LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 415 users in the forums

Baalke - authority/courage to trade?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by susweel:
The 49ers probably have the most inexperienced unskilled front office in the NFL. But they work cheap, it is a miracle this team even made it back to .500 considering everything. With York ownership this team will never sniff another championship. I hold out hope they will sell the team.

Is that you San Diego ?

San Diego and I are the only consistent York bashers. I don't understand why there aren't more of us.

I am with you!
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Is anyone else concerned that the Niners front office is not competitively organized and staffed to make the proper trade-offs to acquire player talent, especially under time pressure and when more than knowledge of potential draftees is called for?

Is anyone else concerned that Trent Baalke may not have the authority or guts to both INITIATE and RESPOND to certain kinds of player acquisition transactions (player-for pick, pick-for-player) under the pressure of the clock?

Example: At what point in time, might it be the best value to negotiate a draft pick with Baltimore for OT Jared Gaither, rather than draft the 4th or 5th-rated OT on the draft board?

Baalke is in charge of the draft. Gamble is in charge of existing pro player personel. Doesn't it seem likely that there are/will be value opportunities which cross back and forth between these two domains? With no GM, aren't the fragmented Niners at a competitive disadvantage? Who does a GM from another team call, Baalke or Gamble, when making or responding to a player-for-pick or pick-for player trade offer?

Will Baalke have the guts to pull the trigger on value-producing trades? Will he have the authority and guts to initiate them or just respond to offers from others?

This club has acquired NO ONE since McCloughan was fired. Paymah was done under McCloughan's watch. Front office personalities aside, I am very concerned that this club, so close now to being a playoff-caliber team, is poised to stall, due to a myopic and disfunctional front office structure, that confuses other teams.

The April Fools joke involving Millen was very effective, because many people apparently see the need for this club to have a veteran front office HOFO. There needs to be a single focus point for player acquisition through all channels, not just a guy who can slot and rate potential draftees.

Wish it weren't so, but I smell Trouble and Lost Opportunity until the June stadium vote passes, when the Yorks might loosen the purse strings for a real front office.

as long as they dont trade the 7th overall pick for joe staley im good or take Kentawn Butler
Originally posted by 190836:
The 49ers probably have the most inexperienced unskilled front office in the NFL. But they work cheap, it is a miracle this team even made it back to .500 considering everything. With York ownership this team will never sniff another championship. I hold out hope they will sell the team.

Is that you San Diego ?

San Diego and I are the only consistent York bashers. I don't understand why there aren't more of us.

I am with you!

Don't forget me too!
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by 190836:

Is that you San Diego ?

I am with you!

Don't forget me too!

Me too!

But I see a sliver of hope: I never thought that Jed would fire McC . . . but he did!! That was a great first step. Now let's see what he does as a follow-up to bring respectability to the front office. Otherwise . . .
Baalke's gonna make you all forget who Bill Walsh is.
Baalke will be allowed to make trades after Paraag Marathe puts the data into his computer and it gives a positive response. If Baalke doesn't like the result, Jed will step in and take the side of his good pal Paraag. It never ceases to amaze me how bad this front office has become. The dumbass Yorks could make it so easy on themselves and the fans by hiring a strong football team president and stepping out of the way and letting him run the show. But that would cost some serious money.
Let's just wait and see. No need to create monsters that are not there.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Baalke will be allowed to make trades after Paraag Marathe puts the data into his computer and it gives a positive response. If Baalke doesn't like the result, Jed will step in and take the side of his good pal Paraag. It never ceases to amaze me how bad this front office has become. The dumbass Yorks could make it so easy on themselves and the fans by hiring a strong football team president and stepping out of the way and letting him run the show. But that would cost some serious money.

And we all know they are broke.
I just hope the Niners don't have a Ditka moment and trade our entire draft for Tim Tebow.

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Good to see the knobs come out of the woodwork.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Good to see the knobs come out of the woodwork.

Wasn't Baalke McCloughan's right hand man? Should have taught him a few things. Plus Scot's brother is still part of the personel dept. Let's hope he can wheel and deal.

We might need to more than ever this time.

Clint Eastwood for GM.

And you know this how?
Share 49ersWebzone