LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Should Nate Davis be the back-up QB behind Shaun Hill?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Nate Davis be the back-up QB behind Shaun Hill?

I have been wating to see what fans have had to say about Nate's performance last night - a pass-by-pass evaluation. The silence is almost deafening, which tells me that it was less than stupendous. Did reality just settle in?

While Nate has tools and potential, he is far from what we need now to guide this team offensively. What I saw were too many poor decisions, passes to covered receivers. He was lucky that more of them were not intercepted. Indeed, four of them could have been, while only one was. In another game, he might have not been so lucky.

Be patient. The kid might develop, and then again he might not. The NFL road is littered with bright comets that dazzled for a short time before fizzling. The good ones are few.
IMO The QB battle between Hill and Smith isnt over.
BTW, PFT is reporting that Jeff Garcia has been cut. This place is gonna go crazy.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
This place has NO clue what it takes to develop a QB.

By making Davis the backup you're basically condemning him to the same fate as Alex Smith. He'll get thrown into the wolves too early and it will stunt his growth. Two years from now you same people who want him to play now will be talking about how garbage he is because we rushed him too quick.

Let him duke it out next year for the job. It's way to early to have him playing this season.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Here we go... Nate Davis > Alex Smith

Right. Seriously man I think Nate will be good one day but this is a hopeless discussion. You're a typical reactionary fan. I find them in every fan base. I have friends who are raider fans and when Andrew Walter had a good pre season everyone clamored for him. What happened? 2-14.

I'm just saying I agree with you that Nate is good but you have to put things in perspective. It's like saying Brit Miller is better than Moran Norris or Jo Jon Finley is better than VD. It's senseless. With your logic we should just start Davis and bench Hill too. Cmon man get real.

I'm wit you brotha. I mean why throw Davis to the woods if we dint have too. One thing tho I'm noticin, why is there soo much emphasis on who our backup qb is. Hill is the starter, but witout sayin it seems a lot of people dont think he'll even finish the season. If we have soo much faith in our offense and Hill, then why any emphasis on our backup?
Smith sucks
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Davis is the only Franchise QB prospect on the team,no doubt about that. He is too raw to start and even a bit raw to backup. But he has sooooo much more talent than smith,he will easily pass Smith up for backup duty by next year,maybe by midseason? And maybe even be the starter by next year?
But not yet.
The question should be,who will be Davis' backup when he takes over as the #1 QB ?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Now that Garcia has been cut Garcia should be #2 with Hill who has no upside on a very short leash. Nate Davis should remain #3 and Alex Smith out the door. I can't believe there are still zoners in Smith's corner, the guy got his chance and could not beat out a pathetic Shaun Hill. Smith is healthy now and has no more excuses, time to send him packing.
  • Nyner
No....he's no ready yet...it's going to be a while.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Here we go... Nate Davis > Alex Smith

Right. Seriously man I think Nate will be good one day but this is a hopeless discussion. You're a typical reactionary fan. I find them in every fan base. I have friends who are raider fans and when Andrew Walter had a good pre season everyone clamored for him. What happened? 2-14.

I'm just saying I agree with you that Nate is good but you have to put things in perspective. It's like saying Brit Miller is better than Moran Norris or Jo Jon Finley is better than VD. It's senseless. With your logic we should just start Davis and bench Hill too. Cmon man get real.

Regardless of what happened in the preseason, you can't deny the fact and history that Alex Smith stinks it up every time he's on the field. Nate Davis has all the skills and qualities that your beloved Alex Smith has, but Davis is much better.

He's got the big arm, the mobility, but unlike Alex Smith, Davis actually has pocket presence and accuracy. He's not afraid to throw the ball away if there is no play. Alex Smith scrambles around and rolls to his right every time he sees a little pressure and makes a poor decision with the ball.

All I'm saying is Nate Davis has a lot more upside and potential than Alex Smith. We've all seen what Alex Smith can do, (not much). Nate Davis is better than Alex Smith IMO.

When Smith throws the ball away, it's a bad thing.

When Davis throws the ball away, it's a good thing.

-9fA

Toushee! & PWNED!!!! yay 200

Next Year
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by crzy:
No. He should start.

lol i have to agree, he looks better then Hill or Smith at this time. Thats a really bad sign for the 49ers. Nate has a touch pass and a strong arm, something I have not seen in years on this team. I did not like what I saw in per-season. Were in huge trouble.

I agree too. I know I will get a lot of Öh you were on JTO's nuts, Oh, you were on Hill's nuts and now Nate. For the record, All of our QB's are below average and Nate could learn a lot getting some playtime. He has more upside than Hill or Smith.
Why do people hate Alex Smith so much? He throws more passes that get dropped than any other QB I've seen, show him some sympathy and get your heads out of the stat sheets.
Damon Huard should be. Davis needs a year or two to learn the position. Now since rushing him in and ruining his career, like Alex Smith.
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
IMO The QB battle between Hill and Smith isnt over.

If they (Hill and Smith) don't watch out, after next years' draft, Hill and Smith will find themselves in the same position as Huard.
Share 49ersWebzone