There are 212 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
he is going to start losing money starting Sunday and next year if he get 2 million signing bounce he will be lucky ! the only thing i am mad about is we lost our first pick 10th overall this year but for him it serve him right.
This debacle, no matter what side you choose to blame, will probably end McClaughan's tenure with the 49ers. With the exception of Patrick Willis, McClaughan has really dropped the ball in the first round and has really set us back. It will be interesting to see what happens after the season.

Mike Holmgren, come on down!
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
To me, the response by many on the board, is very disturbing. The attempt to make character assassinations on this kid is out of control at this point.

We've had comparisons to Randy Moss, who was arrested for a violent assault in college, was in trouble with the law for smoking marijuana, and more.
We have seen him characterized as "greedy", "selfish", "stubborn", and people have attempted to label his friends as a crime syndicate.
We have had many argue that he is a "diva", something that Eric Mangini (one of the least trustworthy guys in the NFL) stated.

And, on and on, the list goes.

So, the bottom line is that if anyone disagrees with Niners' management, the acceptable position is to attempt to smear their character, make them look like an arrogant, greedy, evil, bad person, who hangs out with criminals.

These people making these statements are the same ones that celebrated his selection in April, as one of the greatest gifts from the gods. And, I'm taking a wild guess here, they would not have made any of these inflammatory statements if he had simply agreed with Niners' management and signed on the dotted line.

I think we have come down to only a handful of people who can rationally argue the Niners' management position on this board, even though the Niners have a good argument. The majority seem to be resting their argument on Crabtree being vile. And that is pathetic.

I agree, everyone was so excited when we drafted him. But to the point, when do you see him signing Mad Dog. 1:14 tomorrow afternoon?

I don't see it happening. I think he's going to sit out this year, train like mad for the next draft, and try to prove the skeptics wrong on his speed.

If he was smart, he'd leave the Bay Area as soon as possible, and go train with Tom Shaw, who is one of the best combine and Pro Day trainers. He is probably the best at improving timed speeds, and if Crabtree can focus on working on all of these issues this season, and get him in the 4.40 area in his forty time (unlikely right now, but possible under Tom Shaw), he will only increase his value going into next season.

So Mad, you don't think the Niners will trade his rights to the highest bidder?

Yes, however it will have to be after a contract in principle is agreed upon by Crabtree and the team he is being traded to.

And so, those who have occupied themselves attempting to smear Crabtree's character should, in the end, cheer for him madly this season, so that the Niners can receive maximum compensation.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 12, 2009 at 08:25:42 ]
Originally posted by vermonator:
This debacle, no matter what side you choose to blame, will probably end McClaughan's tenure with the 49ers. With the exception of Patrick Willis, McClaughan has really dropped the ball in the first round and has really set us back. It will be interesting to see what happens after the season.

Are you kidding? If McC didn't draft Crabtree the entire fanbase, media, etc. would have been calling for his head. Did you see how ramped up everyone at the Niner draft party, and on these boards, were ramped up about him? McC took a top five talent that fell to ten. The only one to blame is Crabtree or his agent and perhaps Al Davis for over paying Heyward-Bey.
damnnnnnn 200 pages coming up.....
Originally posted by jreff22:
To me, the response by many on the board, is very disturbing. The attempt to make character assassinations on this kid is out of control at this point.

We've had comparisons to Randy Moss, who was arrested for a violent assault in college, was in trouble with the law for smoking marijuana, and more.
We have seen him characterized as "greedy", "selfish", "stubborn", and people have attempted to label his friends as a crime syndicate.
We have had many argue that he is a "diva", something that Eric Mangini (one of the least trustworthy guys in the NFL) stated.

So, the bottom line is that if anyone disagrees with Niners' management, the acceptable position is to attempt to smear their character, make them look like an arrogant, greedy, evil, bad person, who hangs out with criminals.

These people making these statements are the same ones that celebrated his selection in April, as one of the greatest gifts from the gods. And, I'm taking a wild guess here, they would not have made any of these inflammatory statements if he had simply agreed with Niners' management and signed on the dotted line.

