LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

start alex smith after the bye?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

start alex smith after the bye?

Originally posted by 190836:
Fire Sing and Raye. Sing brought this whole run first mentality and Raye over. We will never win this way.

Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Just because Hill sucks, doesn't mean Smith got better. The fact that Smith doesn't start should show you guys how bad he is.

Great logic. Would love to see what you do for a day job.

It is good logic. It fact that Hill has proved to be better than Smith shows how bad Smith really is.
  • roq54
  • Info N/A
It's the oline that's the problem, not Shawn .
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by Apone:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
I was actually hoping that Nate would play in the 4th 1/4. Forget Smith, he is nothing more then a backup.

And this is based on?? Oh I know the past 3 years he has played in which 2 of those years he was injured. Gotcha!

If you dont know what this is based on, you've been high for the past 5 years. This isnt just one independent Niner follower. The majority of NINER FANS think he's a bust........

Really, strangely 55% of that majority still want Smith to start after the bye.

those people must be high on something. i honestly want AS to start and show how terrible he is. if he isn't -- GREAT NEWS. but i just don't ever see him doing anything good until he is signed by another team

This makes no sense. Smith is "terrible" and won't do "anything good" until he signed by another team? If he is terrible, why would he do good for another team?

because Hill is such a great QB. Didn't you see the evidence of that in today's game? One thing I have learned is that Hill swingers will come up with any asinine reason for Hill and his shortcomings

first of all im not saying hill is a great QB at all. not once did i say that. im not a hill love or a smith hater, im stating the facts. Shaun Hill BEAT Alex Smith in the QB competition. Bottom line. I don't see how he would be an upgrade if he can't beat our s**tty starting QB. I want a QB that we don't have to cry and moan about all day like we do now. They both suck. Neither of them will be an answer and until we get a better QB we will always be in the "almost there" category of NFL teams.

You think he convincingly beat Smith, who was nearly out for two years? They both looked average in preseason, not special nothing putrid. It wasn't like Hill looked so good that he blew Smith out of the water, so naturally by default Hill earned the shot because of what he did last year.
Just because Hill sucks, doesn't mean Smith got better. The fact that Smith doesn't start should show you guys how bad he is.

This makes sense to me. Thank you. My mind was starting to drift into the "Alex Smith Zone". Thanks for pulling me out
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
I was actually hoping that Nate would play in the 4th 1/4. Forget Smith, he is nothing more then a backup.

And this is based on?? Oh I know the past 3 years he has played in which 2 of those years he was injured. Gotcha!

If you dont know what this is based on, you've been high for the past 5 years. This isnt just one independent Niner follower. The majority of NINER FANS think he's a bust........

those people must be high on something. i honestly want AS to start and show how terrible he is. if he isn't -- GREAT NEWS. but i just don't ever see him doing anything good until he is signed by another team

This makes no sense. Smith is "terrible" and won't do "anything good" until he signed by another team? If he is terrible, why would he do good for another team?

all im saying is sometimes people need a change of scenery -- ala Drew Brees. his potential, i feel, will just never be fulfilled as a 49er unless shaun hill sucks it up even more. obviously i don't have professional proof or anything backing up this statement, but if shaun hill BEAT smith in the offseason, i just don't see there being an upgrade with him under center. i'm just saying if he started and sucked, would you be surprised?

Sucks it up even more?!? How much more do you want Hill to suck, before you realize that he sucks? How many drives did he sustain over 3 today? That is all I need to know to understand that he sucks. Great guy? Check. Great Backup? Check. Otherwise he's almost completely useless.

I think that he should get one more shot but if we are to have a winning record, that's as far as it goes the way he's played over the last 5 games. Wins are great. But if you can't sustain a drive at least half of the attempts the Opposing D will have you figured out and you aren't going to sustain one more for the rest of the season. That is straight up fact.

~Ceadder

im not defending hill man he is NOT the answer. but if Alex cannot beat him in the QB competition you think he suddenly will make the o-line play better and get the receivers separation? this whole s**tty mess that happened today cannot possibly fall squarely on hill's shoulder. Hill sucks. Smith sucks. We need a franchise QB.

because Hill is such a great QB. Didn't you see the evidence of that in today's game? One thing I have learned is that Hill swingers will come up with any asinine reason for Hill and his shortcomings

first of all im not saying hill is a great QB at all. not once did i say that. im not a hill love or a smith hater, im stating the facts. Shaun Hill BEAT Alex Smith in the QB competition. Bottom line. I don't see how he would be an upgrade if he can't beat our s**tty starting QB. I want a QB that we don't have to cry and moan about all day like we do now. They both suck. Neither of them will be an answer and until we get a better QB we will always be in the "almost there" category of NFL teams.

