LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 128 users in the forums

Should Nate Davis be the back-up QB behind Shaun Hill?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Nate Davis be the back-up QB behind Shaun Hill?

No this is retarded because he would get ruined. we are going to need our back up at some point this year and you are just going to ruin him like smith.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Here we go... Nate Davis > Alex Smith

Right. Seriously man I think Nate will be good one day but this is a hopeless discussion. You're a typical reactionary fan. I find them in every fan base. I have friends who are raider fans and when Andrew Walter had a good pre season everyone clamored for him. What happened? 2-14.

I'm just saying I agree with you that Nate is good but you have to put things in perspective. It's like saying Brit Miller is better than Moran Norris or Jo Jon Finley is better than VD. It's senseless. With your logic we should just start Davis and bench Hill too. Cmon man get real.

Regardless of what happened in the preseason, you can't deny the fact and history that Alex Smith stinks it up every time he's on the field. Nate Davis has all the skills and qualities that your beloved Alex Smith has, but Davis is much better.

He's got the big arm, the mobility, but unlike Alex Smith, Davis actually has pocket presence and accuracy. He's not afraid to throw the ball away if there is no play. Alex Smith scrambles around and rolls to his right every time he sees a little pressure and makes a poor decision with the ball.

All I'm saying is Nate Davis has a lot more upside and potential than Alex Smith. We've all seen what Alex Smith can do, (not much). Nate Davis is better than Alex Smith IMO.

Nice conjecture...but it is just that.
Originally posted by DonJulio:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

Right. Seriously man I think Nate will be good one day but this is a hopeless discussion. You're a typical reactionary fan. I find them in every fan base. I have friends who are raider fans and when Andrew Walter had a good pre season everyone clamored for him. What happened? 2-14.

I'm just saying I agree with you that Nate is good but you have to put things in perspective. It's like saying Brit Miller is better than Moran Norris or Jo Jon Finley is better than VD. It's senseless. With your logic we should just start Davis and bench Hill too. Cmon man get real.

Regardless of what happened in the preseason, you can't deny the fact and history that Alex Smith stinks it up every time he's on the field. Nate Davis has all the skills and qualities that your beloved Alex Smith has, but Davis is much better.

He's got the big arm, the mobility, but unlike Alex Smith, Davis actually has pocket presence and accuracy. He's not afraid to throw the ball away if there is no play. Alex Smith scrambles around and rolls to his right every time he sees a little pressure and makes a poor decision with the ball.

All I'm saying is Nate Davis has a lot more upside and potential than Alex Smith. We've all seen what Alex Smith can do, (not much). Nate Davis is better than Alex Smith IMO.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

YES

No.

Yes/No/Yes/No who bout some actual stats or reasons behind your responses

No.

Yes.

Yes.

You da man DonMan!
No. He still has to learn and you don't want him getting thrown into the fire before he's ready. Smith can be that buffer, just in case Hill gets hurt.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

YES

No.

maybe.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

YES

No.

Sighhhh; no longer DA man Don. Foolish I say! Time for another gin & tonic!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
No this is retarded because he would get ruined. we are going to need our back up at some point this year and you are just going to ruin him like smith.

Like; Sanchez, Stafford, Cutler? Sighhh, not all players are the same.. Now where is that fridge!

NINERS!!!!!!!

Like; Sanchez, Stafford, Cutler? Sighhh, not all players are the same.. Now where is that fridge!

NINERS!!!!!!!

But do you really want to chance it? Play it safe until he is truly really.
Originally posted by niners94:

NINERS!!!!!!!

truly really what?

NINERS!!!!!!!

truly really what?

There is a strong class of QBs coming out in the next draft. If Hill goes down the season is already a lost cause. At least we will know if he is the future or not.

NINERS!!!!!!!

Well man, I think he will be ready to go by mid-late season. One of the better things about MS is that he is not afraid to pull players and try others. So I expect if Hill doesn't get it done enough, and when Smith goes in a plays the way he does typically, then he tries Davis.

Don't you think this would be a logical progression? The NFL just doesn't treat rookie QBs the way it used to, there is too much movement.. not enough time, team loyalty seems to be a thing of the past..

NINERS!!!!!
  • B650
  • Veteran
No, not yet. Once Smith leaves the team, then yes. I would like to see Nate Davis run the team one day. The guy makes throws I've never seen Hill or Smith make.
Originally posted by B650:
No, not yet. Once Smith leaves the team, then yes. I would like to see Nate Davis run the team one day. The guy makes throws I've never seen Hill or Smith make.

The kid does throw a nice deep spiral which makes it easier for receivers to catch.
Read Lowell Cohn's article on Davis...it'll tell you everything you need to know about the situation.
Share 49ersWebzone