There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

start alex smith after the bye?

start alex smith after the bye?

A QB change alone is not going to do a thing (except maybe makes things worse). Right now, with our personnel and coaching, I think Shaun Hill has the best chance of winning.
  • sden49
  • Info N/A
There are no good options at qb right now. A game manager is the best option we have right now. That's why hill is in there. He's done a good job at that and that's why we are 3 and 2.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
A QB change alone is not going to do a thing (except maybe makes things worse). Right now, with our personnel and coaching, I think Shaun Hill has the best chance of winning.

Sadly you are correct!
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by 9ermj:
Originally posted by obx49:
Wow! 45 pages of arguments about a bust QB who never was and never will be. Here is an idea: Play out the season, see what happens, and if it doesn't go anywhere trade for McNabb, try to snatch Brandon Marshall from free agency, draft OL in the draft, and get rid of the old bag at OC. Problem solved.

Brilliant. What's another lost season? I mean, we've already had 6 in a row so what's another year? Let's just keep waiting until 2020. By then, Hill's arm will be even stronger.

Seriously though, McNabb? Marshall? Is this Madden or what?

Wow with part time Gm's like this , maybe Smith isn't done if they think McNabb and Brandon MArshall are coming , why stop there how about Brady and Moss

These people just don't understand the power of the almighty Smith.

I believe in the second coming....

He will lead us to the promise land!!!

Question for the MODS...Can I change my name to AlexthekingSmith or is that sacrilegious?

It doesn't even have to be Smith. Give Nate a simplified playbook. He can't do much worse than Hill, even as a rookie. Seriously, 2,000 yards and 16 TDs? If Hill keeps this up, why not? Give me one good reason. The OL sucks? So what are we going to do? Build an All-World OL before we sign a quality QB?

You're right if Hill is the reason we lose the next 3 games then we need to make a change. I just don't get why people would make a change now. Also the people either have real bad memories or just plain lying to themselves about how good Smith played the past 5 years.

I can only speak for myself when I say this, but I am not even calling for him to start the rest of the season. I am wondering why the hell the staff didnt put him in the game toward the end of the 3rd quarter when it was obvious Hill wasnt getting it done, and the game was out of control.

I will say that if Hill comes out against Houston and doesnt look any better, I would be willing to bet Singletary makes the change. Houston has a beast of a D line and Super Mario is going to give Hill fits so it may happen sooner rather than later. One thing is for certain, Singletary is not afraid to sit down players. We saw it with JTO, Hill, and Davis last year.
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
its just 1 game..... everyone needs to calm dowm

its just 5 games..... noone needs to calm dowm
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by FourNine49:

Sadly you are correct!

I mean, the only way I see a QB change being beneficial is by also having a OC change (at the very minimum). Hill is Raye's wet dream for his offensive philosophy
Gawd........ NO SMITH!!!!!! NO NEVER!! Imagine him under the duress Hill has been under with the brilliant Oline?!?!

Can you imagine, or not?

I don't get this.. it is not Hill's fault toe the fullest extent that this offense is dismal. Why don't you guys call up Raye and tell him to get his head outta his a$$ and ughhh.. adapt to changes in defenses we see..
Originally posted by 9ermj:
Wow! 45 pages of arguments about a bust QB who never was and never will be. Here is an idea: Play out the season, see what happens, and if it doesn't go anywhere trade for McNabb, try to snatch Brandon Marshall from free agency, draft OL in the draft, and get rid of the old bag at OC. Problem solved.

Brilliant. What's another lost season? I mean, we've already had 6 in a row so what's another year? Let's just keep waiting until 2020. By then, Hill's arm will be even stronger.

Wow with part time Gm's like this , maybe Smith isn't done if they think McNabb and Brandon MArshall are coming , why stop there how about Brady and Moss

These people just don't understand the power of the almighty Smith.

I believe in the second coming....

He will lead us to the promise land!!!

Question for the MODS...Can I change my name to AlexthekingSmith or is that sacrilegious?

It doesn't even have to be Smith. Give Nate a simplified playbook. He can't do much worse than Hill, even as a rookie. Seriously, 2,000 yards and 16 TDs? If Hill keeps this up, why not? Give me one good reason. The OL sucks? So what are we going to do? Build an All-World OL before we sign a quality QB?

This -

He is young=can get away from dismal blocking better. He has a faster release and, so far, faster looking decision making, could I please see another rope through like Ryan was doing, only form someone on our team?? HE has done this during preseason..

I'm not saying he is the answer, but he could very well be one of the answers. So in a couple games outta the bye, if we are seeing this kind of QB play, why the heck not?? Also, sure go ahead, put Smith in during another crushing D performance from an opposing team and let's just see..

So I guess; not, NOT NEVER, let's see what he has now.. for my money, it will the same, but with more ints..

NINERS!!!
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
f**k ALEX SMITH! PUT NATE DAVIS IN!!!

dude can only ball against people who are getting cut by the raiders sucked against the chargers

You don't know this.

What do you know?

