There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

start alex smith after the bye?

start alex smith after the bye?

Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Just because Hill sucks, doesn't mean Smith got better. The fact that Smith doesn't start should show you guys how bad he is.

Great logic. Would love to see what you do for a day job.

It is good logic. It fact that Hill has proved to be better than Smith shows how bad Smith really is.

Proved what??He looked like crap in preseason and won over a guy who hasn't played in 2 yrs and although he's been okay so far in the reg season,today does prove without the defense the 49ers will lose.Once they fall behind too far S.Hill doesn't have for example the arm strength to make plays downfield and put points on the board in a hurry.His last pass of the game explains it all.I rest my case.
Originally posted by Apone:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by Apone:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
I was actually hoping that Nate would play in the 4th 1/4. Forget Smith, he is nothing more then a backup.

And this is based on?? Oh I know the past 3 years he has played in which 2 of those years he was injured. Gotcha!

If you dont know what this is based on, you've been high for the past 5 years. This isnt just one independent Niner follower. The majority of NINER FANS think he's a bust........

Really, strangely 55% of that majority still want Smith to start after the bye.

those people must be high on something. i honestly want AS to start and show how terrible he is. if he isn't -- GREAT NEWS. but i just don't ever see him doing anything good until he is signed by another team

This makes no sense. Smith is "terrible" and won't do "anything good" until he signed by another team? If he is terrible, why would he do good for another team?

because Hill is such a great QB. Didn't you see the evidence of that in today's game? One thing I have learned is that Hill swingers will come up with any asinine reason for Hill and his shortcomings

first of all im not saying hill is a great QB at all. not once did i say that. im not a hill love or a smith hater, im stating the facts. Shaun Hill BEAT Alex Smith in the QB competition. Bottom line. I don't see how he would be an upgrade if he can't beat our s**tty starting QB. I want a QB that we don't have to cry and moan about all day like we do now. They both suck. Neither of them will be an answer and until we get a better QB we will always be in the "almost there" category of NFL teams.

Shaun Hill didn't beat Smith in the competition. They both played like crap in the preseason. And I felt that Smith played a little better than Hill. Singletary made it pretty clear that Smith was a mystery and he knew what he had in Hill. He went with Hill because he knew he had a game manager in him and that he wouldn't lose any games based on his mistakes The only reason why I felt Smith would have given us a better chance to get back into the game was based on this

Hill was struggling
Hill lacks arm strength to stretch the field
Smith could have been the spark needed to generate some points(even pointed out by announcers)
Smith can hand the ball off to Glenn Crappy just as well as Hill.
Smith might have seen this as his last chance and would have put everything into it to try and win back his starting spot and the respect of his coach and teammates.

He didnt?

Yes! I am with you! I am not defending Hill's s**ttiness man, and I'm in the same boat I don't know why MS didn't put in AS either, but that's why we're fans, not coaches. If Hill continues to struggle and we stink it up in Houston and Indy, then let's see where AS can take us. I just don't think after one horrible game we should call for Hill's head. Rationality must overcome emotion!

I can respect that. With two weeks to prepare, he needs to look good and win against the Texans, which shouldn't be that hard, since they (Texans) have one of the worst defenses in the league especially against the run.

What needs to be done is make a gameplan that involves mixing it up! It's unbelievable how terrible our playcalling is. How about passes on first down? Play action? I don't think there was one PA on 1st down. The one on 4th down work for a big gainer and they just dropped it from the gameplan after it makes me wanna throw up. And with two weeks to prepare and a lot of tape to watch, we better come out strong. And double team Andre Johnson -- he is capable of hurting us just as badly, if not worse, than Roddy White.
As much as I support Alex, I still say no. Benching Hill would be stupid. Every QB has bad days, sticking with Hill would tell him that the coaches still believe in him and not hurt his confidence.
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Just because Hill sucks, doesn't mean Smith got better. The fact that Smith doesn't start should show you guys how bad he is.

