LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 176 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Mad, would you call this the perfect storm for this to have happened? It's too bad, really, he could have been a player for us at a position of dire need.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Sep 12, 2009 at 07:50:13 ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
To me, the response by many on the board, is very disturbing. The attempt to make character assassinations on this kid is out of control at this point.

We've had comparisons to Randy Moss, who was arrested for a violent assault in college, was in trouble with the law for smoking marijuana, and more.
We have seen him characterized as "greedy", "selfish", "stubborn", and people have attempted to label his friends as a crime syndicate.
We have had many argue that he is a "diva", something that Eric Mangini (one of the least trustworthy guys in the NFL) stated.

And, on and on, the list goes.

So, the bottom line is that if anyone disagrees with Niners' management, the acceptable position is to attempt to smear their character, make them look like an arrogant, greedy, evil, bad person, who hangs out with criminals.

These people making these statements are the same ones that celebrated his selection in April, as one of the greatest gifts from the gods. And, I'm taking a wild guess here, they would not have made any of these inflammatory statements if he had simply agreed with Niners' management and signed on the dotted line.

I think we have come down to only a handful of people who can rationally argue the Niners' management position on this board, even though the Niners have a good argument. The majority seem to be resting their argument on Crabtree being vile. And that is pathetic.

I agree, everyone was so excited when we drafted him. But to the point, when do you see him signing Mad Dog. 1:14 tomorrow afternoon?
Originally posted by Tyler82:
I just don't think it will happen. The Niners have leaked their position that they will not move out of the tenth overall slot, and Crabtree is not going to cave.

So, this is simply not going to happen. I don't see either side caving. Both have dug in, and both are bound to save face.

As stated for some time now, only a unique contract, in which both sides can claim victory, and save face, is the only hope.

If he wants to play games then let him sit.......we will trade his rights before the draft and then we will hopfully have 3 FIRST ROUND PICKS for the 2010 draft..... ahhhh that would be sweet

This is another pathetic response. Congrats!

Do you honestly think anyone is "playing games"? Is that the best argument you have?
  • evil
  • Veteran
To me, the response by many on the board, is very disturbing. The attempt to make character assassinations on this kid is out of control at this point.

We've had comparisons to Randy Moss, who was arrested for a violent assault in college, was in trouble with the law for smoking marijuana, and more.
We have seen him characterized as "greedy", "selfish", "stubborn", and people have attempted to label his friends as a crime syndicate.
We have had many argue that he is a "diva", something that Eric Mangini (one of the least trustworthy guys in the NFL) stated.

So, the bottom line is that if anyone disagrees with Niners' management, the acceptable position is to attempt to smear their character, make them look like an arrogant, greedy, evil, bad person, who hangs out with criminals.

These people making these statements are the same ones that celebrated his selection in April, as one of the greatest gifts from the gods. And, I'm taking a wild guess here, they would not have made any of these inflammatory statements if he had simply agreed with Niners' management and signed on the dotted line.

I think we have come down to only a handful of people who can rationally argue the Niners' management position on this board, even though the Niners have a good argument. The majority seem to be resting their argument on Crabtree being vile. And that is pathetic.

Have a great day and Go Irish MD!
Reminded me of Warren Sapp. He dropped in the draft because of weed rumor. Took money for the position, tore up NFL offensive line, and I don't remember him complained about money with Tampa.

The Niners has a good history of compensating players for their worth and ability. Jed York elude to it. Crabtree IS GREEDY. No reason he can't play with the 10th draft contract. Then if he becomes the top 5 wr in the NFL, he and his agent can work with the Niners to get that money.

Right now it's like, interviewing for an entry level position, but I know I can be management so I'm going to ask for management pay at an interview with the boss. CRAZY! STUPID!

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 12, 2009 at 08:02:06 ]
Page 200 right around the corner, as is the season. Sign already Crabs....earn that big money in the second contract! What are you afraid of?
Originally posted by global_nomad:

I agree, everyone was so excited when we drafted him. But to the point, when do you see him signing Mad Dog. 1:14 tomorrow afternoon?

I don't see it happening. I think he's going to sit out this year, train like mad for the next draft, and try to prove the skeptics wrong on his speed.

