LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 338 users in the forums

What we learned from the Vikings game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
They should have definately went for a high percentage pass to get a first down. The Vikes would have called a timeout anyways to stop the clock. I'm hoping that this game will give the Niners a "killer instinct". We need to finish off opponents when we get the opportunity. That game could have been won from numerous angles: Dre Bly lost that interception that could have gave us 6 and sealed it, the 101 kick return for a TD should have never happened and a first down at the end of the game should have finished the game. This team is starting to gel and we can't hide it from the NFL any longer. Singletary is slowly unleashing the beast.
Originally posted by valrod33:
we learned that it is possible to hate Brett Favre even more

OMG YES!!! LOL!!!!

...that we need to finish out the game by running out the clock on offense. This is the 2nd time we gave the ball back to the opposing offense bc we couldn't get a couple of first downs on offense.

...that we have a special defense, but they are young and we cant ride them like we did yesterday... just yet. Aubreyo is my most-improved of the unit. The guy is a beast!!!!!

...that Roman is GARBAGE...I'm sorry to say, but that pass should have never been completed. No ball skills at all.

...Raye needs to be more creative, especially in situations like our last possession. Favre should have never touched that ball in the end. The play were Gore ran wild on the Seachickens wont work now that teams have seen it. I mean come on HOW MANY TIMES DID HE RUN THAT PLAY? We need to get more of VD and Dlove running crossing and dig routes and let them use there athleticism and speed.

...our OL is still shakey and Baas gets injured too much. I think I'm more comfortable with Wragge in there. Chilo still has problems in pass protection and Pashos will probably be the starting RT for the rest of the year...IMO! Need to FINALLY pick one up a RT with one of our 1st round picks next year.

...Vernon is starting to get it!!!!!

....We can hang with the best and we're the most physical...at least in our Division. IF we dont burn ourselves out...we will win the NFC WEST!
[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Sep 28, 2009 at 12:31 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Chief:
That Shaun Hill the best QB on this team and a solid starter in the NFL.

People are giving Hill way to much credit. He is a decent NFL QB that would be the #2 on most other teams. As soon as the pocket starts to collapse he is finished, he cant scramble due to his lack of mobility.

This is nothing but b@lls**t. Here is a bit more perspective from Matt Barrows ;

Until the end, Favre was being outplayed by Shaun Hill, a former Minnesota third-stringer who threw two touchdown passes to tight end Vernon Davis. The second was a 20-yard toss over three defenders that gave the Niners a 24-20 lead midway through the fourth quarter.

He did all of this behind a crappy beat up Offensive Line with 3rd and long because of Raye........ Hill isn't the problem.

Favre was playing game manager for most of the game and his WR's dropped a lot of passes. When he needed to turn it on he did, Hill doesn't have that kind of QB ability. My statement about scrambling still holds truth, what Favre did at the end Hill doesn't have the physical ability to do.

You can blame Raye for play calling but Hill's abilities can only take him so far. He rarely goes through all of his reads because he has to get the ball out before he gets pressured. Once again, he does not have the ability to move outside the pocket and make plays on the run. That's why he is always throwing into double and triple team coverages. Now you can blame the OL for this, but if a QB isn't mobile that is his fault.

When the coaches let Hill throw we have the winning drives ....... Steve Young calls it great Quarterbacking ........ Obviously this is a forum and you are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine ...... I respectfully agree to disagree.

Hill put us into a position to win the game ....... other players and coaches had their hands in losing it.

How many winning drives has he created? The problem I have with Hill is he is not going to create something out of nothing. Hill put us in no more a of a situation to win then the rest of the team. The defense has outplayed the offense in every game, they are the ones keeping the games close...not the offense. Here are his stats for the first half.

