Shop Find 49ers gear online

start alex smith after the bye?

Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by obx49:
Wow! 45 pages of arguments about a bust QB who never was and never will be. Here is an idea: Play out the season, see what happens, and if it doesn't go anywhere trade for McNabb, try to snatch Brandon Marshall from free agency, draft OL in the draft, and get rid of the old bag at OC. Problem solved.

Brilliant. What's another lost season? I mean, we've already had 6 in a row so what's another year? Let's just keep waiting until 2020. By then, Hill's arm will be even stronger.

Seriously though, McNabb? Marshall? Is this Madden or what?

So after one loss all of the sudden you want to make changes? 19 TDs and 31INTs with a 63.4 QB rating doesn't concern you at all? Just face the facts, Hill is the better QB and he DOESN'T TURNOVER THE BALL. As far as McNabb and Marshall go, unless the Eagles win the Superbowl this year there is a 99% chance that McNabb will not be with on the Eagles squad next year and there is a great opportunity for us to trade one of our first round draft picks along with a 3rd rounder to get McNabb. And with the Broncos refusing to resign Marshall, he will be a free agent next season. By the way, I've played Madden maybe 3 times in my life and I have better things with my life to do than play silly cartoon games.

5 TDs, averaging less than 180 yards per game doesn't concern you, especially from someone 4 years older than Smith? The lack of being able to throw a spiral, something basic to all QBs, doesn't concern you? The fact that he doesn't turn the ball over is good enough to offset that? Why, because we have the '85 Bears defense to rely on, right?

Hill doesn't turn the ball over, but we lead the league with the most three-and-outs. Pretty similar to a turnover if you ask me.

And lastly, it's not about one bad game. If that's the case, you let it go. It happens. He's played like crap for 5 games now. Even in the drive in Arizona at the end of the game, Hill threw a ball that should've been intercepted, but he got lucky. He did the same thing in the drive against Minnesota (pass in double coverage to Vernon Davis). The guy isn't an NFL-quality starter. How many more lost seasons do we need to realize this?

Look, ultimately I do agree with you, we need a better QB, Hill is definitely not the long term answer. That being said, all that matters at the end of the day are W's and if Shaun Hill continues to do whatever he does to win us some games and takes us to the playoffs then he has my 100% support. When that day comes where Hill has a loosing streak and is not producing for us then I am all for making a change. In the mean time whether we like it or not Hill is our QB and we should back him 100%.

Which is why I was supporting Hill earlier. We were 2-0 and then 3-2. Now we're on the verge of being 3-4 or worse. Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little. Hopefully the bye helps us somehow. Maybe Hill plays lights out after the bye. Maybe Crabtree turns this offense around. I'll back Hill as long as we're winning, but as soon as our record slips to .500 or worse, what's the point of sticking with Hill?

We need a win in Houston badly.

agree with ya there. If defenses have supposedly figured him out as some like to proclaim, he will get regularly beat in the next few weeks. If he looks as terrible as he did yesterday, I am all for benching him given the next game or two...
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Wow! 45 pages of arguments about a bust QB who never was and never will be. Here is an idea: Play out the season, see what happens, and if it doesn't go anywhere trade for McNabb, try to snatch Brandon Marshall from free agency, draft OL in the draft, and get rid of the old bag at OC. Problem solved.

Brilliant. What's another lost season? I mean, we've already had 6 in a row so what's another year? Let's just keep waiting until 2020. By then, Hill's arm will be even stronger.

So after one loss all of the sudden you want to make changes? 19 TDs and 31INTs with a 63.4 QB rating doesn't concern you at all? Just face the facts, Hill is the better QB and he DOESN'T TURNOVER THE BALL. As far as McNabb and Marshall go, unless the Eagles win the Superbowl this year there is a 99% chance that McNabb will not be with on the Eagles squad next year and there is a great opportunity for us to trade one of our first round draft picks along with a 3rd rounder to get McNabb. And with the Broncos refusing to resign Marshall, he will be a free agent next season. By the way, I've played Madden maybe 3 times in my life and I have better things with my life to do than play silly cartoon games.

5 TDs, averaging less than 180 yards per game doesn't concern you, especially from someone 4 years older than Smith? The lack of being able to throw a spiral, something basic to all QBs, doesn't concern you? The fact that he doesn't turn the ball over is good enough to offset that? Why, because we have the '85 Bears defense to rely on, right?

Hill doesn't turn the ball over, but we lead the league with the most three-and-outs. Pretty similar to a turnover if you ask me.

And lastly, it's not about one bad game. If that's the case, you let it go. It happens. He's played like crap for 5 games now. Even in the drive in Arizona at the end of the game, Hill threw a ball that should've been intercepted, but he got lucky. He did the same thing in the drive against Minnesota (pass in double coverage to Vernon Davis). The guy isn't an NFL-quality starter. How many more lost seasons do we need to realize this?