Great logic. Would love to see what you do for a day job.

It is good logic. It fact that Hill has proved to be better than Smith shows how bad Smith really is.

Proved what??He looked like crap in preseason and won over a guy who hasn't played in 2 yrs and although he's been okay so far in the reg season,today does prove without the defense the 49ers will lose.Once they fall behind too far S.Hill doesn't have for example the arm strength to make plays downfield and put points on the board in a hurry.His last pass of the game explains it all.I rest my case.

Please name me a QB that has comeback from a 25 point deficit going into the 3rd quarter. The defense gave up about 200 yards in 5 minutes of football...
Originally posted by Pogity:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
*Cough*, AS @ KC 41-0
*Cough* AS @ Philly 38-24
*Cough* AS @ SD 19-48

And that was only in the first 6 weeks of 06...

So Alex Smith can lose a game but Hill can't????? I thought that when a team lost it was a team effort not just one player!! You Hill swingers and your hypocrisy

Beep. So true. Smith is horrible because of ... [insert stupid reason here] ... but JTO and Hill are awesome because they are.

Yes........so Hill lost and Smith lost. Whats the difference ? Hill has a WINNING RECORD. And HE HAS A WINNING RECORD WITH THE SAME ROSTERS THAT SMITH COULD NOT PRODUCE WITH. End of story............Alex sucks.

The story isn't over. Alex is still on the roster and he still has an untapped upside. Alex may suck, but he's certainly capable of playing better than Shaun did today. Shaun is capable of playing better than Shaun did today. Whatever gamesmanship, or competitiveness, or game-management, or "magic" Shaun Hill used to win all those games wasn't there.
ZRF is easy to piss off, just say Alex!

ZRF80 has zero credibility when it comes to assessing qb's. Remember, it was ZRF who was insistent that Dilfer was the saviour of the 07 season when Alex was hurt! He swore up and down that Dilfer would win us alot of games. We all remember how his prediction turned out. Flat out pathetic analysis by him.

As for Alex, the answer is no. It's way too soon to start pulling our starting QB. A couple more games like this and then we can start considering it.
watching peyton play makes me so jealous
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by Pogity:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
*Cough*, AS @ KC 41-0
*Cough* AS @ Philly 38-24
*Cough* AS @ SD 19-48

And that was only in the first 6 weeks of 06...

So Alex Smith can lose a game but Hill can't????? I thought that when a team lost it was a team effort not just one player!! You Hill swingers and your hypocrisy

Beep. So true. Smith is horrible because of ... [insert stupid reason here] ... but JTO and Hill are awesome because they are.

Yes........so Hill lost and Smith lost. Whats the difference ? Hill has a WINNING RECORD. And HE HAS A WINNING RECORD WITH THE SAME ROSTERS THAT SMITH COULD NOT PRODUCE WITH. End of story............Alex sucks.

The story isn't over. Alex is still on the roster and he still has an untapped upside. Alex may suck, but he's certainly capable of playing better than Shaun did today. Shaun is capable of playing better than Shaun did today. Whatever gamesmanship, or competitiveness, or game-management, or "magic" Shaun Hill used to win all those games wasn't there.
ZRF is easy to piss off, just say Alex!

ZRF80 has zero credibility when it comes to assessing qb's. Remember, it was ZRF who was insistent that Dilfer was the saviour of the 07 season when Alex was hurt! He swore up and down that Dilfer would win us alot of games. We all remember how his prediction turned out. Flat out pathetic analysis by him.

As for Alex, the answer is no. It's way too soon to start pulling our starting QB. A couple more games like this and then we can start considering it.

Same Rosters?! Seriously!? That's a JOKE.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
watching peyton play makes me so jealous


I'd take him purely as an O coordinator.
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
No. Fire Raye BEFORE the ByE

& replace him with who?

ME
  • Apone
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,739
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by Apone:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by Apone:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
I was actually hoping that Nate would play in the 4th 1/4. Forget Smith, he is nothing more then a backup.

