Not a member? Register Now!

O line will not give Smith time

Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by Luca:
I think that our O line will come around.

i hope so...

If next years draft isnt used on O lineman, we are doomed. If berry is available, take him, otherwise, go with best OL available.

foolish..

when a draft is so heavy in play makers and skill position players, you do not go after players who play positions that can be found in the mid rounds who are very solid at their respective positions..

with the looming rookie cap that is likely to be in place in the draft following this next year. there are going to be an unprecedented number of juniors and redshirt sophmores declaring for those skill postions and playmakers who want the most money they can get..

if we take an offensive linemen with EITHER first round pick i will be shocked with the huge number of talent at the postions that are normally hard to find in this years draft..if we have an early to mid 2nd round pick, i would be shocked at o-line there as well, late 2nd round would make sense as there will be offensive linemen in the 2nd, 3rd and possibly even 4th round this year that would likely go in the 1st round of any of the recent drafts..

both firsts will likely see us go, safety/cb and dline/olb...OR QB if Alex struggles. an early 2nd will again likely see us go defense at one of the prior mentioned positions that didnt get picked...a late second i wouldnt be surprised to go oline there, and i definitely think in the 3rd and 4th round we address offensive line..

disagree all you want, just take a look at the league and compare the number of GOOD offensive linemen that are taken in the middle rounds in comparison to early rounds to those GOOD skill players that are taken in those respective rounds as well...they exist, but the Oline stat HEAVILY outweighs the other..

Apparently you haven't seen a game this year. Also...contrary your thought process...having a franchise tackle (which we don't have) and an overall strong o-line is critical. And whats all this nonsense of not picking up an OT in the first round? How many tackles went in the first round this year? Last year? Exactly.

We're below average in running which is our bread and butter -- and passing -- which I'd like us to see the 49ers excel at sometime in the near future. Yes we need some defensive peices too but I'm pretty sure you can find them in the mid rounds as well.

and the 1st overall pick last year has been having some issues this year, Joe Thomas hasn'nt been looking too hot, eugene monroe AND ebon britton have been looking quite regular, while sam baker, though yes a 1st round pick was the 7th tackle taken in the 2008 draft is having the best season of any recent offensive tackles taken in the last few years..

your opinion is fine, however your logic is flawed..

I'd rather take a chance on regular that the crap we have now. Jake Long plays for a team that plays out of the wildcat and runs at will and he's still young.

Or maybe we land the next Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden?

You forgot to mention the recent first rounders that disprove your argument Including Jeff Otah, Sam Baker, Duane Brown, Ryan Clady and D'Brickashaw Ferguson and another list of average linemen I'd rather have on my team.

Are you saying this isn't a first round concern since our starters suck for the most part and we have no depth? Or you would just rather draft depth in late rounds to pad the crap we have starting? Just because some team found a gem doesn't mean its a lock

This upcoming draft is going to be one of the deepest ever in offensive linemen, and pass rushers. According to the draft gurus, there is quality to be found at OT and pass rusher well into the second round. We have to get a good safety, if Berry is there when we use the panthers pick, we have to take him.
hopefully his scrambling will help otherwise could be on to his 3rd shoulder surgery in the next few games
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Hopefully the coaches tell him to bail when things break down but his mobility should help. I think the o line started to look better because smith could shift around as opposed to hill who could only stand in one spot the whole time.

Excited for Sunday
oh sweet an o-line thread

finally
Originally posted by darkknight49:

i hope so...

If next years draft isnt used on O lineman, we are doomed. If berry is available, take him, otherwise, go with best OL available.

foolish..

when a draft is so heavy in play makers and skill position players, you do not go after players who play positions that can be found in the mid rounds who are very solid at their respective positions..

with the looming rookie cap that is likely to be in place in the draft following this next year. there are going to be an unprecedented number of juniors and redshirt sophmores declaring for those skill postions and playmakers who want the most money they can get..

if we take an offensive linemen with EITHER first round pick i will be shocked with the huge number of talent at the postions that are normally hard to find in this years draft..if we have an early to mid 2nd round pick, i would be shocked at o-line there as well, late 2nd round would make sense as there will be offensive linemen in the 2nd, 3rd and possibly even 4th round this year that would likely go in the 1st round of any of the recent drafts..

both firsts will likely see us go, safety/cb and dline/olb...OR QB if Alex struggles. an early 2nd will again likely see us go defense at one of the prior mentioned positions that didnt get picked...a late second i wouldnt be surprised to go oline there, and i definitely think in the 3rd and 4th round we address offensive line..

disagree all you want, just take a look at the league and compare the number of GOOD offensive linemen that are taken in the middle rounds in comparison to early rounds to those GOOD skill players that are taken in those respective rounds as well...they exist, but the Oline stat HEAVILY outweighs the other..

Well of course because there are simply more players available from rounds 3 - 7. Statistically you'll have more of a chance to have players.