(14:11) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete short right to 21-F.Gore [91-R.Edwards].
# (14:11) (Shotgun) PENALTY on SF-13-S.Hill, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at SF 16 - No Play.
# 3-22-SF 11 (14:08) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass short left to 84-J.Morgan to SF 12 for 1 yard (52-C.Greenway).
(11:31) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete short right to 88-I.Bruce (26-A.Winfield).
(8:03) 13-S.Hill pass short left to 44-M.Norris pushed ob at SF 23 for 6 yards (23-C.Griffin).
2-5-SF 13 (:17) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete deep right to 85-V.Davis (93-K.Williams).
3-5-SF 13 (:11) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete short middle to 29-G.Coffee [52-C.Greenway].
2-12-MIN 47 (10:42) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete short right to 88-I.Bruce (26-A.Winfield).
3-12-MIN 47 (10:36) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass short middle to 85-V.Davis to MIN 36 for 11 yards (56-E.Henderson).
4-1-MIN 36 (9:50) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass short right to 84-J.Morgan ran ob at MIN 11 for 25 yards (26-A.Winfield).
1-5-MIN 5 (9:31) 13-S.Hill pass short right to 85-V.Davis for 5 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
2-12-SF 36 (6:26) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass deep left intended for 46-D.Walker INTERCEPTED by 23-C.Griffin at MIN 27
# (3:21) 13-S.Hill pass short right to 84-J.Morgan pushed ob at SF 43 for 13 yards (25-T.Johnson).
# 1-10-SF 43 (2:56) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete deep right to 85-V.Davis.
3-9-SF 44 (2:06) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete short right to 88-I.Bruce [91-R.Edwards].

If my addition is correct he went 5-14 with a Int & TD

There is nothing overly impressive about these stats. Like I said before he plays better in the 4th quarter because the defense is tired. The pass rush isn't has consistent and he has more time to throw. That in itself is a major issue, the only time he is playing well is the end of the game. If he cant pick apart a defense in the first 3 quarters we will be in trouble. I don't hate the guy, I just think he is not the long term answer and CAN be replaced by a talented enough rookie.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by scopur49er:
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
We learned that Singletary/Raye are not going to deviate from the situational play calling chart that tells them to run the ball no matter what if you have a lead in the 4th quarter - even if you are leaving enough time for the other team to come back if you don't get a 1st down.

So true and so scary. The really frightening thing is the quote attributed to Sing saying he won't 2nd guess Raye and wouldn't analyze his play choices???!!!! WTF! Has he been watching our each game ended with our inability to even get first downs and repeatedly going 3 and outs while stubbornly running for negative yards? "Won't analyze"? Isn't that the job of the head coach.

We lost on the luckiest 32 yard pass and catch you will ever see...

There's nothing wrong with the play calling. Just bad luck

We ran the clock down so that the Vikings eventually had to score on a bomb with 2 seconds left on the clock. I'll take that every single game

When you stubbornly and ineffectively run the ball up the middle against the best run defense in the league and go 0-11 in 3rd down conversions then yes, there is something very wrong with the offensive playcalling.

The Vikings are not even as good on run D as we are, even after this game. The strategy was sound on the play calling, we got beat on a one in a thousand throw and catch. Even Farve admitted as much saying "I knew I was gonna get hit, so I just threw it as hard as I can". Sometimes the offense wins, it is just that simple.

See I don't buy that argument at all.
I don't believe one play ever makes or breaks you. There's 60 minutes of football and plenty of opportunities to extend your lead or lose it.
Look at the game as a whole and our offensive playcalling was sub-par. Our third down conversions couldn't have been worse. Our defense couldn't get off the field like they were supposed to. Too many factors play into the outcome of a game to simply say "we lost because of a one in a thousand throw and catch".

It's too convenient and too easy of an excuse and I guarantee you not a single coach or player on the team is going to look at it that same way because it'll prevent them from seeing what the real problems were.
If you're Singletary, there's no way you're satisfied with how we played as a whole. We did some things right and we did some things wrong but they won't use that final play as an excuse and I don't see why we need to either.
[ Edited by scopur49er on Sep 28, 2009 at 12:39 PM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Chief:
That Shaun Hill the best QB on this team and a solid starter in the NFL.