Shaun Hill didn't beat Smith in the competition. They both played like crap in the preseason. And I felt that Smith played a little better than Hill. Singletary made it pretty clear that Smith was a mystery and he knew what he had in Hill. He went with Hill because he knew he had a game manager in him and that he wouldn't lose any games based on his mistakes The only reason why I felt Smith would have given us a better chance to get back into the game was based on this

Hill was struggling
Hill lacks arm strength to stretch the field
Smith could have been the spark needed to generate some points(even pointed out by announcers)
Smith can hand the ball off to Glenn Crappy just as well as Hill.
Smith might have seen this as his last chance and would have put everything into it to try and win back his starting spot and the respect of his coach and teammates.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by jones49:

Great logic. Would love to see what you do for a day job.

It is good logic. It fact that Hill has proved to be better than Smith shows how bad Smith really is.

If Smith is really this bad, GM and Coach should be fired for keeping him on the team.

Nate Davis, come on down!

You think he convincingly beat Smith, who was nearly out for two years? They both looked average in preseason, not special nothing putrid. It wasn't like Hill looked so good that he blew Smith out of the water, so naturally by default Hill earned the shot because of what he did last year.

Did I say he beat him by a mile? The point is, he won the competition and he sucks. Which means AS sucks at least a little bit more. I am all for AS doing good because Hill is not a long-term solution by any sorts, but I just don't think Hill should get swiped after one s**tty loss.

Did I say he beat him by a mile? The point is, he won the competition and he sucks. Which means AS sucks at least a little bit more. I am all for AS doing good because Hill is not a long-term solution by any sorts, but I just don't think Hill should get swiped after one s**tty loss.

Plus...

I wonder if Tim Rattay is available?

Shaun Hill didn't beat Smith in the competition. They both played like crap in the preseason. And I felt that Smith played a little better than Hill. Singletary made it pretty clear that Smith was a mystery and he knew what he had in Hill. He went with Hill because he knew he had a game manager in him and that he wouldn't lose any games based on his mistakes The only reason why I felt Smith would have given us a better chance to get back into the game was based on this

Hill was struggling
Smith could have been the spark needed to generate some points(even pointed out by announcers)
Smith might have seen this as his last chance and would have put everything into it to try and win back his starting spot and the respect of his coach and teammates.

He didnt?

Yes! I am with you! I am not defending Hill's s**ttiness man, and I'm in the same boat I don't know why MS didn't put in AS either, but that's why we're fans, not coaches. If Hill continues to struggle and we stink it up in Houston and Indy, then let's see where AS can take us. I just don't think after one horrible game we should call for Hill's head. Rationality must overcome emotion!

[ Edited by chico49erfan on Oct 11, 2009 at 18:47:17 ]

Hill was struggling

He didnt?

Yes! I am with you! I am not defending Hill's s**ttiness man, and I'm in the same boat I don't know why MS didn't put in AS either, but that's why we're fans, not coaches. If Hill continues to struggle and we stink it up in Houston and Indy, then let's see where AS can take us. I just don't think after one horrible game we should call for Hill's head. Rationality must overcome emotion!

Fair enough.
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SJniner7:
*Cough*, AS @ KC 41-0
*Cough* AS @ Philly 38-24
*Cough* AS @ SD 19-48

And that was only in the first 6 weeks of 06...

So Alex Smith can lose a game but Hill can't????? I thought that when a team lost it was a team effort not just one player!! You Hill swingers and your hypocrisy

Beep. So true. Smith is horrible because of ... [insert stupid reason here] ... but JTO and Hill are awesome because they are.

Yes........so Hill lost and Smith lost. Whats the difference ? Hill has a WINNING RECORD. And HE HAS A WINNING RECORD WITH THE SAME ROSTERS THAT SMITH COULD NOT PRODUCE WITH. End of story............Alex sucks.

The story isn't over. Alex is still on the roster and he still has an untapped upside. Alex may suck, but he's certainly capable of playing better than Shaun did today. Shaun is capable of playing better than Shaun did today. Whatever gamesmanship, or competitiveness, or game-management, or "magic" Shaun Hill used to win all those games wasn't there.
  • Apone
  • Veteran

Hill was struggling

He didnt?

I can respect that. With two weeks to prepare, he needs to look good and win against the Texans, which shouldn't be that hard, since they (Texans) have one of the worst defenses in the league especially against the run.
Share 49ersWebzone