewis and he will be playing IN THE BOX just like Michael now. Think of him as a FREED UP LB like Patrick Willis is in our 3-4! B/c of his speed, he'll also be able to blitz the crap out of QB's which is IDEAL in our 3-4. We have Lewis to groom him AND we still have many nickle backs to help out in coverage as well as Goldson who is coming into his own. This should end up being a great pick! Thoughts?

One of the big knocks on him was his bad angles and missed tackles. The other was an almost complete lack of cover skills. I hope these can be taught to him sooner rather than later. He is a physical freak, but that isn't enough in the NFL.

-9fA

But he's a playmaker. He causes turnovers, something the 49ers drastically need. We have our tackler in Patrick Willis ;)

~Dann~
Share 49ersWebzone