And this is based on?? Oh I know the past 3 years he has played in which 2 of those years he was injured. Gotcha!

If you dont know what this is based on, you've been high for the past 5 years. This isnt just one independent Niner follower. The majority of NINER FANS think he's a bust........

Really, strangely 55% of that majority still want Smith to start after the bye.

those people must be high on something. i honestly want AS to start and show how terrible he is. if he isn't -- GREAT NEWS. but i just don't ever see him doing anything good until he is signed by another team

This makes no sense. Smith is "terrible" and won't do "anything good" until he signed by another team? If he is terrible, why would he do good for another team?

because Hill is such a great QB. Didn't you see the evidence of that in today's game? One thing I have learned is that Hill swingers will come up with any asinine reason for Hill and his shortcomings

first of all im not saying hill is a great QB at all. not once did i say that. im not a hill love or a smith hater, im stating the facts. Shaun Hill BEAT Alex Smith in the QB competition. Bottom line. I don't see how he would be an upgrade if he can't beat our s**tty starting QB. I want a QB that we don't have to cry and moan about all day like we do now. They both suck. Neither of them will be an answer and until we get a better QB we will always be in the "almost there" category of NFL teams.

Shaun Hill didn't beat Smith in the competition. They both played like crap in the preseason. And I felt that Smith played a little better than Hill. Singletary made it pretty clear that Smith was a mystery and he knew what he had in Hill. He went with Hill because he knew he had a game manager in him and that he wouldn't lose any games based on his mistakes The only reason why I felt Smith would have given us a better chance to get back into the game was based on this

Hill was struggling
Hill lacks arm strength to stretch the field
Smith could have been the spark needed to generate some points(even pointed out by announcers)
Smith can hand the ball off to Glenn Crappy just as well as Hill.
Smith might have seen this as his last chance and would have put everything into it to try and win back his starting spot and the respect of his coach and teammates.

He didnt?

Yes! I am with you! I am not defending Hill's s**ttiness man, and I'm in the same boat I don't know why MS didn't put in AS either, but that's why we're fans, not coaches. If Hill continues to struggle and we stink it up in Houston and Indy, then let's see where AS can take us. I just don't think after one horrible game we should call for Hill's head. Rationality must overcome emotion!

I can respect that. With two weeks to prepare, he needs to look good and win against the Texans, which shouldn't be that hard, since they (Texans) have one of the worst defenses in the league especially against the run.

What needs to be done is make a gameplan that involves mixing it up! It's unbelievable how terrible our playcalling is. How about passes on first down? Play action? I don't think there was one PA on 1st down. The one on 4th down work for a big gainer and they just dropped it from the gameplan after it makes me wanna throw up. And with two weeks to prepare and a lot of tape to watch, we better come out strong. And double team Andre Johnson -- he is capable of hurting us just as badly, if not worse, than Roddy White.

Well I can't argue against that-your right the play calling is putrid. The problem is that when you keep run on your first two plays, and don't get a first down, they know you'll be passing. I agree, there is hardly an PA plays, or lack of any screens. However, that doesn't denote the fact that Hill played poorly today. He is lucky that the Falcon's didn't pick him another 2x.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
watching peyton play makes me so jealous


I'd take him purely as an O coordinator.

i'd take him with just his throwing arm... lol
Say I agree and say "Hilll sucks"... AS lost a competition to a sucky QB, so what does that make him? This QB competition was not favored for either QB, and Hill showed the coaches that he is the better QB...

It would be better to argue about putting in Nate Davis for Hill, since he was never involved in the QB competition...

And for those that have any hope...
Tennessee is 0-4 and has not pulled Collins
Carolina is now 1-3 and Delhomme hasn't been pulled
I highly doubt Hill will be pulled even with another bad performance
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
As much as I support Alex, I still say no. Benching Hill would be stupid. Every QB has bad days, sticking with Hill would tell him that the coaches still believe in him and not hurt his confidence.

