LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

O line will not give Smith time

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by drama:
obvisouly our o line is not that good i honestly think staley is overrated alex can be a good qb in this leage but he will need time and thats something our line hasnt done since young was with us. What we need to do is open up our check books and get some solid players so that alex can get the ball downfield. 2 first rounders next year, with our first pick in 2010 darft we will get a legit o lineman

I love Crabs, but we should have gotten Michael Oher

Disagreed. I would have been SO f**king pissed if we passed on crabtree.

x2
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
obvisouly our o line is not that good i honestly think staley is overrated alex can be a good qb in this leage but he will need time and thats something our line hasnt done since young was with us. What we need to do is open up our check books and get some solid players so that alex can get the ball downfield. 2 first rounders next year, with our first pick in 2010 darft we will get a legit o lineman

x2
x3

If Crabtree turns into the player it looks like he might become, I think we would have regretted not taking him for a long time. In a couple of years we can ask the Raider fans about it.
Originally posted by BHulman:

If Crabtree turns into the player it looks like he might become, I think we would have regretted not taking him for a long time. In a couple of years we can ask the Raider fans about it.

even at that time, not hindsight, I would of been pissed if we didn't swoop up Crabtree. He was a steal at #10.
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by Luca:
I think that our O line will come around.

i hope so...

If next years draft isnt used on O lineman, we are doomed. If berry is available, take him, otherwise, go with best OL available.

foolish..

when a draft is so heavy in play makers and skill position players, you do not go after players who play positions that can be found in the mid rounds who are very solid at their respective positions..

with the looming rookie cap that is likely to be in place in the draft following this next year. there are going to be an unprecedented number of juniors and redshirt sophmores declaring for those skill postions and playmakers who want the most money they can get..

if we take an offensive linemen with EITHER first round pick i will be shocked with the huge number of talent at the postions that are normally hard to find in this years draft..if we have an early to mid 2nd round pick, i would be shocked at o-line there as well, late 2nd round would make sense as there will be offensive linemen in the 2nd, 3rd and possibly even 4th round this year that would likely go in the 1st round of any of the recent drafts..

both firsts will likely see us go, safety/cb and dline/olb...OR QB if Alex struggles. an early 2nd will again likely see us go defense at one of the prior mentioned positions that didnt get picked...a late second i wouldnt be surprised to go oline there, and i definitely think in the 3rd and 4th round we address offensive line..

disagree all you want, just take a look at the league and compare the number of GOOD offensive linemen that are taken in the middle rounds in comparison to early rounds to those GOOD skill players that are taken in those respective rounds as well...they exist, but the Oline stat HEAVILY outweighs the other..

Apparently you haven't seen a game this year. Also...contrary your thought process...having a franchise tackle (which we don't have) and an overall strong o-line is critical. And whats all this nonsense of not picking up an OT in the first round? How many tackles went in the first round this year? Last year? Exactly.

We're below average in running which is our bread and butter -- and passing -- which I'd like us to see the 49ers excel at sometime in the near future. Yes we need some defensive peices too but I'm pretty sure you can find them in the mid rounds as well.

Based on what????

Exactly!

Based on Pashos being out for the year? Or the fact that Chilo's underachieved? Or how about Snyder's inevitable move back to RT, which is a position he's struggled at since the beginning of time.
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
We 'll need Crabtree to play big because we'll probably need Vernon to block more.
Can we lease out an O-Line from some other team
I think as long as we take a couple deep shots in the game defenses will loosen up realizing the have to defend the whole field.
I say move Wragge to RG and let Snyder stay at RT, but were gonna need to chip Mathis and Freeney and keep a FB and TE back to block, Walker, Robinson and Norris should be used a little more at FB for this game so we have a fresh FB in the game to block.

i hope so...