This staement is laughable imo.

why is it laughable. Shaun Hill has proven he is a capable QB for us, or do you not remember his 2 clutch 4th quarter drives this year against AZ and MIN

Not too hard to remember those TWO drives, as he has had only those TWO drives where he's looked good. Otherwise he has sucked out loud.
Coming from a "Smith Supporter", i thought Hill did what he had to do to win the game, but The 32 yard pass shouldn't have happened and i put that on either Lawson who looked like he started to give up on his rush, or on Roman who should have just pushed the Wide Receiver out of bounds. Plus they should have played with Three safties deep if they wanted to play prevent.

Hill was impressive, no matter what the haters say, and im a smith Supporter.

Here's to us being 3-1 going into the Falcon game.
Coming from a "Smith Supporter", i thought Hill did what he had to do to win the game, but The 32 yard pass shouldn't have happened and i put that on either Lawson who looked like he started to give up on his rush, or on Roman who should have just pushed the Wide Receiver out of bounds. Plus they should have played with Three safties deep if they wanted to play prevent.

Hill was impressive, no matter what the haters say, and im a smith Supporter.

Here's to us being 3-1 going into the Falcon game.
We learned that Singletary/Raye are not going to deviate from the situational play calling chart that tells them to run the ball no matter what if you have a lead in the 4th quarter - even if you are leaving enough time for the other team to come back if you don't get a 1st down.

So true and so scary. The really frightening thing is the quote attributed to Sing saying he won't 2nd guess Raye and wouldn't analyze his play choices???!!!! WTF! Has he been watching our each game ended with our inability to even get first downs and repeatedly going 3 and outs while stubbornly running for negative yards? "Won't analyze"? Isn't that the job of the head coach.

We ran the clock down so that the Vikings eventually had to score on a bomb with 2 seconds left on the clock. I'll take that every single game

When you stubbornly and ineffectively run the ball up the middle against the best run defense in the league and go 0-11 in 3rd down conversions then yes, there is something very wrong with the offensive playcalling.

The Vikings are not even as good on run D as we are, even after this game. The strategy was sound on the play calling, we got beat on a one in a thousand throw and catch. Even Farve admitted as much saying "I knew I was gonna get hit, so I just threw it as hard as I can". Sometimes the offense wins, it is just that simple.

I don't believe one play ever makes or breaks you. There's 60 minutes of football and plenty of opportunities to extend your lead or lose it.
Look at the game as a whole and our offensive playcalling was sub-par. Our third down conversions couldn't have been worse. Our defense couldn't get off the field like they were supposed to. Too many factors play into the outcome of a game to simply say "we lost because of a one in a thousand throw and catch".

It's too convenient and too easy of an excuse and I guarantee you not a single coach or player on the team is going to look at it that same way because it'll prevent them from seeing what the real problems were.
If you're Singletary, there's no way you're satisfied with how we played as a whole. We did some things right and we did some things wrong but they won't use that final play as an excuse and I don't see why we need to either.

We played as well as we can with the QB that we have. We lost because of a play that if they were to run it a thousand times, they succeed maybe 10% of the time. It was a fluke play, not a high percentage pass at all. There is no way Singletary is happy with the overall play, but the same could likely have been said even if we had won that game. The o line and QB were sore spots for us, Hill once again only had one good drive and looked average the rest of the day. The defense played well all day and in the end our 5th or maybe 6th DB got beat on a play that was a perfect throw and excellent catch. I do not even blame Roman for that play, the only other thing he could have done was interfere with the guy. He played his zone exactly like he should have, the only thing about that last play is what Herm Edwards brought up, there should have been more DB's in the end zone.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Sep 28, 2009 at 1:38 PM ]
Originally posted by baltien:
Ok so we lost to the Vikes at home. Time to move on and learn from our mistakes.
IMO, the Favre miracle pass had nothing to do with it but rather this key statistic did.

Third down conversions:
Niners, 0-11
Vikings, 10-20

If you all recall, one of our biggest problems the last couple years is that our defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs. Allowing 50% conversion on third downs pretty much sealed the defenses fate if you ask me. Our guys are tougher this year and they can hang with any offense in the league but not if you keep letting them move the ball down field and control the clock. Preventing 3rd down conversions is a crucial part of that.

