LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

Baalke - authority/courage to trade?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by susweel:
The 49ers probably have the most inexperienced unskilled front office in the NFL. But they work cheap, it is a miracle this team even made it back to .500 considering everything. With York ownership this team will never sniff another championship. I hold out hope they will sell the team.

Is that you San Diego ?

San Diego and I are the only consistent York bashers. I don't understand why there aren't more of us.

because it accomplishes nothing
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by susweel:
The 49ers probably have the most inexperienced unskilled front office in the NFL. But they work cheap, it is a miracle this team even made it back to .500 considering everything. With York ownership this team will never sniff another championship. I hold out hope they will sell the team.

Is that you San Diego ?

San Diego and I are the only consistent York bashers. I don't understand why there aren't more of us.

Because most understand it is a waste of energy.

Fixed.

exactly
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Lifer:
Originally posted by jimbagg:
I guess the Ted Ginn trade just answered the question posed in this thread.

Interesting to note that Baalke has some history with Parcels, which probably helped with the communnication. Hard to believe that the Niners were the ONLY team willing to offer a 5th-rounder for Ginn. Nice job by the Niner front office in moving quickly (less than 24 hours after Miami signed Marshall) and decisively. Maybe this one was a "what if" conversation between Baalke and Miami, which occurred some time ago and which was triggered by the Marshall signing. Just sayin.....

Regardless, it is now obvious that Baalke is more than capable of intermingling picks, players and trades.

I was thinking the same thing. A 5th round pick for Ginn sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Gotta believe Miami could've done better if they'd really wanted to. This deal makes me feel al lot better about 49ers management going into the draft. It's clear that someone's in charge and not afraid to act decisively.

I agree. Not to diminish the importance of all this but I like the move. I'ts very impressive.

You see a hole. You fill it. That's man work that!

Blah Blah Blah-

Perhaps you should talk to the fans of the lamb chops, lioness, skud Bucketts, the two papoose (skins and chiefs) and drum roll..............raiders.

Jed is doing okay-he talked to his uncle Eddie so I have no doubt that he'll be like him, when you do good you get rewarded if not...

Everyone kept saying higher a professional president or gm and get out of the way...if there was someone that was surefire others would have highered them already. The niners believe in giving someone a chance.

Now Baalke did a good first move, here is hoping for more on draft day!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
That will be a yes. It's a big time for Baalke. If he can get it done this year he will be given the reigns to build this team im sure.
Originally posted by Envy:

Interesting to note that Baalke has some history with Parcels, which probably helped with the communnication. Hard to believe that the Niners were the ONLY team willing to offer a 5th-rounder for Ginn. Nice job by the Niner front office in moving quickly (less than 24 hours after Miami signed Marshall) and decisively. Maybe this one was a "what if" conversation between Baalke and Miami, which occurred some time ago and which was triggered by the Marshall signing. Just sayin.....

Regardless, it is now obvious that Baalke is more than capable of intermingling picks, players and trades.

I was thinking the same thing. A 5th round pick for Ginn sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Gotta believe Miami could've done better if they'd really wanted to. This deal makes me feel al lot better about 49ers management going into the draft. It's clear that someone's in charge and not afraid to act decisively.

I agree. Not to diminish the importance of all this but I like the move. I'ts very impressive.

Waaaaaaay too early to get a definitive impression of Baalke in the role of GM, but.........

This is a promising start! There was an obvious need on the team. When I saw the TV analysts commenting on the Miami Dolphins trading for Marshall, several comments were made speculating that Ginn might now be on the trading block. They showed clips from the game where Ginn returned 2 for touchdowns. I thought to myself "Hmmmmm, do I know of any teams that could use a good returner?" As I pondered the answer, I thought "Doesn't matter. I don't think the Niner's are in a position to pull the trigger with the front office shakeup; too bad"

Impressive. I think (hope) this will work out, but more importantly, I think that this is something (the trade; acting quickly on an opportunity) that probably would not have happened if not for the change at the top.

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socal9er42:

Waaaaaaay too early to get a definitive impression of Baalke in the role of GM, but.........

This is a promising start! There was an obvious need on the team. When I saw the TV analysts commenting on the Miami Dolphins trading for Marshall, several comments were made speculating that Ginn might now be on the trading block. They showed clips from the game where Ginn returned 2 for touchdowns. I thought to myself "Hmmmmm, do I know of any teams that could use a good returner?" As I pondered the answer, I thought "Doesn't matter. I don't think the Niner's are in a position to pull the trigger with the front office shakeup; too bad"

Impressive. I think (hope) this will work out, but more importantly, I think that this is something (the trade; acting quickly on an opportunity) that probably would not have happened if not for the change at the top.