Look, ultimately I do agree with you, we need a better QB, Hill is definitely not the long term answer. That being said, all that matters at the end of the day are W's and if Shaun Hill continues to do whatever he does to win us some games and takes us to the playoffs then he has my 100% support. When that day comes where Hill has a loosing streak and is not producing for us then I am all for making a change. In the mean time whether we like it or not Hill is our QB and we should back him 100%.

Which is why I was supporting Hill earlier. We were 2-0 and then 3-2. Now we're on the verge of being 3-4 or worse. Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little. Hopefully the bye helps us somehow. Maybe Hill plays lights out after the bye. Maybe Crabtree turns this offense around. I'll back Hill as long as we're winning, but as soon as our record slips to .500 or worse, what's the point of sticking with Hill?

Damn..I didn't know the game in Houston counts as two!!! JK

Well, I've already concluded that the game in Indy is going to be a blowout loss. Hopefully we can do better than 45-10 though.
  • obx49
  • Veteran

That will be a very telling and pivotal game for us. If we play the same way we played against Atlanta, then I will be the first in line calling for Hill's head and demanding that Nate Davis get a shot.
We do need a better starting quarterback. But right now Hill gives us our best chance to win.... at least that's what the coaching staff thinks. I'm not convinced.

If you're gonna be a "run the ball and play defense" team, you'd better be able to run the ball. Right now we can't do that, so we'd better figure out how to throw it down the field. Alex Smith is better at throwing the deep ball, and that's the threat that keeps the SS out of the box, helping the run game a little.

When Smith was playing, we still saw 8 and 9 in the box every down because: 1) he didn't have any receivers to throw to, and 2) he sucked due to inexperience. I remember what he did with Antonio Bryant. Not bad. I'm ready to see what he can do again... if the 49ers continue to lose this year. Right now, we're in 1st place. No way you pull the plug on your starting quarterback when you're in 1st place.

Let's have this conversation again in a month or so, after the Titans game. For now, be patient.

[ Edited by mississippi_sam on Oct 12, 2009 at 20:23:12 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
We do need a better starting quarterback. But right now Hill gives us our best chance to win.... at least that's what the coaching staff thinks. I'm not convinced.

If you're gonna be a "run the ball and play defense" team, you'd better be able to run the ball. Right now we can't do that, so we'd better figure out how to throw it down the field. Alex Smith is better at throwing the deep ball, and that's the threat that keeps the SS out of the box, helping the run game a little.

When Smith was playing, we still saw 8 and 9 in the box every down because: 1) he didn't have any receivers to throw to, and 2) he sucked due to inexperience. I remember what he did with Antonio Bryant. Not bad. I'm ready to see what he can do again... if the 49ers continue to lose this year. Right now, we're in 1st place. No way you pull the plug on your starting quarterback when you're in 1st place.

Let's say we lose to Houston and Indianapolis and end up in 2nd place. Would you consider benching him?

Let's say we lose to Houston and Indianapolis and end up in 2nd place. Would you consider benching him?

Yes. I would consider it at that point, and that is likely. Then we get the Titans at home. If the worst case scenario unfolds, and we lose our next three, then I will strongly be in favor of Alex Smith starting at home against the Bears.

Let's have this conversation again in a month or so, after the Titans game. For now, be patient.

how can a scrub who throw 35 times for 100 yrds be our best chance,
The Dolphins gave Henne a chance, and we need to give ALex one game
Originally posted by 49erman5692:

We gave Smith 5 years.
Well, watching the Fins roll to the right half a dozen times and make plays reminds me of what we did with Alex and what could be. The guy made plays but he did have pretty darn good protection. I have to think Alex could do the same with the talent we now have at the skill positions. See everybody wants to say Alex sucked and I say yes, with the talent he had he sucked but we are not the same now and I truly think we would see more big plays and better QB play with Alex now vrs then.
Originally posted by 49erman5692:

That is exactly what I am thinking. We know for sure that Hill sucks. ... I want to see Alex. At least he can throw a spiral.

f**k ALEX SMITH! PUT NATE DAVIS IN!!!
The worst thing Singletary ever did to Hill was make him the starter. If he gave the job to Smith we would probably be 1-4 right now and the same people would be crying about how Hill should be in there.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
f**k ALEX SMITH! PUT NATE DAVIS IN!!!

dude can only ball against people who are getting cut by the raiders sucked against the chargers
If the OLine doesn't get their stuff together soon Smith will get his chance and Davis as well.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
If the OLine doesn't get their stuff together soon Smith will get his chance and Davis as well.

Very true.
Share 49ersWebzone