There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers vs. Crabtree (Contract - Who Won?)

49ers vs. Crabtree (Contract - Who Won?)

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by olapac:
PFT Reporting 6 yrs, 32 million, with 17 million guaranteed...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/07/crabtrees-base-deal-six-years-32-million/

Some posters with big mouths need to man up and learn to savor the taste of crow.

Yeah, so much for the "genius" of Eugene Parker, eh?

Quote:
The source tells us that, in his first four seasons (including 2009), Crabtree must either qualify for two Pro Bowls, or he must qualify for one Pro Bowl in one year and he must participate in 80 percent of the offensive snaps in a separate year in which the team makes the playoffs.

In other words, if in 2010 he qualifies for the Pro Bowl and the team makes the playoffs and he participates in 80 percent of the snaps, he'll still need to make it to the Pro Bowl or achieve the 80-percent/playoffs in another season.

Since the chances of Crabtree making the Pro Bowl or participating in 80 percent of the offensive snaps this year is roughly zero percent, he'll have three years to get it done.

Yes, kudos to him.

Its a unique contract, a "think outside the box/slot" deal that could only have been generated by a long term holdout and the use of every bit of leverage that Parker could find/create/imagine. Sure.

Or it could have been done two months ago.

Either way.

Personally, I think we should all thank not M.C. Hammer, who just happened to be there, but the great Jim Brown, who told Crabtree last week to forget about the money and get his butt into camp. When Jim Brown speaks, people listen. Or else.
If the details of the deal are true, then Parker failed miserably. This holdout was a complete waste of time for everyone and right now I am blaming Parker for this mess given his history of holdouts. I think Crabtree couldnt take not being on the field any longer, and decided to take the deal.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/07/crabtrees-base-deal-six-years-32-million/

If that's true, the Niners won in the respect that he stayed within the slot. Those incentives better be relatively easy to achieve, or else Parker failed miserably.

I still think what people pay for draft picks is insane, but at least we didn't compound the insanity.
From what Mike Florio is reporting, the incentives will be very difficult to achieve. He will have to turn into a Pro Bowl receiver next year and the 49ers get to the Super Bowl in order to make incentive money. In a conference with Fitzgerald, Steve Smith x2, etc., he will have to be very good indeed.

He will get about the same guaranteed money he would have received in the original offer but will now be obligated to the 49ers for six years. In short, the 49ers "won" in the sense they are a very good 3-1 team and did not have to break the slot (not that that is all that important, IMO) to get him signed. At this point, having him on board is a bonus...and they will need him in the second half of the season.

[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 7, 2009 at 12:45:43 ]
Originally posted by backontop:

Some posters with big mouths need to man up and learn to savor the taste of crow.

Yeah, so much for the "genius" of Eugene Parker, eh?

Quote:
The source tells us that, in his first four seasons (including 2009), Crabtree must either qualify for two Pro Bowls, or he must qualify for one Pro Bowl in one year and he must participate in 80 percent of the offensive snaps in a separate year in which the team makes the playoffs.

In other words, if in 2010 he qualifies for the Pro Bowl and the team makes the playoffs and he participates in 80 percent of the snaps, he'll still need to make it to the Pro Bowl or achieve the 80-percent/playoffs in another season.

Since the chances of Crabtree making the Pro Bowl or participating in 80 percent of the offensive snaps this year is roughly zero percent, he'll have three years to get it done.

I doubt that poster(s) is man enough to be honest.

I would wait and see what the ACTUAL numbers are when the contract is stated. Not that PFT is necessarily wrong, but I want to know specifics.
the fans did, end this thread
Originally posted by dj43:

If that's true, the Niners won in the respect that he stayed within the slot. Those incentives better be relatively easy to achieve, or else Parker failed miserably.

I still think what people pay for draft picks is insane, but at least we didn't compound the insanity.
From what Mike Florio is reporting, the incentives will be very difficult to achieve. He will have to turn into a Pro Bowl receiver next year and the 49ers get to the Super Bowl in order to make incentive money. In a conference with Fitzgerald, Steve Smith x2, etc., he will have to be very good indeed.

He will get about the same guaranteed money he would have received in the original offer but will now be obligated to the 49ers for six years. In short, the 49ers "won" in the sense they are a very good 3-1 team and did not have to break the slot (not that that is all that important, IMO) to get him signed. At this point, having him on board is a bonus...and they will need him in the second half of the season.

I think it said he has to be a pro bowler in at least 2 year of the first four. So if he is --- great he deserves it.
The poster whom many of you are talking about will post on this thread and eat his crow.

"I'm just saying, I'm just saying!"
While today is a victory for the fans, I don't see any other winners.

Crabtree stunted his growth as an NFL player, and the 49ers have been without their top pick until the fifth week of the season... This has been a complete waste of everyone's time.
The Niners Front office won. It's Parker's turn to be a b***h.

BIAAAATCHHHHHH!

Thank God we didn't raise the guaranteed money.

6 yrs is impressive for our side, even with incentives.

We definitely "won" on this one. But actually, nobody really "won."

Parker/Crabtree lost the moment they asked for a contract straight from Alice In Wonderland.

Unless the 49ers were complete idiots, there was no way Parker could have came out a "winner" on this one.

Happy that he is signed.
Both sides are winners.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by dj43:

I think it said he has to be a pro bowler in at least 2 year of the first four. So if he is --- great he deserves it.
I would call this a "reality check" contract.

As you said, if he gets the money, he earned it...and that is what is important. Huge money for players who have done nothing yet to earn it is a joke, and unfair to established stars.
Originally posted by 49erFan:
While today is a victory for the fans, I don't see any other winners.

Crabtree stunted his growth as an NFL player, and the 49ers have been without their top pick until the fifth week of the season... This has been a complete waste of everyone's time.

The moment I heard about Parkers original contract demands I KNEW someone was going to get burnt with this one. Good thing it was not us.

The next time Parker demands an absurd contract, the team sitting across the table will just laugh in his face, knowing he is full of it.

Furthermore, teams have another reason to think twice about drafting a player represented by Parker.

[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 7, 2009 at 12:59:03 ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Thank God we didn't raise the guaranteed money.

6 yrs is impressive for our side, even with incentives.

We definitely "won" on this one. But actually, nobody really "won."

Parker/Crabtree lost the moment they asked for a contract straight from Alice In Wonderland.

Unless the 49ers were complete idiots, there was no way Parker could have came out a "winner" on this one.

Happy that he is signed.

Look at it from this perspective:

If Crabs really is the next "big thing" to don a Niner uniform -- the best receiver to grab a football since Jerry Rice -- look for the Niners to make him happy.

In other words, if he becomes the next superstar, you'll see the Niners start paying him what he's worth after three or four years. That's what you do for your superstars. We did it for Jerry. We did it for Joe. We did it for Steve.

We'll do it for Michael -- provided he hits that level.
Financially the 9ers "won", but in the short run both sides lost.

I am very excited about the 6 year contract though. I wonder if they said the only way he would get the 200,00 back per missed game is if he added another year?

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 7, 2009 at 13:07:11 ]