LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

start alex smith after the bye?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

start alex smith after the bye?

Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
If the OLine doesn't get their stuff together soon Smith will get his chance and Davis as well.

Very true.

luckily the texans D is not too good
48 pages after one bad game.

Imagine if Crabtree hadn't signed yet
LET'S DO IT!!!! CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!!!
The worst thing Singletary ever did to Hill was make him the starter. If he gave the job to Smith we would probably be 1-4 right now and the same people would be crying about how Hill should be in there.

Well I guess if going 7-9 with NO defense and pretty much only 1 player at a skill position on offense FRANK GORE that other teams would want as a starter I'd say Alex can't do any worse than Hill. Oh, I forgot we had A. Bryant that we kicked to the curb also that year. He started out strong but then vanished after about 5 games. We are a much better team now and if Alex could go 7-9 with that team then surely he could win 2-3 more games with the players we have now.

Anybody think about the fact that without Gore, We pretty much sucked on offense the last two games? Yea, we can beat up on the Rams but how much of that was due to our Defense and a team that couldn't beat many college teams?

All I can say is at least Alex can throw a spiral. That should be the very first, most basic thing a QB can do. Hill can't do that. I throw the ball better than Hill and can throw it further and I'm just an armchair QB.
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
We do need a better starting quarterback. But right now Hill gives us our best chance to win.... at least that's what the coaching staff thinks. I'm not convinced.

If you're gonna be a "run the ball and play defense" team, you'd better be able to run the ball. Right now we can't do that, so we'd better figure out how to throw it down the field. Alex Smith is better at throwing the deep ball, and that's the threat that keeps the SS out of the box, helping the run game a little.

When Smith was playing, we still saw 8 and 9 in the box every down because: 1) he didn't have any receivers to throw to, and 2) he sucked due to inexperience. I remember what he did with Antonio Bryant. Not bad. I'm ready to see what he can do again... if the 49ers continue to lose this year. Right now, we're in 1st place. No way you pull the plug on your starting quarterback when you're in 1st place.

Let's have this conversation again in a month or so, after the Titans game. For now, be patient.

how can a scrub who throw 35 times for 100 yrds be our best chance,
The Dolphins gave Henne a chance, and we need to give ALex one game

We gave Smith 5 years.

he was hurt for 2 years buddy..get the fact right
If this thread make 100 pages, then Alex Smith starts.

Sing told me so.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

Sing told me so.

its just 1 game..... everyone needs to calm dowm
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by B650:
Wow! 45 pages of arguments about a bust QB who never was and never will be. Here is an idea: Play out the season, see what happens, and if it doesn't go anywhere trade for McNabb, try to snatch Brandon Marshall from free agency, draft OL in the draft, and get rid of the old bag at OC. Problem solved.

Brilliant. What's another lost season? I mean, we've already had 6 in a row so what's another year? Let's just keep waiting until 2020. By then, Hill's arm will be even stronger.

Seriously though, McNabb? Marshall? Is this Madden or what?

So after one loss all of the sudden you want to make changes? 19 TDs and 31INTs with a 63.4 QB rating doesn't concern you at all? Just face the facts, Hill is the better QB and he DOESN'T TURNOVER THE BALL. As far as McNabb and Marshall go, unless the Eagles win the Superbowl this year there is a 99% chance that McNabb will not be on the Eagles squad next year and there is a great opportunity for us to trade one of our first round draft picks along with a 3rd rounder to get McNabb. And with the Broncos refusing to resign Marshall, he will be a free agent next season. By the way, I've played Madden maybe 3 times in my life and I have better things to do with my life than play silly cartoon games.

A 1st and 3rd for Mcnabb, how about we throw in Willis, brillant
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

Sing told me so.

Originally posted by 49erForLife420:

Really?The 3rd down conversions say otherwise-LAST IN THE NFL

That alone needs to improve immediately if not changes need to be made
Originally posted by Super5:

Really?The 3rd down conversions say otherwise-LAST IN THE NFL

That alone needs to improve immediately if not changes need to be made

I distinctly remember the Niners always leading the league in 3 and outs under Alex Smith as well
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
Originally posted by 49erfan27:
I would rather see smith start and fail then see a 2nd rate game manager qb under center and be revealed against elite teams like we saw today

thank you... I completely agree

Then why put in Smith? In case all of you Smith homers forgot. HE IS WORSE THAN HILL. Heck, Smith can't even do what Hill has done. If he could, he would be PLAYING, don't ya think?? Smith doesn't give us a better chance than Hill. WOW.

HOW DO YOU KNOW?? before smith went down for the first time he was also 2-1 as a starter, and let the team 80 sum yards with the last minute against arizona cardinals. then he broke his shoulder. HE SHOWED ALOT OF UPSIDE

Hill never has good stats so any quarterback can basically do what he can.. HILL'S PHILOSOPHY IS THIS... if no one is open, dont try to make anything happen.. just take the sack.. anyone can do this... im sorry alex smith trys to make something happen for once... ON top of this, HILL has a noodle arm and runs as fast as a turtle... At least alex is athletic..

If you enjoy no production from the QB position, then i understand why you like hill

ive been trying to say that for a while none of the WR we had then wouldve started now OL was way worse the D didnt lead the team like it is now but they dont understand s**t they just dont know much about football

Thank you... we never had a team anywhere close to what we have now

It may just have been one game, but it was indicative of the problems we've been seeing with Hill over the course of the season. Inaccuracy, wobbly throws, too willing to check down, etc. Sure, some of this is playcalling, but his physical skills--or lack thereof--prevent us from being effective when we need to throw. Can Smith do better? I don't know. On paper, he's got the tools and he's still only had 30 starts--less than two full years under center and two years removed from being under center. I can say that I thought he should have been given a shot yesterday when the O was sucking.

I mentioned yesterday that when Hill makes a good play, I am surprised. This is not a good reaction. You want to be satisfied, not surprised by the starting QBs good play. At this point, both of our QBs would elicit the same reaction. I just want a good QB.
I have come to the conclusion that more people on this board know NOTHING about football than the idiots over at the ClanRam forum who still think the Rams are the Greatest Show On Turf...

People, Alex gives us a QB that can at least make some Big Plays. He can do everything that Hill can do, hand off to Gore and throw about 15-20 short passes a game but he also adds another dimension to the game that Hill simply cannot, the Big Strike... He can also move around and is more mobile. With Gore healthy, and some decent WR's, Crabtree, Bruce, Morgan + V. Davis doing what he is doing we should try Alex to see what kind of spark we get. Yea, I know as a rookie he sucked and his second year he was better but not a good QB by any means but seriously, He is a better QB than Hill with a bigger arm and better athletic skill set. I simply cannot see him not doing decent in this system with what we have now. He can do better than 7-9 that he did with far less.
Share 49ersWebzone