I remember also mulling over the idea. I thought he could have been had for a 6th, considering Holmes was got for a 5th as well. But then again Ginn will not be missing the first 4 games and has had no character issues ever.
And maybe this is a precursor to potential draft-day trades, up or down, that would also be useful. It's nice to know now that Baalke can get things done.
Originally posted by socal9er42:

word
Is anyone else concerned that the Niners front office is not competitively organized and staffed to make the proper trade-offs to acquire player talent, especially under time pressure and when more than knowledge of potential draftees is called for?

Is anyone else concerned that Trent Baalke may not have the authority or guts to both INITIATE and RESPOND to certain kinds of player acquisition transactions (player-for pick, pick-for-player) under the pressure of the clock?

Example: At what point in time, might it be the best value to negotiate a draft pick with Baltimore for OT Jared Gaither, rather than draft the 4th or 5th-rated OT on the draft board?

Baalke is in charge of the draft. Gamble is in charge of existing pro player personel. Doesn't it seem likely that there are/will be value opportunities which cross back and forth between these two domains? With no GM, aren't the fragmented Niners at a competitive disadvantage? Who does a GM from another team call, Baalke or Gamble, when making or responding to a player-for-pick or pick-for player trade offer?

Will Baalke have the guts to pull the trigger on value-producing trades? Will he have the authority and guts to initiate them or just respond to offers from others?

This club has acquired NO ONE since McCloughan was fired. Paymah was done under McCloughan's watch. Front office personalities aside, I am very concerned that this club, so close now to being a playoff-caliber team, is poised to stall, due to a myopic and disfunctional front office structure, that confuses other teams.

The April Fools joke involving Millen was very effective, because many people apparently see the need for this club to have a veteran front office HOFO. There needs to be a single focus point for player acquisition through all channels, not just a guy who can slot and rate potential draftees.

Wish it weren't so, but I smell Trouble and Lost Opportunity until the June stadium vote passes, when the Yorks might loosen the purse strings for a real front office.

Scot or Baakle, it makes no difference. As long as the York dynasty continues to rule the 49er Kingdom there will be nothing but confusion, incompetence and dysfunction. King John stepped aside to let the boy Prince Jed assume control, but he has proved to be no better than his father.

He's not sure his Kingdom needs a General Manager? Give me a break!!

It's time for the the long suffering peasants to revolt, to begin a massive boycott - don't renew your season tickets, stop attending games, stop watching them on TV and listening on radio. The financial consequences will be so drastic the miserable Yorks will be forced to sell (they may not understand football, but they do understand money).

Are you behind me!!!

To the barricades!!!!

Three pages back i wished baalke all the luck, but noted I was uncomfortable with no GM (altho i am truly glad scot is gone), we have a green coach without cache(no previous upper level experience), a green owner, and we got two talent scouts running the draft. My quote was "it bodes poorly, but i sure wished them well."

Once brendan marshall signed, baalke must have been on the phone virtually immediately. We gave up a "valued" 5th rounder which the last 9 yrs has been nothing but ca-ca for us. Didn't see much of Ginn after going 9th(or 7th) in 1st rd, back in 2007, tho did see him run some kicks back...which was impressive. Basically, ginn has to prove himself, because he sure didn't with a poor team. This sure looks like a good spot for a former college WR who just so happens to return kicks...something many on this board were dreaming of burning a high round pick on(we wouldn't have).

I give baalke credit for a) getting into gear right-a-way, and b) actually getting this sucker done. Gotta watch what you wish for, but if ginn just gives us a huge boost in kick/punt returns, we done good. Check that, team baalke done good.

Maybe we got that break we couldn't get the last 7 yrs when every move we made
(save p-52) has turned out poorly. This is at least a start, and it shows that baalke knows he HAS to prove himself, in a pretty deep draft. We got our backup QB. Okay, two slots filled. 2 OLs, one DT, one passrush OLB, a S, and a backup RB to go. I also wrote 3 pages ago, i sure hoped baalke reads these pages, especially those about him. Either he answered our call, or more likely, the guy just might be the one. Could it be? We've managed to shoot our foot in so many coaches, green owners, so many players, we are way past DUE for a break. A good break. Please Lord, make baalke be the one. We deserve it. Just one guy who really knows what the hell he is doing can right a franchise as fast as you can say Sean Payton and Loomis.

Baalke, if you are reading this, it's a start...a good start. Now the real test begins. Please...be the right one. You know the list. Git it done...son.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Three pages back i wished baalke all the luck, but noted I was uncomfortable with no GM (altho i am truly glad scot is gone), we have a green coach without cache(no previous upper level experience), a green owner, and we got two talent scouts running the draft. My quote was "it bodes poorly, but i sure wished them well."

