LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 134 users in the forums

What we learned from the Vikings game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kray28:
Quote:
What we learned from the Vikings game

We learned that while the team has clearly improved, it still has a long way to go. Not just the players (the most obvious evidence of improvement), but with the coaching.

We learned that the players might be more talented than even the coaches are willing to admit.

We learned that the players might have more confidence in themselves than the coaches have in them. (this is an ongoing theme).

We learned that we still have serious enough talent deficits on both sides of the ball (no pass rush and poor OL play) that heart and desire can't compensate for.

We should be a little mature about this though.....considering where we've been, we're in a better place now. It's a process, maybe we should be a bit more patient?

Originally posted by djfullshred:
We learned that Singletary/Raye are not going to deviate from the situational play calling chart that tells them to run the ball no matter what if you have a lead in the 4th quarter - even if you are leaving enough time for the other team to come back if you don't get a 1st down.

So true and so scary. The really frightening thing is the quote attributed to Sing saying he won't 2nd guess Raye and wouldn't analyze his play choices???!!!! WTF! Has he been watching our each game ended with our inability to even get first downs and repeatedly going 3 and outs while stubbornly running for negative yards? "Won't analyze"? Isn't that the job of the head coach.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Mike Singletary is not afraid of going for it on 4th and 1.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I learned that Brett Favre's lucky streak against the 49ers continues. That was a tough loss, I am still in shock.
Learned?

Cover your ears...

Sports is 55% luck and bounces and s**t happens. ESPECIALLY football.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
We learned that Singletary/Raye are not going to deviate from the situational play calling chart that tells them to run the ball no matter what if you have a lead in the 4th quarter - even if you are leaving enough time for the other team to come back if you don't get a 1st down.

So true and so scary. The really frightening thing is the quote attributed to Sing saying he won't 2nd guess Raye and wouldn't analyze his play choices???!!!! WTF! Has he been watching our each game ended with our inability to even get first downs and repeatedly going 3 and outs while stubbornly running for negative yards? "Won't analyze"? Isn't that the job of the head coach.

We lost on the luckiest 32 yard pass and catch you will ever see...

There's nothing wrong with the play calling. Just bad luck

We ran the clock down so that the Vikings eventually had to score on a bomb with 2 seconds left on the clock. I'll take that every single game
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Canadian49er:

We ran the clock down so that the Vikings eventually had to score on a bomb with 2 seconds left on the clock. I'll take that every single game

I learned that Sing is still a rookie HC and will make rookie HC mistakes...he's an awsome motivator but his X's and O's need some work.
I learned that the Niners need to learn how to finish. Here are 4 plays where the win could have been assured, none of which went the Niners way. I'm sure there are other missed opportuinties.

Spencer taunting penalty negates a 3rd down-stop by the D. Vikes go on to score TD.
Clements drops interception.
Bly drops a sure pick-6 interception.
Roman allows a WR (Lewis) get behind him on the final play.

Note that all of these are defensive-oriented non-plays. I remain convinced that the Niners have a 16-17 point-per-game offense. To score 20 or more points per game, (which is needed to win consistently), the club also has to generate points from ST or the D.
Originally posted by Joecool:
What we learned?

Mark Roman whored himself out to 31 teams and no one wanted him. He hasn't done anything for us besides being in plays made by the OTHER team.

Why in the hell is he even getting THIS much playing time? Seriously, I have no problem with our run run run in the last drive as it drained the teams timeouts. I don't have a problem with prevent because there was VERY little time remaining and the last thing we want is to blitz, get it picked up and allow a 1-on-1 jump ball.

What I DO have a problem is with some idiot who is in a prevent defense for a reason relaxes for a split second and says "Oh s**t!" as soon as Favre rifles a ball from 35 yards back only to misjudge the ball as he so often does and allow a toe tipper catch. Man, Roman has NO game awareness. I have seen Clements catch a jumping receiver and throw him out of bounds. Roman is no Clements and would have never though of trying to push the receiver out of bounds or even making contact with the receiver as soon as the ball got there.

There is a reason why Roman was passed up by 31 teams. Why the hell does he keep playing for ours AND getting time on the field?

I don't blame Roman so much for this loss...... He was in pretty good position actually. It took a perfect pass and an amazing catch in order for the Vikes to pull that play off.....if it occurred 100 times, maybe 2-3 times do they pull that off.

The Niners were unlucky yesterday. Bottom line? That last play was a f**king fluke... I really like Sing's attitude afterwards....OK...we got beaten by a fluke....what can we do? Let's learn from it and move on....
Originally posted by scopur49er:

I think it's time Sing pulled his pants down and had a chat with our OC about his offensive strategy.

Simply awesome!

I learned that we would not be going 16-0 this season yesterday

When you stubbornly and ineffectively run the ball up the middle against the best run defense in the league and go 0-11 in 3rd down conversions then yes, there is something very wrong with the offensive playcalling.

When you stubbornly and ineffectively run the ball up the middle against the best run defense in the league and go 0-11 in 3rd down conversions then yes, there is something very wrong with the offensive playcalling.

Re: the playcalling, I know Coffee had trouble catching that one pitch to the right (I forget what quarter) but I don't think every play needs to be a draw. More runs to the outside would be beneficial.

As for the last 2 possessions, I don't think I can condemn Raye for those. In fact, I kinda agree with TK:

Quote:
Singletary and Raye were going to run it three times, force Minnesota to burn all three timeouts, then Singletary was going to trust his defense to keep the Vikings from going 80 yards with no timeouts and about a minute left.

That’s how the 49ers are going to play this. I’ve covered plenty of defensive-minded head coaches and this is the way they almost always do it–when they were purely defensive coaches, they HATED IT when they were protecting leads and the offense killed the clock with incompletions or when the QB turned it over late.

Defensive-minded coaches who like their defenses trust their defenses to hold. That’s who the 49ers are–hold on defense, pound you on offense, build a lead, force the opponent offense to do something miraculous to pull it out.

Favre did the miraculous. I don’t even have a problem with the 49ers defense at the end–sure the DBs dropped back deep (but not deep enough!), but defenses always do that when the opponent has to score a TD in the last few plays.

The 49ers rushed four on the last series, and almost got Favre several times. Looked like they rushed four plus a late fifth guy on the LAST play. So that’s no pure prevent defense.

Favre simply beat them. It’s not Raye’s fault. It’s not Singletary’s fault. They had it set up the way they wanted. If they had Favre or Peyton Manning or maybe even Michael Crabtree, maybe they would do more throwing (or any throwing) in that situation.

It was a perfect throw and an absolutely incredible catch. Such is life. Let's kick the sh*t out of the Rams next week like we are supposed to, and then kill ATL afterward like not many expect us to. Playoffs.

The Vikings are not even as good on run D as we are, even after this game. The strategy was sound on the play calling, we got beat on a one in a thousand throw and catch. Even Farve admitted as much saying "I knew I was gonna get hit, so I just threw it as hard as I can". Sometimes the offense wins, it is just that simple.
If you had told me before the season started that the Niners would beat the Cards on the road, dominate the Seahawks @ home, and almost upset the Vikes on the road without the services of Frank Gore, I would have been happy as all hell.

What I've learned from this game is this team doesn't have an ounce of quit in them. Coach Sing has them all on the same page and they are a fun group to root for.
Share 49ersWebzone