There are 188 users in the forums

What we learned from the Vikings game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Chief:
That Shaun Hill the best QB on this team and a solid starter in the NFL.

People are giving Hill way to much credit. He is a decent NFL QB that would be the #2 on most other teams. As soon as the pocket starts to collapse he is finished, he cant scramble due to his lack of mobility.
Originally posted by scopur49er:
Ok so we lost to the Vikes at home. Time to move on and learn from our mistakes.
IMO, the Favre miracle pass had nothing to do with it but rather this key statistic did.

Third down conversions:
Niners, 0-11
Vikings, 10-20

If you all recall, one of our biggest problems the last couple years is that our defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs. Allowing 50% conversion on third downs pretty much sealed the defenses fate if you ask me. Our guys are tougher this year and they can hang with any offense in the league but not if you keep letting them move the ball down field and control the clock. Preventing 3rd down conversions is a crucial part of that.

On the flip side, we didn't convert ANY third downs which, quite honestly, is just pathetic. The root of this became apparent during the game. At one point towards the end of the game they flashed a stat which showed our average yards needed on third down and it was (if I recall) around 9.2 yards. It should be no wonder we had such a hard time converting.
So why were we so often in 3rd and long situations?
Well if you watched the game you know exactly why. Jimmy Raye was challenging the Vikings d-line by trying to push the ball up the gut and let's be honest, we lost that battle far more often than we won it. When you run up the middle on first down and fail, then run up the middle on second down and fail hey guess what? It's 3rd and long now. This happened quite often, far more often than it should have.

Let's be honest. Jimmy Raye is no offensive genius. If you know you're going up against a defense that tops the league in run stoppage, why do you continue to try and run up the gut long after it's already proven to be ineffective? We won't win games with offensive playcalling like that and it shows that Jimmy Raye either:
a) Failed to gameplan properly against the Vikes
or
b) Stubbornly refused to adapt the gameplan when it was evident things weren't working.

I think it's time Sing pulled his pants down and had a chat with our OC about his offensive strategy.

See bold. And I don't want to hear this "he doesn't trust Shaun Hill" crap. He TRUSTED Shaun Hill to convert on 4th and 1 by calling a 25 yard pass play to Morgan. If Sing/Raye truly felt that keeping the ball on the ground was our best bet, then why deviate there?

Answer: Because as much as I like Sing, he's full of it here.

He knew damn well like anyone else with two eyes that we were getting stuffed on nearly every run play. Why he thought the result would be different towards the end is beyond me. On those last two series, he just chumped out. At the worst possible time they caved into their fear of Hill POSSIBLY throwing pick, or fumbling, and it cost us the game.

End of story.

The thing that hurts my head the most is for all the "Hill just isn't that good" excuses on why we won't open the playbook, no one is LOOKING AT THE NUMBERS. So far this season, we are by far a better passing team than a running team. Hill is currently ranked 11th in the league in completion percentage.

That's AHEAD of such names as Romo, Warner, Roethlisberger, Brady, Rivers etc etc:

[url=null]null[/url] LINKAGE

Coming into the game, Shaun Hill I believe was around 3rd in the league in 3rd down completions (heard one of the sportscasters say it). He has SHOWN the first two games that we don't have to just pass when necessary. He has proved he's more than capable than shouldering the load.

All we needed was ONE first down. Just ONE. Yet we ran plays directly into the strength of the defense. Only a fool would try to argue that making sense. We gave the Vikings a gift chance they should have never had. And they made fools of us for it.

I sincerely hope that beyond the feel good speeches Sing & Raye realizes this, and will correct it.
[ Edited by baltien on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:03 AM ]
We learned that the only thing Prevent Defence prevents is a win...
Originally posted by jreff22:

People are giving Hill way to much credit. He is a decent NFL QB that would be the #2 on most other teams. As soon as the pocket starts to collapse he is finished, he cant scramble due to his lack of mobility.

Maybe you´re right. Still, something happens with him on the 4th quarter because he turns into Joe Montana.

Maybe we should let another QB play in the 3rd quarter.
Originally posted by Joecool:
What we learned?

Mark Roman whored himself out to 31 teams and no one wanted him. He hasn't done anything for us besides being in plays made by the OTHER team.

Why in the hell is he even getting THIS much playing time? Seriously, I have no problem with our run run run in the last drive as it drained the teams timeouts. I don't have a problem with prevent because there was VERY little time remaining and the last thing we want is to blitz, get it picked up and allow a 1-on-1 jump ball.

What I DO have a problem is with some idiot who is in a prevent defense for a reason relaxes for a split second and says "Oh s**t!" as soon as Favre rifles a ball from 35 yards back only to misjudge the ball as he so often does and allow a toe tipper catch. Man, Roman has NO game awareness. I have seen Clements catch a jumping receiver and throw him out of bounds. Roman is no Clements and would have never though of trying to push the receiver out of bounds or even making contact with the receiver as soon as the ball got there.

There is a reason why Roman was passed up by 31 teams. Why the hell does he keep playing for ours AND getting time on the field?

