LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

Should Nate Davis be the back-up QB behind Shaun Hill?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Nate Davis be the back-up QB behind Shaun Hill?

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
Davis had a so-so game against a 3rd string lineup. Nothing more. He showed tonight he is not close to being ready to play regularly.

this

I agree he's not ready. But neither is smith.

I can agree on this.... But the funny thing is... Nate Davis is a rookie, Alex Smith has been in the NFL for 5 years.

Nate Davis was a 5th round pick, Alex Smith was a number one overall pick...
Smith has not yet shown he is the answer but he is certainly a better option than Davis at this point.

Doesn't matter where they were picked.

Yes, it doesn't matter where they were picked.... a number one overall draft pick should not be expected to play better than a 5th round draft pick. The expectations are the same. So Matthew Stafford has the same expectations as Mr. Irrelevant? c'mon man... admit it. Alex Smith is a bust. You are entitled to your opinions, but let's keep it real. Alex Smith sucks.
Davis had a so-so game against a 3rd string lineup. Nothing more. He showed tonight he is not close to being ready to play regularly.

this

I can agree on this.... But the funny thing is... Nate Davis is a rookie, Alex Smith has been in the NFL for 5 years.

Smith has not yet shown he is the answer but he is certainly a better option than Davis at this point.

Yes, it doesn't matter where they were picked.... a number one overall draft pick should not be expected to play better than a 5th round draft pick. The expectations are the same. So Matthew Stafford has the same expectations as Mr. Irrelevant? c'mon man... admit it. Alex Smith is a bust. You are entitled to your opinions, but let's keep it real. Alex Smith sucks.

This thread isn't about Smith being a bust. Don't change the subject of your own thread

this

Thats not funny. It's quite sad.

Yes, it is sad.

I feel like we have been having the same arguement for the last 5 years. Remember the Hill over Smith arguements last year. Its like the same people who refused to believe Nolan was a bad coach are now holding out hope for alex.
Originally posted by DonJulio:

this

This thread isn't about Smith being a bust. Don't change the subject of your own thread

I'm not changing the subject of the thread. The subject of the thread is Nate Davis being the back-up QB behind Shaun Hill. Who is the current back-up???? Alex Smith.

Comparing the two is perfectly legitimate.

this

I'm not changing the subject of the thread. The subject of the thread is Nate Davis being the back-up QB behind Shaun Hill. Who is the current back-up???? Alex Smith.

I thought this thread was about who would make the better backup, at this point, to Shaun Hill.......not to debate whether we believe Alex Smith is a bust or not....

I was kinda joking anyway. Ohh gawd now I know why I stay out of this silly noob forum

[ Edited by DonJulio on Sep 4, 2009 at 23:02:19 ]

this

I thought this thread was about who would make the better backup, at this point, to Shaun Hill.......not to debate whether we believe Alex Smith is a bust or not....

I was kinda joking anyway. Ohh gawd now I know why I stay out of this silly noob forum

It's all good my fellow 49er fan. Our debates and disputes are just our ways of showing our undeniable passion for our team. In the end, we all want the 49ers to win and be successful.

But I'll keep it real. I have nothing against Alex Smith, but I just honestly don't think he's any good. I'm rooting for Nate Davis to eventually become the backup over Smith, and possibly becoming a starter one day.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Here we go... Nate Davis > Alex Smith

Right. Seriously man I think Nate will be good one day but this is a hopeless discussion. You're a typical reactionary fan. I find them in every fan base. I have friends who are raider fans and when Andrew Walter had a good pre season everyone clamored for him. What happened? 2-14.

I'm just saying I agree with you that Nate is good but you have to put things in perspective. It's like saying Brit Miller is better than Moran Norris or Jo Jon Finley is better than VD. It's senseless. With your logic we should just start Davis and bench Hill too. Cmon man get real.

Not senseless. Davis has already in only 4 preseason games shown more poise, arm strength, accuracy, etc than Smith has shown in his years with the Niners.

There is nearly no comparison between the skill sets and intangibles. I say cut it should have been Smith that was released and not Huard..

this

It's all good my fellow 49er fan. Our debates and disputes are just our ways of showing our undeniable passion for our team. In the end, we all want the 49ers to win and be successful.

But I'll keep it real. I have nothing against Alex Smith, but I just honestly don't think he's any good. I'm rooting for Nate Davis to eventually become the backup over Smith, and possibly becoming a starter one day.

Based on the little we've seen from Davis, so am I. I hope he continues his good play. But for RIGHT NOW, as opening-day backup QB, nah. If he continues doing well, it will happen in due time.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Yes

Right. Seriously man I think Nate will be good one day but this is a hopeless discussion. You're a typical reactionary fan. I find them in every fan base. I have friends who are raider fans and when Andrew Walter had a good pre season everyone clamored for him. What happened? 2-14.

I'm just saying I agree with you that Nate is good but you have to put things in perspective. It's like saying Brit Miller is better than Moran Norris or Jo Jon Finley is better than VD. It's senseless. With your logic we should just start Davis and bench Hill too. Cmon man get real.

Regardless of what happened in the preseason, you can't deny the fact and history that Alex Smith stinks it up every time he's on the field. Nate Davis has all the skills and qualities that your beloved Alex Smith has, but Davis is much better.

He's got the big arm, the mobility, but unlike Alex Smith, Davis actually has pocket presence and accuracy. He's not afraid to throw the ball away if there is no play. Alex Smith scrambles around and rolls to his right every time he sees a little pressure and makes a poor decision with the ball.

All I'm saying is Nate Davis has a lot more upside and potential than Alex Smith. We've all seen what Alex Smith can do, (not much). Nate Davis is better than Alex Smith IMO.

No.

Yes.

this

Based on the little we've seen from Davis, so am I. I hope he continues his good play. But for RIGHT NOW, as opening-day backup QB, nah. If he continues doing well, it will happen in due time.

We can agree to disagree. But I still think Nate Davis would be a better backup than Alex Smith.
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

Regardless of what happened in the preseason, you can't deny the fact and history that Alex Smith stinks it up every time he's on the field. Nate Davis has all the skills and qualities that your beloved Alex Smith has, but Davis is much better.

He's got the big arm, the mobility, but unlike Alex Smith, Davis actually has pocket presence and accuracy. He's not afraid to throw the ball away if there is no play. Alex Smith scrambles around and rolls to his right every time he sees a little pressure and makes a poor decision with the ball.

All I'm saying is Nate Davis has a lot more upside and potential than Alex Smith. We've all seen what Alex Smith can do, (not much). Nate Davis is better than Alex Smith IMO.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

this

This... is funny. He is a loser, not a winner. Hard to grasp?

No.

Yes.

Yes.

YES

No.

Yes.

Yes.

YES

No.
Share 49ersWebzone