LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Taylor Mays is a Niner!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
CHAMPIONSHIP
Solid value with Mays but as you know if you've seen him he goes for that big hit, not very fluid in the hips and takes bad angles.

The thing is...even with that being said he has a great frame for a SS and speed you cant coach. If we can coach him technique and he gets dedicated to the film room then we have a BEAST on our hands. His future is in his hands because of his god given gifts.
Originally posted by NorCaL9er:
Solid value with Mays but as you know if you've seen him he goes for that big hit, not very fluid in the hips and takes bad angles.

The thing is...even with that being said he has a great frame for a SS and speed you cant coach. If we can coach him technique and he gets dedicated to the film room then we have a BEAST on our hands. His future is in his hands because of his god given gifts.

Well said! Good pick surprised he made it this far in the 2nd round!
Taylor Mays is a niner! woooo!!! i am soo damn happy that had him our team a 49ers.. ohhhh yessssss!!! i am jumping and all exiciting it!! thank you thank you for draft Taylor Mays!!! whooooooooooo!!!!!
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
Originally posted by luis1985:
Horrible pick... Sing himself looked pissed in the war room. He did not want Mays, he wanted someone else.

Who gives a flying f**k who Sing wanted, he didn't even want Patrick Willis. Baalke got us Ginn and 3 f**ken great picks. I don't give a s**t about Singletary at this point. He's a great motivator, stick to that.

For real. They should not have even let him in the war room. He is a speech giver, no more than that. I can't wait until we put this team in the hands of a head coach with talent. I'm sick of these newbie no nothing coaches that hold too much influence in our organization.
Originally posted by ads_2006:

1:40 mark

I wanted Golden Tate better. Mays goes for the big hit instead of playing for the ball. They can coach him up but I still think Tate will own him when we play Seattle twice a year. I think Tate is going to tear it up in the NFL. Mays should be a LB not a safety, he sucks as a safety as you can see here.

i am sick that u're force Mays should be a LB what the heck.. he is fat and slow his speed huh? mehhh... i am tired when u're change positive him alway! u're not talent urself man!
Originally posted by MichaelCrabtree:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by MichaelCrabtree:
Please see: Darnell Bing

End. Of. Story.

Not. Even. Close.

I would say they are very comparable. Both are 602-603 and 230lbs. Both are known for their physical prowess, and lack of consistent play in coverage, especially man to man at the flanks. While Mays tests out well with in-line speed in shorts, his football speed is lacking. Both Bing and Mays were knocked for playing with squared hips, slow black pedal, and mediocre shoulder turn. It's very evident that both lack true ball-hawking ability needed at the next level.

I believe they were both Thorpe award finalists too; Bing his final year, and Mays his junior year.

I don't understand how this comparison CAN'T be made. I mean, I realize the guy (Mays) ran a fast 40, but other than that I'm not sure of any other glaring differences?

So MC, doesn't this pick make him an immediate upgrade and successor to an oft-injured Michael Lewis...just younger, stronger, faster with way more upside and a serious chip on his shoulder and guys such as Ronnie Lott backing him up?
Originally posted by longasian:
Horrible pick... Sing himself looked pissed in the war room. He did not want Mays, he wanted someone else.

Who gives a flying f**k who Sing wanted, he didn't even want Patrick Willis. Baalke got us Ginn and 3 f**ken great picks. I don't give a s**t about Singletary at this point. He's a great motivator, stick to that.

For real. They should not have even let him in the war room. He is a speech giver, no more than that. I can't wait until we put this team in the hands of a head coach with talent. I'm sick of these newbie no nothing coaches that hold too much influence in our organization.

Yeah, "no talent."

Just a HOF, ten time pro bowler with a SB ring. A guy known for his intelligence as MLB who's given the Niner's an on the field identity.

He's a "no talent."

And you're a "long asian."
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by longasian:

Yeah, "no talent."

Just a HOF, ten time pro bowler with a SB ring. A guy known for his intelligence as MLB who's given the Niner's an on the field identity.

He's a "no talent."

And you're a "long asian."

Originally posted by BringBackTO:
I like the pick for the value but he has terrible coverage skills and I think one thing everyone is missing is this guy is a walking personal foul. Watching SC games this guy was constantly getting late hits/hitting unprotected WRs.

EVERYONE here needs to remember this is not college. The coaches at this level make SURE their guys know what they're doing or they don't play them. Obviously, Carroll didn't think Mays needed to work on his game, which tells me they didn't get on his ass at all about his coverage abilities. That is NOT going to happen with our coaches.

Some of you need to settle down. You're all acting like his coverage skills can't improve with proper coaching. He is a very big, very fast, very athletic player that has the potential to be the best at his position if he's coached right. He will be a work in progress, but I believe he will end up being a very good SS.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by BringBackTO:
I like the pick for the value but he has terrible coverage skills and I think one thing everyone is missing is this guy is a walking personal foul. Watching SC games this guy was constantly getting late hits/hitting unprotected WRs.

EVERYONE here needs to remember this is not college. The coaches at this level make SURE their guys know what they're doing or they don't play them. Obviously, Carroll didn't think Mays needed to work on his game, which tells me they didn't get on his ass at all about his coverage abilities. That is NOT going to happen with our coaches.

Some of you need to settle down. You're all acting like his coverage skills can't improve with proper coaching. He is a very big, very fast, very athletic player that has the potential to be the best at his position if he's coached right. He will be a work in progress, but I believe he will end up being a very good SS.

Its the same thing with QBs adjusting from a spread to a pro-style offense. College is much different in the NFL. As long as you have the physical and mental ability to adapt, then you'll be fine at taking over new responsibilities.

Mays has those intangibles. He just wasn't asked to showcase them at USC on a regular basis.
Should have taken Clausen. Major mistake. I like Mays, although he is raw and may not develop (and I watched a ton of SC football, so I know him well), but you don't pass up a potential franchise QB, especially when you don't have a QB worth a sh*t.
I like his potential, but he does have some things to work on.

In addition to his hips, I feel like what tackling issues he has have a lot to do with another thing that people like about him, which is his desire to punish the players he tackles. It's almost as if he doesn't want to use his arms as much because they'll cushion his torpedo attacks. He tries to launch his torso into people, but that is not going to provide consistency and he needs to work on arm strength & wrapping up.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Apr 23, 2010 at 9:20 PM ]
Originally posted by MBniner:
Should have taken Clausen. Major mistake. I like Mays, although he is raw and may not develop (and I watched a ton of SC football, so I know him well), but you don't pass up a potential franchise QB, especially when you don't have a QB worth a sh*t.

Do you mean in the 1st round, or maybe they should have traded up to get him?
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by MBniner:

Do you mean in the 1st round, or maybe they should have traded up to get him?

I mean they should have traded up a few picks to get him in the second.
Share 49ersWebzone