There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Offensive post-game analysis (Week 5)

Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by alex2125:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Amazing the D gives up 45 points, and everyone is here bashing on Who? Only Hill... Did anyone notice our Oline giving up pressures and sacks to the second stringers?

That's what I'm saying. The D struggled today, the Oline struggled, and we were completely uncompetitive. The QB is the one person responsible to not go 3 and out.

We need to hold Hill accountable just as critical we were/are with Alex Smith. A Good QB would have found a way to be competitive, get 1st downs, keep drives alive, not throw balls into the ground.

Hill is accountable as well as many or ALL of his throws were off mark, but for the offensive thread to be 6-7 pages already, while the dfensive thread is 2 pages for giving up 45 points? It seems a little silly...

It's because the O has been an issue all year.
Originally posted by NinerGold39:
Yep, it was offensive all right. Can't wait for Frank's return.

Gore or Coffee, Hill or Smith, they'd all be better behind an OL that could actually block. Staley had a great game, Heitmann as well. That's only 2/5. Changes need to be made.
I miss Harvey Dahl.
Jimmy Raye is one of the worst Cordinators in the NFL, no wonder why he has not been a cordinator for a long time. He is awful and has the most perdictible game calling plan I have ever seen. Jim Hostler comes to mind when I think of Raye. Yes we have a winning record but other than Week 2 we have not ran the ball for sh$#t and still the b*****d calls run after run. I am so frustrated at Jimmy Raye hopefully Norv gets fired in San Diego and comes back. WE NEED A REAL CORDINATOR NOT A GRANDFATHER CALLING PLAYS FROM THE 70's.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Gore or Coffee, Hill or Smith, they'd all be better behind an OL that could actually block. Staley had a great game, Heitmann as well. That's only 2/5. Changes need to be made.

True. Yet, if Smith was out there 90% of the people saying it is a team loss would say it's his fault.
Originally posted by taney71:

That statement/way of thinking makes no sense.
Why doesn't it? Why cause even more confusion when we already know what the real problem is? *cough o-line* *cough* play calling*cough. Hill won't lose the game, and he might provide one or two clutch drives. Alex has never done better, so why jeopardize the season experimenting? We're still 3-2 (and were two seconds away from being 4-1), and still are division leaders. We had the qb competition already. The team needs to work on gelling together at this point.

[ Edited by blunt_probe on Oct 11, 2009 at 17:25:17 ]
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A
There is no silver bullet folks. All facets of our offense struggled today. When our guys actually did get opend, Shaun couldn't hit them. On the few plays the OL opened up a hole, Coffee couldn't find it.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Bruce should have retired

Man is he washed up. He is really hurting this offense, he can't get seperation and he is dropping passes.
Negatives:

Walker on special teams - Both the penalty and the fumbling. I except Rossum to return.
Hill - Played reckless, just flat out bad. Couldn't hit anyone today.
Nedney - Missed a kick. That's his job. Make kicks. If we don't get pushed out of FG range and Nedney makes all kicks, we could've led 16-14 at one point of the game.
Secondary - Both safeties were consistently burnt. Clements and others foolishly gambled on passes they shouldn't have, and Bly's idiocy was beyond absolutely unacceptable.
Entire Offensive Line - They let Hill get sacked and knocked out of FG range, could've made the game 13-14.

(Basically our entire defense looked slow to get set, unprepared, and just dragging all game..)

Positives:

Vernon Davis - only real receiver.
Eric Heitmann
Moran Norris
Patrick Willis - solid, didn't miss tackles.
Justin Smith - gave his all, like always.

Will we straighten up enough to stop Andre Johnson in week 7? Or Steve Slaton?

Will Gore and Crabtree help us enough to do anything? Will Hill play ANY better?

Way.. way too many questions for a team who thinks they could be playoff bound. We'd have to have our division handing us the title by their own losses, because I don't feel our schedule will allow us to win more than 9 with this team.

Remaining wins I'm guessing will be against:

@Texans
vs. Bears
vs. Jaguars
vs. Cardinals
vs. Lions
@ Rams

True. Yet, if Smith was out there 90% of the people saying it is a team loss would say it's his fault.

exactly
Originally posted by alex2125:

exactly

Not me at least. I've always pointed the finger at the o-line, and it's sad that this problem goes unfixed every year.

Chilo and Bass are still NOT GETTING IT DONE! How can we shake up this O-LINE? Or should we?
Id say Tony Pashos in for Gaurd he played fo J-ville at that position
Hill isn't good at any 1 particular thing, he is a glorified #2 QB. He can keep us from losing when we are ahead but he doesn't have the intangibles to come from behind and beat a team. The Hill Starship just got shot down!!!
Originally posted by blunt_probe:

That statement/way of thinking makes no sense.
Why doesn't it? Why cause even more confusion when we already know what the real problem is? *cough o-line* *cough* play calling*cough. Hill won't lose the game, and he might provide one or two clutch drives. Alex has never done better, so why jeopardize the season experimenting? We're still 3-2 (and were two seconds away from being 4-1), and still are division leaders. We had the qb competition already. The team needs to work on gelling together at this point.

Because Mike Singletary wants Winners! We need to decide what we are building here. A competitive team or a championship team.

And I am not suggesting benching Hill right now. But what are we doing with our QB situation? Are we developing Alex Smith for the future? Nate Davis? or aiming for the 2010 Draft?

I can live with just getting by with Shaun Hill right now and winning some games, maybe the division (because its a poor one). As long as we are actively doing something to develop someone to replace Shaun Hill in the near future.