If next years draft isnt used on O lineman, we are doomed. If berry is available, take him, otherwise, go with best OL available.

foolish..

when a draft is so heavy in play makers and skill position players, you do not go after players who play positions that can be found in the mid rounds who are very solid at their respective positions..

with the looming rookie cap that is likely to be in place in the draft following this next year. there are going to be an unprecedented number of juniors and redshirt sophmores declaring for those skill postions and playmakers who want the most money they can get..

if we take an offensive linemen with EITHER first round pick i will be shocked with the huge number of talent at the postions that are normally hard to find in this years draft..if we have an early to mid 2nd round pick, i would be shocked at o-line there as well, late 2nd round would make sense as there will be offensive linemen in the 2nd, 3rd and possibly even 4th round this year that would likely go in the 1st round of any of the recent drafts..

both firsts will likely see us go, safety/cb and dline/olb...OR QB if Alex struggles. an early 2nd will again likely see us go defense at one of the prior mentioned positions that didnt get picked...a late second i wouldnt be surprised to go oline there, and i definitely think in the 3rd and 4th round we address offensive line..

disagree all you want, just take a look at the league and compare the number of GOOD offensive linemen that are taken in the middle rounds in comparison to early rounds to those GOOD skill players that are taken in those respective rounds as well...they exist, but the Oline stat HEAVILY outweighs the other..

LOL! Isn't our current O-line following your blueprint for "success"?

Staley - 1st rounder (exception)
Baas - 2nd rounder
Heitmann - 7th rounder
Chilo - 2nd rounder
Snyder - 3rd rounder

Wragge & Sims both undrafted

Last time I checked, our best lineman was picked in the 1st round!
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Oct 27, 2009 at 2:41 PM ]
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:

i hope so...

foolish..

Apparently you haven't seen a game this year. Also...contrary your thought process...having a franchise tackle (which we don't have) and an overall strong o-line is critical. And whats all this nonsense of not picking up an OT in the first round? How many tackles went in the first round this year? Last year? Exactly.

We're below average in running which is our bread and butter -- and passing -- which I'd like us to see the 49ers excel at sometime in the near future. Yes we need some defensive peices too but I'm pretty sure you can find them in the mid rounds as well.

and the 1st overall pick last year has been having some issues this year, Joe Thomas hasn'nt been looking too hot, eugene monroe AND ebon britton have been looking quite regular, while sam baker, though yes a 1st round pick was the 7th tackle taken in the 2008 draft is having the best season of any recent offensive tackles taken in the last few years..

your opinion is fine, however your logic is flawed..
Originally posted by doc_brown_:

LOL! Isn't our current O-line following your blueprint for "success"?

Staley - 1st rounder (exception)
Baas - 2nd rounder
Heitmann - 7th rounder
Chilo - 2nd rounder
Snyder - 3rd rounder

Wragge & Sims both undrafted

Last time I checked, our best lineman was picked in the 1st round!

except for our best offensive lineman this year, has been eric Heitmann, he has given up the least amount of sacks on the season, and in regards to run blocking. staley is hardly our best..
Time to set that 3 second practice clock down to 2...
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:

i hope so...

foolish..

and the 1st overall pick last year has been having some issues this year, Joe Thomas hasn'nt been looking too hot, eugene monroe AND ebon britton have been looking quite regular, while sam baker, though yes a 1st round pick was the 7th tackle taken in the 2008 draft is having the best season of any recent offensive tackles taken in the last few years..

your opinion is fine, however your logic is flawed..

I'd rather take a chance on regular that the crap we have now. Jake Long plays for a team that plays out of the wildcat and runs at will and he's still young.

Or maybe we land the next Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden?

You forgot to mention the recent first rounders that disprove your argument Including Jeff Otah, Sam Baker, Duane Brown, Ryan Clady and D'Brickashaw Ferguson and another list of average linemen I'd rather have on my team.

Are you saying this isn't a first round concern since our starters suck for the most part and we have no depth? Or you would just rather draft depth in late rounds to pad the crap we have starting? Just because some team found a gem doesn't mean its a lock
Share 49ersWebzone