On the flip side, we didn't convert ANY third downs which, quite honestly, is just pathetic. The root of this became apparent during the game. At one point towards the end of the game they flashed a stat which showed our average yards needed on third down and it was (if I recall) around 9.2 yards. It should be no wonder we had such a hard time converting.
So why were we so often in 3rd and long situations?
Well if you watched the game you know exactly why. Jimmy Raye was challenging the Vikings d-line by trying to push the ball up the gut and let's be honest, we lost that battle far more often than we won it. When you run up the middle on first down and fail, then run up the middle on second down and fail hey guess what? It's 3rd and long now. This happened quite often, far more often than it should have.

Let's be honest. Jimmy Raye is no offensive genius. If you know you're going up against a defense that tops the league in run stoppage, why do you continue to try and run up the gut long after it's already proven to be ineffective? We won't win games with offensive playcalling like that and it shows that Jimmy Raye either:
a) Failed to gameplan properly against the Vikes
or
b) Stubbornly refused to adapt the gameplan when it was evident things weren't working.

I think it's time Sing pulled his pants down and had a chat with our OC about his offensive strategy.

See bold. And I don't want to hear this "he doesn't trust Shaun Hill" crap. He TRUSTED Shaun Hill to convert on 4th and 1 by calling a 25 yard pass play to Morgan. If Sing/Raye truly felt that keeping the ball on the ground was our best bet, then why deviate there?

Answer: Because as much as I like Sing, he's full of it here.

He knew damn well like anyone else with two eyes that we were getting stuffed on nearly every run play. Why he thought the result would be different towards the end is beyond me. On those last two series, he just chumped out. At the worst possible time they caved into their fear of Hill POSSIBLY throwing pick, or fumbling, and it cost us the game.

End of story.

The thing that hurts my head the most is for all the "Hill just isn't that good" excuses on why we won't open the playbook, no one is LOOKING AT THE NUMBERS. So far this season, we are by far a better passing team than a running team. Hill is currently ranked 11th in the league in completion percentage.

That's AHEAD of such names as Romo, Warner, Roethlisberger, Brady, Rivers etc etc:

[url=null]null[/url] LINKAGE

Coming into the game, Shaun Hill I believe was around 3rd in the league in 3rd down completions (heard one of the sportscasters say it). He has SHOWN the first two games that we don't have to just pass when necessary. He has proved he's more than capable than shouldering the load.

All we needed was ONE first down. Just ONE. Yet we ran plays directly into the strength of the defense. Only a fool would try to argue that making sense. We gave the Vikings a gift chance they should have never had. And they made fools of us for it.

I sincerely hope that beyond the feel good speeches Sing & Raye realizes this, and will correct it.

Great post!
Ok so we lost to the Vikes at home. Time to move on and learn from our mistakes.
IMO, the Favre miracle pass had nothing to do with it but rather this key statistic did.

Third down conversions:
Niners, 0-11
Vikings, 10-20

If you all recall, one of our biggest problems the last couple years is that our defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs. Allowing 50% conversion on third downs pretty much sealed the defenses fate if you ask me. Our guys are tougher this year and they can hang with any offense in the league but not if you keep letting them move the ball down field and control the clock. Preventing 3rd down conversions is a crucial part of that.

On the flip side, we didn't convert ANY third downs which, quite honestly, is just pathetic. The root of this became apparent during the game. At one point towards the end of the game they flashed a stat which showed our average yards needed on third down and it was (if I recall) around 9.2 yards. It should be no wonder we had such a hard time converting.
Well if you watched the game you know exactly why. Jimmy Raye was challenging the Vikings d-line by trying to push the ball up the gut and let's be honest, we lost that battle far more often than we won it. When you run up the middle on first down and fail, then run up the middle on second down and fail hey guess what? It's 3rd and long now. This happened quite often, far more often than it should have.

