LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

Are the Niners for real?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are the Niners for real?

I refrain from making my judgement until after Minny. A win outside the division on the road would be impressive.
I don't think we are as good as 2 - 0. But it's a pleasent surprise so far. We struggle royally to throw the ball. To get a completion or a first down is like pulling teeth. What happens in the games where Gore doesn't get 200 yards? This is going to crash down to earth soon.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 23, 2009 at 11:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by BigMar:
The REAL qustion should be is Shaun Hill for real?

This weekend againt Vikes Shaun gonna have to open up the pass game, just a bit more.

We all will clearly DISCOVER quite a bit about Shaun Hill, our whole offense and our defense.

Stay Tuned

All Hill has to do is complete the short passes, which he is good at. Even if Gore averages 2 yards per carry and we run, run, pass, then Hill will only need to complete 6 yard passes to keep the chains moving. 6 yard passes is what Smith has always had trouble with.

I liked Raye's play calling last week, hopefully we can continue to get better on that side of the ball
The name of this thread is "are the niners for real?"..... I believe that they are because coach sing has them believing in themselves. He's a true motivator... He could probably get me to believe in Santa if he told me to my face.
  • OHHWHAT
  • Info N/A
Nobody takes us serious until we can pass the ROCK, and so far the pass game is on holdout along with crotchtree.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
With this o-line and Shaun Hill, we aren't going far.

thats right

lol, haters.

Well, I have to ask: do you think we ARE going far?

Within the NFC, we can't get past New Orleans, New York, Dallas, or Atlanta. We have a chance against Minnesota and Green Bay and Philadelphia and Chicago. We'll probably win the West, and then get smoked in the playoffs.

Our defense and special teams are excellent. We have a top 10 RB, a surprisingly good TE, and serviceable WRs. But our offense sucks because of our o-line and our QB.

Shaun Hill is precisely the kind of guy I would want as a backup QB . . . you know, he can come in when needed and, through craftiness and hard work, maybe manage to tough out a win. I support him, and I love it when he makes something good happen, but he misses a lot of opportunities to throw it down field. Some of that has to do with his questionable arm strength, and some of that has to do with his scrambling and dipping and ducking.

But, yeah, he's better than Alex Smith. Whatever that means.

I still don't see what Shaun Hill hasn't done that makes you think he can't be a top 15 QB? If the only thing you can say is that he didn't throw to some open guys when he had a lead, then that's a weak argument because he hit a lot of open guys last year.

Besides not throwing to open guys when in terrible field position while in the lead during a game, what else makes you think he is no better than a backup?

It's up to Shaun Hill to show that he can be a top 15 QB. I've watched him play many times over the last couple seasons, and from what I've seen, he's basically a gutsy, noodle-armed guy with respectable leadership skills. Unless we give him an all-time great defense and a vastly improved o-line, Shaun Hill will at best lead us to second round of the playoffs.

You forgot accurate with an above average rating and high winning percentage.

I think the winning percentage is BS stat , did Hill tear off 2 70+ yard TD runs , So then if he gets all the praise for wins does he get dirted when they lose ? No it's always someone else's fault , his weenie arm is holding the team back and making things easier for opposing defenses, when your passes move at the speed of smell , the defenders can make uo any seperation the receiver may have made , just watch
  • gore4prez
  • Info N/A
no , we are all part of the 49erswebone Matrix. Free me Neo!
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by BigMar:
The REAL qustion should be is Shaun Hill for real?

This weekend againt Vikes Shaun gonna have to open up the pass game, just a bit more.

We all will clearly DISCOVER quite a bit about Shaun Hill, our whole offense and our defense.

Stay Tuned

All Hill has to do is complete the short passes, which he is good at. Even if Gore averages 2 yards per carry and we run, run, pass, then Hill will only need to complete 6 yard passes to keep the chains moving. 6 yard passes is what Smith has always had trouble with.

I liked Raye's play calling last week, hopefully we can continue to get better on that side of the ball

With a primarily between the Tackles run-game, I have been waiting for the days of Steve Young when we see a fake dive to the FB and a pitch out to Gore. Raye called it twice with a lot of success.
  • JC49
  • Veteran
I think we get to nine wins and hang tough with whoever we meet in the first round. We might not be ready to go deep into the playoffs (or on the field) but stranger things have happened.

The offense is not a strength and worse than that way too unproductive. Yes we've won two and I am thrilled. But Singletary's restrictively conservative approach scared away innovative offensive coordinators and Raye is less than wowing people. I hope Singletay learns he needs to attack on offense as well as defense and he and Raye find ways they are comfortable and can be successful doing it. Maybe it will develop over the course of the season. Sigletary has already hinted at it perhaps.

Expecting the D to be good enough to compensate for a lack of O for this or more seasons will be rough to bear and ending up needing another OC would be demoralizing.
Originally posted by BigRon:
Originally posted by bigmur49:
I think we fall in the 9 win category. Win the West and get blown out in the 1st round. Our D is looking great, and might be a really great unit for the next few years but the Offense still scares me. Take out the two big runs and Gore has like 60 yards in two games. It doesn't seem like we can move the ball consistently on the ground, and other than the one big drive against the Cards it seems we can't move it consistently in the air either. Plus, as the announcers pointed out, some of our play calling makes you scratch your head to say the least.

We find out Sunday.

they are for real but we will find out how far they have come to be for real !

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
To get a completion or a first down is like pulling teeth.

Week Two - 20 first downs, 20 for 32 in passing (62.5%), 35.7% 3rd down conversion rate.

What happens in the games where Gore doesn't get 200 yards?

Week One - 22 rushes for 30 yards = WIN.

If you can, check out the week 2 short cuts on DirecTv. You might find that your perception or our passing woes is not completely based in reality.
[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Sep 24, 2009 at 9:40 AM ]
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
To get a completion or a first down is like pulling teeth.

Week Two - 20 first downs, 20 for 32 in passing (62.5%), 35.7% 3rd down conversion rate.

What happens in the games where Gore doesn't get 200 yards?

Week One - 22 rushes for 30 yards = WIN.

Not Yet. The hawks and cards arent that great. If we can beat the Vikings OR the Falcons, then I will say yes, we are for real. If they can beat a team that's hot right now, then everyone will realize this is for real
Originally posted by JC49:
I think we get to nine wins and hang tough with whoever we meet in the first round. We might not be ready to go deep into the playoffs (or on the field) but stranger things have happened.

The offense is not a strength and worse than that way too unproductive. Yes we've won two and I am thrilled. But Singletary's restrictively conservative approach scared away innovative offensive coordinators and Raye is less than wowing people. I hope Singletay learns he needs to attack on offense as well as defense and he and Raye find ways they are comfortable and can be successful doing it. Maybe it will develop over the course of the season. Sigletary has already hinted at it perhaps.

Expecting the D to be good enough to compensate for a lack of O for this or more seasons will be rough to bear and ending up needing another OC would be demoralizing.

I don't know, the win against SEA was a very convincing win. ARI was extremely close to winning the Superbowl and their defense isn't a joke AND we beat them. They are the type of team we will meet in the playoffs.
Minnesota may indeed be good but so far they have only beaten Detroit and Cleveland. Our win over Arizona was the best indication so far of how far we can go. They may have been off a bit that week, but they certainly destroyed the Jaguars on the road in week 2. I think we will beat Minnesota if we play as we have. And St. Louis too, if we don't let down. And then the Falcons? Too far away to predict.
Share 49ersWebzone