There are 178 users in the forums

start alex smith after the bye?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

start alex smith after the bye?

Ok I'm a little confused right now so maybe some of you can help me understand:

Alex struggle his rookie year because he had no protection. Some say he was thrown out to the wolves. Either way he has never shown anything to any of the so called experts to be anything more than a back up QB. That's if they are being nice and not calling him a bust.

Davis has shown promise so we want to throw him out there so he can take the same beating as Alex did. He will have no run support and our receiving corp is not made of speedsters so his deep passing ablitity isn't really a factor.

Hill has a 70 percent winning percentage as a starter. He will never thread the needle but he also will never throw to the ball to the other team more than his own (sorry Alex I don't mean to offend you).

So why are we arguing again?
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Start Smith huh............. I guess. If you think Mr. Happy feet that holds on to the ball for way too long and misses easy throws will fare any better with that horrible O-line then I'm all for starting him

Can he do any worse? Can ANY QB do any worse? Seriously, I bet if we picked up someone off the street, he'd do the same thing Hill is doing, and then some (Jeff Garcia is one example).

Smith might not be do much better than Hill, but I think it's a legit question. The offense has been horrible this year starting first and foremost with the QB position. I seriously think that a couple more bad games from Hill and you'll see Smith out there. It wouldn't hurt to try and spark the offense a little.

What would I do? I'm so sick of the Hill-Smith debate, that I'd just put in Nate Davis and give him a simplified playbook. He can't do much worse and he has a rocket arm. He's also mobile. Mobile QBs are good when your OL sucks and are constantly being blitzed. I'm also tired of having guys rot on the bench. They're profession football players. They make millions of dollars. They can learn on the fly.

He asks, "Can we do any worse?" Just Turn OverSULLIVAN
If we were losing at the bye, then I would be all for it. I still can't believe we want a winning QB benched for a guy who has shown extremly little and less than the current starter.
Originally posted by Joecool:
If we were losing at the bye, then I would be all for it. I still can't believe we want a winning QB benched for a guy who has shown extremly little and less than the current starter.

You must be the president and founder of the Captain Wounded Duck Fan Club.

Hill has shown jack through five games this season. Jack. Now, Smith has shown much either, but the point is many fans would like to see something done with the quarterback position. We'd like to see someone capable of throwing the ball instead of just putting up duck after duck.
alright 1st off are we really gonna start this "start alex" crap again , face it shaun is our starter, he has 2 ints!!!!!!(it was tipped by a lineman for goodness sake) thru 5 games , alex would of had 6 by now
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Ok I'm a little confused right now so maybe some of you can help me understand:

Alex struggle his rookie year because he had no protection. Some say he was thrown out to the wolves. Either way he has never shown anything to any of the so called experts to be anything more than a back up QB. That's if they are being nice and not calling him a bust.

Davis has shown promise so we want to throw him out there so he can take the same beating as Alex did. He will have no run support and our receiving corp is not made of speedsters so his deep passing ablitity isn't really a factor.

Hill has a 70 percent winning percentage as a starter. He will never thread the needle but he also will never throw to the ball to the other team more than his own (sorry Alex I don't mean to offend you).

So why are we arguing again?

you couldn't have put it any better! THANK YOU!!!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Shaun Hill has proven he can perform well against NFL teams and has gotten the approval and support from former NFL players and analysts. People who like to talk s**t about him live in a fantasy world where they think we can trade for an elite QB. The fact of the matter is, Hill can't do it all by himself. Tom Brady would be injured if he played with this O-Line. Jimmy Raye needs to take the cuffs of Hill and let him throw the ball.

For you posters that are so pissed that Hill is our QB, he gets wins. Who gives a s**t if he's not flashy or can throw 60 yards. It doesn't matter. What matters at the end of the day is if he is putting our team in a position to win.

Jimmy Raye let Hill throw 38 times on Sunday and only ran the ball 16 times. He DID take the cuffs off of Hill, and when he tried giving him a shot to see if he could get it going he unraveled like a ball of string. Sorry but he is not going to bring you back. This guy doesn't even have the arm of Pennington or Garcia, he can't throw the deep outs or the go routes or the deep post. His accuracy hasn't been very good either, he has a 56% completion %. My deal is it's not just THIS game. He has sucked in almost every game. We've been winning because of Gore and PWilly and the defense, we've been winning inspite of him.

Is everybody on this board on Crack? Hill cannot carry a team. I as many others here believe the first most basic skill a QB should have is the ability to throw the ball properly. I mean, throw a damn spiral not a end over end ball. Surely, if hill could throw a spiral he could throw if deeper... Has anybody gone out to throw the ball and thrown a Hill Pass, end over end? Guess what, it doesn't go very far.... Hill can't make the throws because he hasn't mastered throwing a damn football. Alex can manage a game just as hill does but he can also throw a ball with a spiral. He can also make most all of the throws and Hill cannot. Like I said 7-9 in 06 with NO talent! He could do better now with the talent we have.
Originally posted by Squirrel:

Hill has shown jack through five games this season. Jack. Now, Smith has shown much either, but the point is many fans would like to see something done with the quarterback position. We'd like to see someone capable of throwing the ball instead of just putting up duck after duck.

Would you like to know how opposing Defense's prepare for Hill?

Originally posted by bambam52:
alright 1st off are we really gonna start this "start alex" crap again , face it shaun is our starter, he has 2 ints!!!!!!(it was tipped by a lineman for goodness sake) thru 5 games , alex would of had 6 by now

Yeah, and the dude has broken 200 yards in only one game this season. His per pass average is -- ready for this -- 6.2 yards. Woo-hoo! He's a gamer!
Originally posted by jreff22:

• pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bambam52:

He has 2 int's because he doesn't throw catchable balls. Guys on his own team can't even catch them and they are ready for it, how is the D going to pick off an unexpected duck?
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by jreff22:

Share 49ersWebzone