If he was smart, he'd leave the Bay Area as soon as possible, and go train with Tom Shaw, who is one of the best combine and Pro Day trainers. He is probably the best at improving timed speeds, and if Crabtree can focus on working on all of these issues this season, and get him in the 4.40 area in his forty time (unlikely right now, but possible under Tom Shaw), he will only increase his value going into next season.
Originally posted by BigRon:
I have an idea, I stole it from others.

Lets make a Crabtree Forum. Instead of a long long thread no one bothers to read.

Once the Forum is created. N00bs will only see and be allowed to post in the Crabtree forum until they are recommended for entrance into the rest of the zone, Forum by forum.

As an additional benefit. No more Bannings from the Zone. All Bannings will be to the Crabtree forum.

WINNER, even if part of it was stolen from me
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I don't see it happening. I think he's going to sit out this year, train like mad for the next draft, and try to prove the skeptics wrong on his speed.

If he was smart, he'd leave the Bay Area as soon as possible, and go train with Tom Shaw, who is one of the best combine and Pro Day trainers. He is probably the best at improving timed speeds, and if Crabtree can focus on working on all of these issues this season, and get him in the 4.40 area in his forty time (unlikely right now, but possible under Tom Shaw), he will only increase his value going into next season.

So Mad, you don't think the Niners will trade his rights to the highest bidder?
Originally posted by mayo63:
Mad, would you call this the perfect storm for this to have happened. It's too bad, really, he could have been a player for us at a position of dire need.

It could have been prevented in my opinion, unless Crabtree was looking for money over DHB's. My argument for some time now is that the Niners are attempting to play nice with the usual slot position, and going outside would cause them to be looked at with scorn by the rest of the league.

However, if both sides would have been willing, a contract just under DHB's could have been possible if signed before Raji and Monroe. I just don't think the Niners were interested in that concept, and at the same time, I'm not sure this would have been enough for Crabtree. Of course, nobody know what was asked for, and offered at that point. This could have been a reasonable compromise, and this was offered by one party and rejected by the other, then the rejecting party will be the loser in the end.

I just don't think it will happen. The Niners have leaked their position that they will not move out of the tenth overall slot, and Crabtree is not going to cave.

So, this is simply not going to happen. I don't see either side caving. Both have dug in, and both are bound to save face.

As stated for some time now, only a unique contract, in which both sides can claim victory, and save face, is the only hope.

Yep, it's all about pride and saving face at this point. Pretty sad that it is impossible for the 49ers to compromise. If they "cave" then everybody in the future just holds out till they get what they want, right?. As a salesman that's a pathetic excuse really. You can't judge every deal like the other. I had a bad feeling from the beginning when I heard Eugene Parker was Crabtree's agent. The 49ers aren't use to the strong arm agent types. This is really an example of a young front office. They should have seen it coming and given themselves some wiggle room but that was not the case.

This is just really, really sad. A lose, lose, lose situation, for Crabtree, the 9ers, and especially the fans. Just sad.

If he enters next years draft and is (most likely) drafted in a lower spot then where he is currently at, he will be making less money then what we are offering. Whats the point in that...if he wants the highest $$$ value this contract is his best bet to make the most money. I don't see him going before pick 15-18 next year and it will be for less money! This doesn't make sense to me.
This is simply a matter of two conflicting business philosophies trying to merge into one entity. Both sides have strong arguments and both are dealing for perceived strengths.

If there is a villain in this, it is the fans who are going out of their way to spew derogatory, vile pieces of profanity in the direction of a young man who has been given some terrible advice from those around him. These few souls, who have invested many long years of emotion into a team who has given back little over the past decade are pouring out their frustrations in a worthless gesture of perceived manhood.

Crabtree and his agent along with the 49ers have reached an impasse. Whether or not it is settled by the November date, the season starts tomorrow and we have a team we need to support and players we should be thrilled about. One great tackle from Willis, One great catch by any one will herald a fresh start. We are 0-0 with Superbowl dreams, like all fans we think we can get to the playoffs and beyound today. Tomorrow we get a glimpse of the team we have, why waste the time in search of the team we don't.
Using the idea that Crabtree "compartmentalizes his tasks" as a reason for why he's not responsible for the holdout is both ridiculous and laughable. He can end this holdout if he wants to.

[ Edited by Leathaface on Sep 12, 2009 at 08:00:58 ]

If he sits out this year he will never be an elite receiver. He will be one more year from free agency and would have to take a year off if the NFL goes to a lock out in 2011. That would be a bad business move all around. I hope he is just bluffing and not stupid.
Share 49ersWebzone