Once brendan marshall signed, baalke must have been on the phone virtually immediately. We gave up a "valued" 5th rounder which the last 9 yrs has been nothing but ca-ca for us. Didn't see much of Ginn after going 9th(or 7th) in 1st rd, back in 2007, tho did see him run some kicks back...which was impressive. Basically, ginn has to prove himself, because he sure didn't with a poor team. This sure looks like a good spot for a former college WR who just so happens to return kicks...something many on this board were dreaming of burning a high round pick on(we wouldn't have).

I give baalke credit for a) getting into gear right-a-way, and b) actually getting this sucker done. Gotta watch what you wish for, but if ginn just gives us a huge boost in kick/punt returns, we done good. Check that, team baalke done good.

Maybe we got that break we couldn't get the last 7 yrs when every move we made
(save p-52) has turned out poorly. This is at least a start, and it shows that baalke knows he HAS to prove himself, in a pretty deep draft. We got our backup QB. Okay, two slots filled. 2 OLs, one DT, one passrush OLB, a S, and a backup RB to go. I also wrote 3 pages ago, i sure hoped baalke reads these pages, especially those about him. Either he answered our call, or more likely, the guy just might be the one. Could it be? We've managed to shoot our foot in so many coaches, green owners, so many players, we are way past DUE for a break. A good break. Please Lord, make baalke be the one. We deserve it. Just one guy who really knows what the hell he is doing can right a franchise as fast as you can say Sean Payton and Loomis.

Baalke, if you are reading this, it's a start...a good start. Now the real test begins. Please...be the right one. You know the list. Git it done...son.

According to a lot of MM, Schefter, MB, Sando, etc. Baalke was really respected around the league. Wouldn't surprise me if he was more respected than McCloughan and Jed bounced Scotty while he had a reason so he could retain Baalke. I remember like the Seahawks wanted to interview him right after the season ended. You have to admit it was pretty daring for Jed to bounce Scotty who wasn't great but wasn't horrible, to gamble on hiring Baalke. Something a lot of people on this board said Jed was too young/impressionable/inexperienced to be willing to do.

Originally posted by jsaniner:
Is anyone else concerned that the Niners front office is not competitively organized and staffed to make the proper trade-offs to acquire player talent, especially under time pressure and when more than knowledge of potential draftees is called for?

Is anyone else concerned that Trent Baalke may not have the authority or guts to both INITIATE and RESPOND to certain kinds of player acquisition transactions (player-for pick, pick-for-player) under the pressure of the clock?

Example: At what point in time, might it be the best value to negotiate a draft pick with Baltimore for OT Jared Gaither, rather than draft the 4th or 5th-rated OT on the draft board?

Baalke is in charge of the draft. Gamble is in charge of existing pro player personel. Doesn't it seem likely that there are/will be value opportunities which cross back and forth between these two domains? With no GM, aren't the fragmented Niners at a competitive disadvantage? Who does a GM from another team call, Baalke or Gamble, when making or responding to a player-for-pick or pick-for player trade offer?

Will Baalke have the guts to pull the trigger on value-producing trades? Will he have the authority and guts to initiate them or just respond to offers from others?

This club has acquired NO ONE since McCloughan was fired. Paymah was done under McCloughan's watch. Front office personalities aside, I am very concerned that this club, so close now to being a playoff-caliber team, is poised to stall, due to a myopic and disfunctional front office structure, that confuses other teams.

The April Fools joke involving Millen was very effective, because many people apparently see the need for this club to have a veteran front office HOFO. There needs to be a single focus point for player acquisition through all channels, not just a guy who can slot and rate potential draftees.

Wish it weren't so, but I smell Trouble and Lost Opportunity until the June stadium vote passes, when the Yorks might loosen the purse strings for a real front office.

Scot or Baakle, it makes no difference. As long as the York dynasty continues to rule the 49er Kingdom there will be nothing but confusion, incompetence and dysfunction. King John stepped aside to let the boy Prince Jed assume control, but he has proved to be no better than his father.

It's time for the the long suffering peasants to revolt, to begin a massive boycott - don't renew your season tickets, stop attending games, stop watching them on TV and listening on radio. The financial consequences will be so drastic the miserable Yorks will be forced to sell (they may not understand football, but they do understand money).

Are you behind me!!!

To the barricades!!!!

No.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by jsaniner:

Are you behind me!!!

To the barricades!!!!

No.

He's storming the barricade by himself ... this will be quick and ugly...would someone volunteer to peel pieces of what's left of him off the barricade wall.
Share 49ersWebzone