Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are the Niners for real?

Originally posted by NattoNiner:
If Sing's changes up the playbook - 9 wins
If Sing sticks with smush mouth crapball - 6 wins

Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
Originally posted by dobophile:
With this o-line and Shaun Hill, we aren't going far.

thats right

lol, haters.

I've been making a list of Zoners with quotes; later in the season, I will rub it in their faces.
Originally posted by Joecool:

thats right

lol, haters.

Well, I have to ask: do you think we ARE going far?

Within the NFC, we can't get past New Orleans, New York, Dallas, or Atlanta. We have a chance against Minnesota and Green Bay and Philadelphia and Chicago. We'll probably win the West, and then get smoked in the playoffs.

Our defense and special teams are excellent. We have a top 10 RB, a surprisingly good TE, and serviceable WRs. But our offense sucks because of our o-line and our QB.

Shaun Hill is precisely the kind of guy I would want as a backup QB . . . you know, he can come in when needed and, through craftiness and hard work, maybe manage to tough out a win. I support him, and I love it when he makes something good happen, but he misses a lot of opportunities to throw it down field. Some of that has to do with his questionable arm strength, and some of that has to do with his scrambling and dipping and ducking.

But, yeah, he's better than Alex Smith. Whatever that means.

I still don't see what Shaun Hill hasn't done that makes you think he can't be a top 15 QB? If the only thing you can say is that he didn't throw to some open guys when he had a lead, then that's a weak argument because he hit a lot of open guys last year.

Besides not throwing to open guys when in terrible field position while in the lead during a game, what else makes you think he is no better than a backup?

It's up to Shaun Hill to show that he can be a top 15 QB. I've watched him play many times over the last couple seasons, and from what I've seen, he's basically a gutsy, noodle-armed guy with respectable leadership skills. Unless we give him an all-time great defense and a vastly improved o-line, Shaun Hill will at best lead us to second round of the playoffs.

You forgot accurate with an above average rating and high winning percentage.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

thats right

lol, haters.

I've been making a list of Zoners with quotes; later in the season, I will rub it in their faces.

• 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Shaun Hill=weakest link, other than that things look to be headed in the right direction , but they've been 2-0 before and things went south , if the beat 'Sota they could really be on their way IMO
Joecool, dude, this all comes down to opinion based on what you see with your own two eyes. I like Shaun Hill, and I hope he leads us to a title. I just don't see it happening.

For it to happen, though, we would need to drastically upgrade the o-line and transform our excellent defense into one of the all-time greats, like Baltimore several years ago. Under those circumstances, I believe Shaun Hill can win a Super Bowl.

So, yeah, I'm not super optimistic about this season. I think we'll win 9 games or so, and probably win the West. But, c'mon, 2007 wasn't that long ago. We can't turn this craptastic franchise around thatquickly.

Tell that to Miami and Atlanta.
Joecool, dude, this all comes down to opinion based on what you see with your own two eyes. I like Shaun Hill, and I hope he leads us to a title. I just don't see it happening.

For it to happen, though, we would need to drastically upgrade the o-line and transform our excellent defense into one of the all-time greats, like Baltimore several years ago. Under those circumstances, I believe Shaun Hill can win a Super Bowl.

So, yeah, I'm not super optimistic about this season. I think we'll win 9 games or so, and probably win the West. But, c'mon, 2007 wasn't that long ago. We can't turn this craptastic franchise around thatquickly.

that is the thing about NinerTalk, you can't have opinions that is different than someone elses. Then you just get accused of "picking a fight" Internet people internet

thats right

lol, haters.

Well, I have to ask: do you think we ARE going far?

Within the NFC, we can't get past New Orleans, New York, Dallas, or Atlanta. We have a chance against Minnesota and Green Bay and Philadelphia and Chicago. We'll probably win the West, and then get smoked in the playoffs.

Our defense and special teams are excellent. We have a top 10 RB, a surprisingly good TE, and serviceable WRs. But our offense sucks because of our o-line and our QB.

Shaun Hill is precisely the kind of guy I would want as a backup QB . . . you know, he can come in when needed and, through craftiness and hard work, maybe manage to tough out a win. I support him, and I love it when he makes something good happen, but he misses a lot of opportunities to throw it down field. Some of that has to do with his questionable arm strength, and some of that has to do with his scrambling and dipping and ducking.

