LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

start alex smith after the bye?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

start alex smith after the bye?

Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
As much as I support Alex, I still say no. Benching Hill would be stupid. Every QB has bad days, sticking with Hill would tell him that the coaches still believe in him and not hurt his confidence.

I recognize Hill's limitations, but the guy has been a gamer and done a good job over the last two years. He doesn't deserve to get pulled.

i agree u shouldnt bench a player based on 1 game but in a run first offense its always better to have a good athletic guy who can throw the ball deep and alex has improved a lot since his arm is better
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Just because Hill sucks, doesn't mean Smith got better. The fact that Smith doesn't start should show you guys how bad he is.

Great logic. Would love to see what you do for a day job.

I'll make it simpler.

Hill is better than Smith.
Hill sucks, so Smith sucks more.

Why do you want to see me work? That's a tiny bit creepy.
I wouldn't bench Hill. But I would have loved to see what Smith would or wouldn't do in the second half of that game. It was clear Hill was struggling.
The reason why Hill was not pulled in this game is the same reason that he was not taken out of the Vikings game at the end to throw the hail mary. to quote singletary " Hill is our starting QB". It seems to me he just is not going to play musical QB's. Hill is going to remain the started until he belives he cannot win with Hill.

The problem is the o-line and their inability to give hill time to throw the ball. Theproblem is the area that we are having problem at is at both Guards.

Plain and simple though, the 49ers did not come to play today. I don't know if the Crabtree fiasco actually did turn out to be a distraction but they got whooped by a Falcon team that had 2 WEEKS to prepare for us as they had a bye. That said, we have 2 weeks to prepare for Houston and get Crabtree up to speed for his package of plays.
Just because Hill sucks, doesn't mean Smith got better. The fact that Smith doesn't start should show you guys how bad he is.

I'll make it simpler.

smith is not that bad he was doing good b4 that fatass jumped on his shoulder despite the fact we had a worse reciving corps and o line and not to mention unlike now the D was not carrying the team ( no willis clements justin smith etc.)
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
As much as I support Alex, I still say no. Benching Hill would be stupid. Every QB has bad days, sticking with Hill would tell him that the coaches still believe in him and not hurt his confidence.

I recognize Hill's limitations, but the guy has been a gamer and done a good job over the last two years. He doesn't deserve to get pulled.

i agree u shouldnt bench a player based on 1 game but in a run first offense its always better to have a good athletic guy who can throw the ball deep and alex has improved a lot since his arm is better

Can you bench him after 5 games?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

I'll make it simpler.

smith is not that bad he was doing good b4 that fatass jumped on his shoulder despite the fact we had a worse reciving corps and o line and not to mention unlike now the D was not carrying the team ( no willis clements justin smith etc.)

Good? Not really. Better than his completely awful start? Sure.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Originally posted by backontop:
I wouldn't bench Hill. But I would have loved to see what Smith would or wouldn't do in the second half of that game. It was clear Hill was struggling.

I was thinking thatt too. Hill would still be the starter for Houston, but at 35-10, the game was over, therefore giving some reps to the backups may have been a good thing. It addition it would let Hill clear his head, although that may do more harm than good now that I think about it, possibility hurting Hill's confidence...
Wow no patience at all.
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
All i know is a quarterback with our first pick in the draft this year is looking quite delicious...

Bradford or McCoy? Accurate as balls, great measureables, Hell yes i love them both

Tebow in the 2nd or 3rd? Has a better arm than hill, more athletic, has the best intangibles at the position in the draft, and a Singletary kinda guy...not to mention he has exactly the same bad rap on him Young had coming out of BYU..

Not sold on McCoy.

honestly every time i see Shaun Hill throw a football that has zero spiral or zip on it, i get really jealous whenever i see these beautiful throws, that are actually just regular throws that an NFL quarterback should make...ala the Nate Davis factor, he throws balls the way any NFL quarterback should throw them, we just arent used to that...

I know it is way to early to get too excited by Davis; but he looked like an NFL QB when he got to play. He showed a strong arm and great instincts. I like the think the quarterback of the future is already on the roster. Time will tell.