I recognize Hill's limitations, but the guy has been a gamer and done a good job over the last two years. He doesn't deserve to get pulled.
Originally posted by Apone:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by Apone:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by Apone:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
I was actually hoping that Nate would play in the 4th 1/4. Forget Smith, he is nothing more then a backup.

And this is based on?? Oh I know the past 3 years he has played in which 2 of those years he was injured. Gotcha!

If you dont know what this is based on, you've been high for the past 5 years. This isnt just one independent Niner follower. The majority of NINER FANS think he's a bust........

Really, strangely 55% of that majority still want Smith to start after the bye.

those people must be high on something. i honestly want AS to start and show how terrible he is. if he isn't -- GREAT NEWS. but i just don't ever see him doing anything good until he is signed by another team

This makes no sense. Smith is "terrible" and won't do "anything good" until he signed by another team? If he is terrible, why would he do good for another team?

because Hill is such a great QB. Didn't you see the evidence of that in today's game? One thing I have learned is that Hill swingers will come up with any asinine reason for Hill and his shortcomings

first of all im not saying hill is a great QB at all. not once did i say that. im not a hill love or a smith hater, im stating the facts. Shaun Hill BEAT Alex Smith in the QB competition. Bottom line. I don't see how he would be an upgrade if he can't beat our s**tty starting QB. I want a QB that we don't have to cry and moan about all day like we do now. They both suck. Neither of them will be an answer and until we get a better QB we will always be in the "almost there" category of NFL teams.

Shaun Hill didn't beat Smith in the competition. They both played like crap in the preseason. And I felt that Smith played a little better than Hill. Singletary made it pretty clear that Smith was a mystery and he knew what he had in Hill. He went with Hill because he knew he had a game manager in him and that he wouldn't lose any games based on his mistakes The only reason why I felt Smith would have given us a better chance to get back into the game was based on this

Hill was struggling
Hill lacks arm strength to stretch the field
Smith could have been the spark needed to generate some points(even pointed out by announcers)
Smith can hand the ball off to Glenn Crappy just as well as Hill.
Smith might have seen this as his last chance and would have put everything into it to try and win back his starting spot and the respect of his coach and teammates.

He didnt?

Yes! I am with you! I am not defending Hill's s**ttiness man, and I'm in the same boat I don't know why MS didn't put in AS either, but that's why we're fans, not coaches. If Hill continues to struggle and we stink it up in Houston and Indy, then let's see where AS can take us. I just don't think after one horrible game we should call for Hill's head. Rationality must overcome emotion!

I can respect that. With two weeks to prepare, he needs to look good and win against the Texans, which shouldn't be that hard, since they (Texans) have one of the worst defenses in the league especially against the run.

What needs to be done is make a gameplan that involves mixing it up! It's unbelievable how terrible our playcalling is. How about passes on first down? Play action? I don't think there was one PA on 1st down. The one on 4th down work for a big gainer and they just dropped it from the gameplan after it makes me wanna throw up. And with two weeks to prepare and a lot of tape to watch, we better come out strong. And double team Andre Johnson -- he is capable of hurting us just as badly, if not worse, than Roddy White.

Well I can't argue against that-your right the play calling is putrid. The problem is that when you keep run on your first two plays, and don't get a first down, they know you'll be passing. I agree, there is hardly an PA plays, or lack of any screens. However, that doesn't denote the fact that Hill played poorly today. He is lucky that the Falcon's didn't pick him another 2x.

let's just agree the entire team played poorly. it was a disgusting performance starting from snap 1.
what this team is built on is our defense to be clutch EVERY game. if our defense allows the opponent offense to score often, then we are done for the game. Hill is not a gamer qb that we can put on his shoulders and lead us to 3-4 td's a game when we need it. he throws deep balls that sail and come down like punts. He had guts & heart but not the athleticism to play the position.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home