HOWEVER, blue-chip, awesome OTs are usually found in the top rounds. The top 5 OL in the league were all selected at the top of the draft. You can't say that about any other position consistently over time.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8113b3dc&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The better teams at running and pass protection - if you look at the talent on their lines, they've been able to maintain a high level of play because their respective organization were committed to keeping top tier drafted talent at the positions - Philadelphia comes to mind. Why is Philly always a contender despite having a weak running game year to year? Because they provide protection for McNabb year in and year out.
  • drama
  • Info N/A
We Over paid Staley big time he is not a premiere left tackle hes a good right tackle at best we need to open the wallets next year to go back to the glory days if o line gives protection look what denver has done with an ok qb but with a good o line i rest my case!!!!

LOL when?
Football is the total team sport. Up until Smith's half, the 9ers didn't have much of a passing game and the running game was in total chaos. But with the addition of Crabtree, a suddenly emerging Davis, improved play from Morgan, and steady play from Bruce, opposing teams are going to have to be careful about blitzing Alex Smith. Just let them blitz a few times and then get burnt and the blitzes will stop. Improvements in the passing game will also open it up for the running game. The 49ers might just be on the verge of an offensive breakout that will make the O-line look much better. I'm real interested in seeing how this all pans out.
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by drama:
obvisouly our o line is not that good i honestly think staley is overrated alex can be a good qb in this leage but he will need time and thats something our line hasnt done since young was with us. What we need to do is open up our check books and get some solid players so that alex can get the ball downfield. 2 first rounders next year, with our first pick in 2010 darft we will get a legit o lineman

I love Crabs, but we should have gotten Michael Oher

Disagreed. I would have been SO f**king pissed if we passed on crabtree.

agreed u gotta pick best player available and crabtree some say was the best in the entire draft.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:

LOL! Isn't our current O-line following your blueprint for "success"?

Staley - 1st rounder (exception)
Baas - 2nd rounder
Heitmann - 7th rounder
Chilo - 2nd rounder
Snyder - 3rd rounder

Wragge & Sims both undrafted

Last time I checked, our best lineman was picked in the 1st round!

except for our best offensive lineman this year, has been eric Heitmann, he has given up the least amount of sacks on the season, and in regards to run blocking. staley is hardly our best..

The center always gives up the least amount of sacks if you look around the league. Staley is a much better tackle than most give him credit for. When the line as a unit struggles, everyone on the line struggles, it is not due to staleys lack of talent it is due to lack of cohesion and talent along the entire line.
We need to start getting lineman in the first round. Impact lineman. No more waiting for dudes like Baas, Boone, and Chilo to develop.
One thing I have noticed is that they are not engaging in there blocks fast enough. They are letting the defenders get to deep before they engage them. That's why the pockets are closing so quickly.
I thought with singletary the O-line would be different. The way the line has been playing should be unacceptable under singletary. We have had the same garbage O-line for yrs now and still there are excuses. I'm tired of our qb's having NO time and our rb's having no lanes. This s**t needs to get fixed fast. We have had horrible O-line play as long as we have had horrible qb play. As far as I'm concerned that is our biggest problem and we wont ever make the playoffs. It's frustrating that we havent had any damn progress in our line since nolan first got here. It's horrible. wtf are these people doing?
If your team doesn't have a good quarterback, fans do two things:

1) Blame the o-line for poor quarterbacking.
2) Praise the o-line of teams with good quarterbacks.

Does Eli Manning's o-line deserve praise for almost getting him sacked in the Super Bowl when he broke free of Richard Seymour?

Does Ben Roethlisberger's o-line deserve praise for all the tackles he had to break in the Super Bowl, where he single handedly won the game for them despite guys in his face?

This teams whole concept on offense has been screwed up since Nolan arrived, the quarterbacking has been poor, but the o-line is the one that gets the blame for it.

Smith has plenty of weapons, and he will have plenty of time and opportunities to make a play, just like he has had in the past.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 27, 2009 at 5:36 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
If your team doesn't have a good quarterback, fans do two things:

1) Blame the o-line for poor quarterbacking.
2) Praise the o-line of teams with good quarterbacks.

Does Eli Manning's o-line deserve praise for almost getting him sacked in the Super Bowl when he broke free of Richard Seymour?

Does Ben Roethlisberger's o-line deserve praise for all the tackles he had to break in the Super Bowl, where he single handedly won the game for them despite guys in his face?

This teams whole concept on offense has been screwed up since Nolan arrived, the quarterbacking has been poor, but the o-line is the one that gets the blame for it.

Smith has plenty of weapons, and he will have plenty of time and opportunities to make a play, just like he has had in the past.

Dude I just know our O-line is garbage. Our Rt situation is bad. baas isn't playing at a high level. Rachal is fckn declining the more the plays. I swear I see it like two or three times a game he gets out of his stance and the dt or whatever is already passed him and he is falling his ass over.
grrrrr