Let's be honest. Jimmy Raye is no offensive genius. If you know you're going up against a defense that tops the league in run stoppage, why do you continue to try and run up the gut long after it's already proven to be ineffective? We won't win games with offensive playcalling like that and it shows that Jimmy Raye either:
or
b) Stubbornly refused to adapt the gameplan when it was evident things weren't working.

I think it's time Sing pulled his pants down and had a chat with our OC about his offensive strategy.

See bold. And I don't want to hear this "he doesn't trust Shaun Hill" crap. He TRUSTED Shaun Hill to convert on 4th and 1 by calling a 25 yard pass play to Morgan. If Sing/Raye truly felt that keeping the ball on the ground was our best bet, then why deviate there?

He knew damn well like anyone else with two eyes that we were getting stuffed on nearly every run play. Why he thought the result would be different towards the end is beyond me. On those last two series, he just chumped out. At the worst possible time they caved into their fear of Hill POSSIBLY throwing pick, or fumbling, and it cost us the game.

End of story.

The thing that hurts my head the most is for all the "Hill just isn't that good" excuses on why we won't open the playbook, no one is LOOKING AT THE NUMBERS. So far this season, we are by far a better passing team than a running team. Hill is currently ranked 11th in the league in completion percentage.

That's AHEAD of such names as Romo, Warner, Roethlisberger, Brady, Rivers etc etc:

Coming into the game, Shaun Hill I believe was around 3rd in the league in 3rd down completions (heard one of the sportscasters say it). He has SHOWN the first two games that we don't have to just pass when necessary. He has proved he's more than capable than shouldering the load.

All we needed was ONE first down. Just ONE. Yet we ran plays directly into the strength of the defense. Only a fool would try to argue that making sense. We gave the Vikings a gift chance they should have never had. And they made fools of us for it.

I sincerely hope that beyond the feel good speeches Sing & Raye realizes this, and will correct it.

Originally posted by NCommand:

Third down conversions:
Niners, 0-11
Vikings, 10-20

or

End of story.

Great post!

I agree this is a great post and 100% the real deal. the problem is that Singletary learned from Mike Nolan. Vanilla offense and defense when it counted. He ran 3 times into the strength of there defense and forced a punt. then turned to the great bend don't break defense that Mike Nolan was known for.
  • rum53
  • Veteran

Third down conversions:
Niners, 0-11
Vikings, 10-20

or

You left out another scenario. We all assume that it is Raye that is stubbornly sticking to a game plan. This is Singletary's team. Could the problem be Singletary's insistence on sticking with the run game?

If so, I believe Singletary is man enough to admit his shortcomings and change as required. Regardless of who's to blame, I have full faith that the coaching staff will
adapt to the current circumstances.
I learned that Brett Favre also has an identical twin brother, named Bart Favre.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

We played as well as we can with the QB that we have. We lost because of a play that if they were to run it a thousand times, they succeed maybe 10% of the time. It was a fluke play, not a high percentage pass at all. There is no way Singletary is happy with the overall play, but the same could likely have been said even if we had won that game. The o line and QB were sore spots for us, Hill once again only had one good drive and looked average the rest of the day. The defense played well all day and in the end our 5th or maybe 6th DB got beat on a play that was a perfect throw and excellent catch. I do not even blame Roman for that play, the only other thing he could have done was interfere with the guy. He played his zone exactly like he should have, the only thing about that last play is what Herm Edwards brought up, there should have been more DB's in the end zone.

Yes, the play was poorly defended, it cost us the game. Dungy made the same observation, we were defending the middle of the field more than the sidelines and end zone. That was his conclusion, that the play was poorly defended, although it was an improvised play. That needs to be corrected, a drill needs to be practiced every week. I am sure Sing and Manusky will be all over this s**t, I think it falls on their shoulder's, and they will see that. The offense did enough to win. It was handed off to the D. It will be handed off to them again in the future, not matter if the O has 50 or 3 points on the board, no matter how stellar they are, or ugly. It is far easier to correct this deficiency in the D than it is to try and make radical changes to the O, the philosophy etc., which although ugly, has done enough to get us the W in combination with this D.
i learned that the vikings gave massages with happy endings to the refs before the game
Share 49ersWebzone