How do you know he is not another Stafford or Sanchez, ready to play decent ball and make the opposing D drop out of 8 & 9 in the box..
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
We do need a better starting quarterback. But right now Hill gives us our best chance to win.... at least that's what the coaching staff thinks. I'm not convinced.

If you're gonna be a "run the ball and play defense" team, you'd better be able to run the ball. Right now we can't do that, so we'd better figure out how to throw it down the field. Alex Smith is better at throwing the deep ball, and that's the threat that keeps the SS out of the box, helping the run game a little.

When Smith was playing, we still saw 8 and 9 in the box every down because: 1) he didn't have any receivers to throw to, and 2) he sucked due to inexperience. I remember what he did with Antonio Bryant. Not bad. I'm ready to see what he can do again... if the 49ers continue to lose this year. Right now, we're in 1st place. No way you pull the plug on your starting quarterback when you're in 1st place.

Let's have this conversation again in a month or so, after the Titans game. For now, be patient.

how can a scrub who throw 35 times for 100 yrds be our best chance,
The Dolphins gave Henne a chance, and we need to give ALex one game

That is exactly what I am thinking. We know for sure that Hill sucks. ... I want to see Alex. At least he can throw a spiral.

Hill really sucks(sarc); when he is absolute getting his a$$ kicked and nearly every snap there is a passing play called. How do you think the Manning's would do if they got their heads handed to them every other snap..

We all thought he was our best chance and THE QB leader we had on the team when the Oline blocked and he made plays, what has changed? I'll tell you what; even worse blocking than before and pulling Vernon out of the blocking scheme to try to make plays with him.

I don't buy what Hill said after the game, that he was cursing himself after the hits and incomplete passes. It looked to me, like he was cursing Chilio and a couple others for having 1.5 seconds to try to make something happen..

Clues abound, get one..

I can't imagine Smith in his shoes during that game. I think 3 INT min, and throwing the ball out of bounds ever 3rd attempt. Why would he play different than in the past in a situation where guys were coming totally free?? I mean didn't you guys see teh D coming totally free and whiffed blocks???

Niners!!!!!
Instead of playing our offense,

let's play our defense. On offense. Who's with me??
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Gawd........ NO SMITH!!!!!! NO NEVER!! Imagine him under the duress Hill has been under with the brilliant Oline?!?!

Can you imagine, or not?

I don't get this.. it is not Hill's fault toe the fullest extent that this offense is dismal. Why don't you guys call up Raye and tell him to get his head outta his a$$ and ughhh.. adapt to changes in defenses we see..

Funny, I could have made that exact same comment 3 years ago, and just changed the names from Hill to Smith. The bias never ceases to amaze me.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

Can you imagine, or not?

Funny, I could have made that exact same comment 3 years ago, and just changed the names from Hill to Smith. The bias never ceases to amaze me.

Well I don't know about you, but Smith just never looked right to me from the first time I saw him play.

The only exceptions were the game with the Hawks when he made a few outstanding plays and the drive at home in o6.

For sure I am biased; I have seen many great to good QBs play, and I judge what I see from our players with that criteria in hand/mind. By that criteria I don't see Smith as an upgrade, UNLESS he has a line like a wall in front of him. Sure he can pass down field, but how many times does he hit his receiver?

People are forgetting some of the down field plays Hill has made. For instance the 45yrd play to Morgan, among a few others..

Bias is a matter of personal preference and in it's best scenario on a empirically based opinion; that is one that has seen various examples that create a data base of references.

In that context, yes I am biased against Smith as the answer to our passing problems..

NINERS!!!!!!!
  • OHHWHAT
  • Info N/A
Start N. davis and Fire Bill Cosby...I mean Jimmy Raye
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kezar49er:

So after one loss all of the sudden you want to make changes? 19 TDs and 31INTs with a 63.4 QB rating doesn't concern you at all? Just face the facts, Hill is the better QB and he DOESN'T TURNOVER THE BALL. As far as McNabb and Marshall go, unless the Eagles win the Superbowl this year there is a 99% chance that McNabb will not be on the Eagles squad next year and there is a great opportunity for us to trade one of our first round draft picks along with a 3rd rounder to get McNabb. And with the Broncos refusing to resign Marshall, he will be a free agent next season. By the way, I've played Madden maybe 3 times in my life and I have better things to do with my life than play silly cartoon games.

A 1st and 3rd for Mcnabb, how about we throw in Willis, brillant

Yea, McNabb isn't worth a 1st and a 3rd. It's not like he's a probowler or throws for over 3000yds in a season or averages 300 yds/game. Speaking of 300yds in a game, when is the last time any of our QBs threw for 300yds in any game? Yea, great idea, let's not waste any draft picks on a proven QB who can take us to the playoffs on a consistent basis? Playoffs? What's that? Yea, we should just keep the picks and draft an unproven QB from college who will most likely need a couple of years to develop while our young proven players that we have now get older.

[ Edited by obx49 on Oct 13, 2009 at 01:18:21 ]