Maybe he thought he could intercept the ball
What we learned?

Mark Roman whored himself out to 31 teams and no one wanted him. He hasn't done anything for us besides being in plays made by the OTHER team.

Why in the hell is he even getting THIS much playing time? Seriously, I have no problem with our run run run in the last drive as it drained the teams timeouts. I don't have a problem with prevent because there was VERY little time remaining and the last thing we want is to blitz, get it picked up and allow a 1-on-1 jump ball.

What I DO have a problem is with some idiot who is in a prevent defense for a reason relaxes for a split second and says "Oh s**t!" as soon as Favre rifles a ball from 35 yards back only to misjudge the ball as he so often does and allow a toe tipper catch. Man, Roman has NO game awareness. I have seen Clements catch a jumping receiver and throw him out of bounds. Roman is no Clements and would have never though of trying to push the receiver out of bounds or even making contact with the receiver as soon as the ball got there.

There is a reason why Roman was passed up by 31 teams. Why the hell does he keep playing for ours AND getting time on the field?

To me that was the whole game right there.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:

Maybe you´re right. Still, something happens with him on the 4th quarter because he turns into Joe Montana.

Maybe we should let another QB play in the 3rd quarter.

His 3rd quarter play is awful but he is decently clutch in the 4th. Reason being the defense is tired and usually isn't bringing the same heat they have been the rest of the game. Our offense can pass block better in the 4th which gives Hill 3-4 seconds where he doesn't have to try and move.
We can win without Gore. We didn't but it was close

Shaun Hill isn't too bad of a QB. He's not Peyton or Brees but he isn't Jamarcus or Cleveland's qb.

Our o-line isn't as good as I thought. But then again what can you expect when 5 olinemen go agaisnt 8 guys in the box.

Raye needs to be more aggressive. I don't mind him sticking with the run but come on lets get a little more aggressive.

VD has stepped up his game.

The officials suck. If they called taunting on Spencer then Jared Allen would should have cost his team 100 yards... in the 1st quarter.

Ray McDonald is having a great year.
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
What we learned?

Agreed. Before I even saw the replay I knew it was Roman. Although that was a great sack he had early.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
We learned that Niner talk will be full of idiotic posts that ignore realities such as shortage of talent on the offense to run any other kind of offense and call for some coaches head for it.

Oh wait, we already knew that.

We learned that Niner talk will be full of idiotic posts about how bad things are, while ignoring the facts that the Niner's are winning 2 out of three games which equates to 10.6 wins over the season.

Oh wait, we already knew Niner talk would do that too.

We learned that we should fire Nowin!

Oh wait, we already did that.

I have it! We learned that the Niner's should institute a "last play of the game drill" at least once a week, whereby the defense practices defending the end zone and the sidelines instead of the middle of the field.

Oh wait, that would be too easy and we wouldn't have enough fodder for Niner Talk to explode with idiotic posts calling for some coaches head.

Mark Roman still sucks.
What we learned is that it seriously took a "Favre-esk" moment to beat us.

I love my team's heart and will. With this limited talented team, we still had until the end.

Can we beat the Rams? Oh, I know so!

Can we beat the Falcons at home? Yes, given the Minny game as a barometer.

We have a team to be proud of again!

Go 49ers!
  • SerJerryofRice
  • Info N/A
That we can play with and beat an elite NFL team (by elite I mean possible division winner and bandwagon pick to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl and maybe even win it). EVEN when our offense is absolutely non-existent for an entire quarter and without our star running back.

Just like Singletary said to the players, as fans we have no reason to hang our heads for this loss. We should look at it like the Giants' regular season game against an undefeated Patriots team. It should give us confidence we can beat them the next time.

I think Coughlin's quote is appropriate. "We stood up to them once, hit 'em in the mouth, and made them beat us."

Of course this means nothing if the Vikings implode like the Cowpukes this season, but I'd still rather lose a game 27-24 than get blown out 31-10.

(I also agree with the posters who said it confirmed that it was possible to hate that assf**k Farve even more.)
  • SerJerryofRice
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by miked1978:
The officials suck. If they called taunting on Spencer then Jared Allen would should have cost his team 100 yards... in the 1st quarter.

Oops, forgot this one lol. I was screaming that exact thing at the TV when he got flagged. f**k Jared Allen and his f**king mullet.

Don't forget the bogus call on Justin Smith for hitting Farve in the knees ... even though he was probably being held and was being pulled down to the ground by a Vikings guard--not lunging from the ground like the rule states.

Or the fact that on the first play of the game a blizter's head was directly over the ball, which should have been offsides.

Of course, they did give us that hit on Shaun Hill's head to make up for these.
Originally posted by ninertico:
What we learned is that it seriously took a "Favre-esk" moment to beat us.

I love my team's heart and will. With this limited talented team, we still had until the end.

Can we beat the Rams? Oh, I know so!

Can we beat the Falcons at home? Yes, given the Minny game as a barometer.

We have a team to be proud of again!

Go 49ers!

Share 49ersWebzone