But, yeah, he's better than Alex Smith. Whatever that means.

I am refraining on thinking too hard about how far they will go, and just watching with an open mind. I've gotten my criticism out of the way during the offseason, and now I am sitting back enjoying this season. And so far it has been fun to watch.

At least after two games they have been for real. The Cards are good team. They didn't go to the Superbowl as a fluke team. They dominated their competition in the playoffs, and lost to the Steelers by a hair.

So what is see is a coach the team is behind 100% barking at them they are not good enough. He is going to work those guys hard into getting better. I am a critical fan, but this part is starting to look obvious - that they will continue to improve throughout the year, and not get discouraged by some bumps in the road along the way, unlike under Nolan. So who knows how far they will go? Maybe despite all the good, things won't roll their way, and they will lose too many games. But neither you or I can really predict, because of the bigger picture intangibles of attitude & team chemistry.

So no reason to sound like a hater & predict their doom so early in the season.
[ Edited by djfullshred on Sep 23, 2009 at 2:14 PM ]
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

Tell that to Miami and Atlanta.

OK, then. How about this? Mike Nolan was our coach as recently as 2008, and we still have Alex Smith (albeit at a reduced rate now). So, yeah, we're still trying to turn this franchise around. And, BTW, I don't see Miami or Atlanta going that far, either.

Are we headed in the right direction? Yes, definitely. Are we contenders yet? No, I don't think so. What are our main areas of concern? IMO, and you can disagree all you want, our main areas of concern are QB and o-line. If we address those weaknesses, we'll have one of the top teams in the league.

We'd better do it soon, because I would hate for us to waste Gore's most productive years.

On weaknesses, I agree, and I'll add this - even though the pass rush has improved, a Stud pass rusher is still needed also. We will win the NFC West, after that I don't know.
Originally posted by asu49ers:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by cgida:

i agree. This o-line has surrendered 8 sacks in two games, which will produce more sacks than the last two years. These guys will gell throughout the year but they have been playing in the same positions for over a year, minus Snyder. Where is the continutity that is supposed to be displayed? If Hill keeps getting hit like that each game, he will be on the sidelines soon enough with injuries. We have to be able to protect the QB no matter who he is and right now I am not convinced that we can. This week should give us a good indication of how good ar bad the line really is.

on more than a few of those sacks, Hill held onto the ball way too long. So we could chalk those up to Hill or our WR's not creating separation. But yea, I don't think Hill can take us to the next level. Here's to our top 5 pick next year from Carolina!

Colt has not looked spectacular this year, especially during that Texas Tech game. I would actually prefer Jevan Snead, Jimmy Clausen, or Jake Locker at this point

I am not sold on Colt either. Locker is a Junior BTW and he looks way better this year than in his previous 2. Sounds like he will stick around for his senior season while grooming Nick Montana.

The Vikings game will say a lot because the first two victories say that we are contenders for the west, but people have always railed on how the nfc west is the weakest link.

Speaking of weakest link-I believe it is the o-line, but that may be because we run so much that they haven't managed to gel as one in pass protection.

It is like any athletics, if you concentrate on only one part of the game, you don't become as good or it becomes weakened.
No, there cardboard cut outs that the NFL sticks out there.
The REAL qustion should be is Shaun Hill for real?

This weekend againt Vikes Shaun gonna have to open up the pass game, just a bit more.

We all will clearly DISCOVER quite a bit about Shaun Hill, our whole offense and our defense.

Stay Tuned
Originally posted by BigMar:
The REAL qustion should be is Shaun Hill for real?

This weekend againt Vikes Shaun gonna have to open up the pass game, just a bit more.

We all will clearly DISCOVER quite a bit about Shaun Hill, our whole offense and our defense.

Stay Tuned

All Hill has to do is complete the short passes, which he is good at. Even if Gore averages 2 yards per carry and we run, run, pass, then Hill will only need to complete 6 yard passes to keep the chains moving. 6 yard passes is what Smith has always had trouble with.
I think our team this year has a good chance but man, our O play calling has got to improve a whole lot better. Not happy with our getting Raye and still not happy with him after the 1st 2 games.
Share 49ersWebzone