Me too, but people dont want to hear that. We need a quarterback that can be mobile if he has to. To make tight throws since our WRs are slow and learn to read defenses by being on the field. This ONE bad game was not a fluke. It IS how Shaun Hill plays. Give him time to throw, he'll make a play here and there. Put pressure on him and he'll either fold like an envelope or throw the ball at the WRs feet before the WR can even make a move.

Damn, what was Hill throwing to? We didnt even look like a team with his decisions

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Starting Smith after one bad game by Hill would be stupid. If Hill has multiple bad games then I can see that happening. But right now its not the time. Also how would starting Smith make the team any better, last time I checked that dude sucks worse then Hill.
Originally posted by E-49er:
The reason why Hill was not pulled in this game is the same reason that he was not taken out of the Vikings game at the end to throw the hail mary. to quote singletary " Hill is our starting QB". It seems to me he just is not going to play musical QB's. Hill is going to remain the started until he belives he cannot win with Hill.

The problem is the o-line and their inability to give hill time to throw the ball. Theproblem is the area that we are having problem at is at both Guards.

Plain and simple though, the 49ers did not come to play today. I don't know if the Crabtree fiasco actually did turn out to be a distraction but they got whooped by a Falcon team that had 2 WEEKS to prepare for us as they had a bye. That said, we have 2 weeks to prepare for Houston and get Crabtree up to speed for his package of plays.

In the Zone, excuses for QBs are not allowed. My main problem with Hill is that he doesn't have the arm to throw the ball more than 20 yards with any kind of consistency. Sooner or later that will kill you.
Hell yeah start Smith after the bye. Hill hasn't played well win or lose, and we haven't won games because of him. He has a winning record technically, but that's because we've beat teams we should beat but he can't get this team to win vs a team that's as good or better than us. He's not a play making QB. I'm sorry but one TD pass to a WR 5 games into the season isn't very good, and he has thrown INTs too. He's a 2nd string game manager, teams are figuring him out and he can't make them pay by puting the ball where only the WR can get it or throwing the long ball when he was a 1 on 1 match up down field and the WR is behind the corner. Just look at when Morgan told Sing "that pass came down like a punt". I'm sorry but I don't buy that these recievers are that bad. Morgan was good last year, and when he's gotten open he hasn't gotten the ball. When he gets the ball he usually makes plays, just look at the 61 yard reception he had today. We need a QB to get the ball to the recievers down field, open s**t up, and that's how you open stuff up for your running game. We don't use as much play action because Shaun can't put the ball down the field. He makes his living dumping the ball off to the RB or TE but now that teams figure him out they just leave the recievers open, and blitz, and they make sure they take his dump off away and he can't do anything. Sorry but our recievers have been getting better but he can't make all the throws he needs to.

To everyone saying stuff like "NO, I would rather put in Nate Davis than crappy Smith" guess what, Nate ISN'T READY. He's a dyslexic rookie who is still learning the playbook and doesn't have chemistry with the first team. Atleast Smith got some snaps with them in PS. You think Smith sucks, well Hill hasn't done anything Smith couldn't have done, and I don't want to ruin Davis, so what's the risk in puting Smith in? Wake up and realize we aren't going to win if Hill keeps playing this badly. It's not that he's just playing badly, it's that he's a pretty limited QB who can't get the ball to the recievers because his arm doesn't let him and it's killing our ability to get drives going and it's killing the TOP and the defense is getting exhausted. Is everything Hill's fault? No. But we can't beat teams that are as talented as we are or better because he holds us back.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by backontop:

I was thinking thatt too. Hill would still be the starter for Houston, but at 35-10, the game was over, therefore giving some reps to the backups may have been a good thing. It addition it would let Hill clear his head, although that may do more harm than good now that I think about it, possibility hurting Hill's confidence...

It would also give Hill a jolt of reality that he can lose his starting job at any moment. Sometimes something like that will help. Just look at what happened with Garcia
Originally posted by susweel:
Starting Smith after one bad game by Hill would be stupid. If Hill has multiple bad games then I can see that happening. But right now its not the time. Also how would starting Smith make the team any better, last time I checked that dude sucks worse then Hill.

Was that in 2007 when Smith led a great drive to beat Arizona?
Share 49ersWebzone