I think we have come down to only a handful of people who can rationally argue the Niners' management position on this board, even though the Niners have a good argument. The majority seem to be resting their argument on Crabtree being vile. And that is pathetic.

I agree, everyone was so excited when we drafted him. But to the point, when do you see him signing Mad Dog. 1:14 tomorrow afternoon?

I don't see it happening. I think he's going to sit out this year, train like mad for the next draft, and try to prove the skeptics wrong on his speed.

If he was smart, he'd leave the Bay Area as soon as possible, and go train with Tom Shaw, who is one of the best combine and Pro Day trainers. He is probably the best at improving timed speeds, and if Crabtree can focus on working on all of these issues this season, and get him in the 4.40 area in his forty time (unlikely right now, but possible under Tom Shaw), he will only increase his value going into next season.

If he enters next years draft and is (most likely) drafted in a lower spot then where he is currently at, he will be making less money then what we are offering. Whats the point in that...if he wants the highest $$$ value this contract is his best bet to make the most money. I don't see him going before pick 15-18 next year and it will be for less money! This doesn't make sense to me.

I think the principle of this contract is just as important, or more important, than the final dollars and cents. A year removed from DHB would allow the process to start over again.

I think some team will make a deal for him before the draft, offer him a boatload of money (they don't have to worry about the "slotting" at that point), and their first rounder (so they have the rookie cap room).
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by vermonator:

Are you kidding? If McC didn't draft Crabtree the entire fanbase, media, etc. would have been calling for his head. Did you see how ramped up everyone at the Niner draft party, and on these boards, were ramped up about him? McC took a top five talent that fell to ten. The only one to blame is Crabtree or his agent and perhaps Al Davis for over paying Heyward-Bey.

Or the Niners for believing they could get a player of Crabtree's stature for a discount price. I was thousands of miles removed from the action, but saw this contract dispute as a strong possibility on draft day. Was Niners' management naive, arrogant, or incompetant, in that they did not see this coming?

If he sits out this year he will never be an elite receiver. He will be one more year from free agency and would have to take a year off if the NFL goes to a lock out in 2011. That would be a bad business move all around. I hope he is just bluffing and not stupid.

How can you make the statement that he will never be an elite receiver? It is a naive statement. We don't know what the future holds for the kid. He certainly has the talent. He could be a bust, and he could be an elite receiver.

If he enters next years draft and is (most likely) drafted in a lower spot then where he is currently at, he will be making less money then what we are offering. Whats the point in that...if he wants the highest $$$ value this contract is his best bet to make the most money. I don't see him going before pick 15-18 next year and it will be for less money! This doesn't make sense to me.

I think the principle of this contract is just as important, or more important, than the final dollars and cents. A year removed from DHB would allow the process to start over again.

I think some team will make a deal for him before the draft, offer him a boatload of money (they don't have to worry about the "slotting" at that point), and their first rounder (so they have the rookie cap room).

Wouldn't we (I'm guessing here) get their 1st rounder in return? He is a first round talent so if you want him that's what its going to cost.
Originally posted by BigRon:
This is simply a matter of two conflicting business philosophies trying to merge into one entity. Both sides have strong arguments and both are dealing for perceived strengths.

If there is a villain in this, it is the fans who are going out of their way to spew derogatory, vile pieces of profanity in the direction of a young man who has been given some terrible advice from those around him. These few souls, who have invested many long years of emotion into a team who has given back little over the past decade are pouring out their frustrations in a worthless gesture of perceived manhood.

Crabtree and his agent along with the 49ers have reached an impasse. Whether or not it is settled by the November date, the season starts tomorrow and we have a team we need to support and players we should be thrilled about. One great tackle from Willis, One great catch by any one will herald a fresh start. We are 0-0 with Superbowl dreams, like all fans we think we can get to the playoffs and beyound today. Tomorrow we get a glimpse of the team we have, why waste the time in search of the team we don't.

Well-stated. Bravo! It is time for the team to move forward. This is simply a contract negotiation that seemed to have no final solution acceptable to both parties.

Of course, as we know, Crabtree is a baby-killer....wait, he just accepted the Niners' offer...he is a saint.

Wouldn't we (I'm guessing here) get their 1st rounder in return? He is a first round talent so if you want him that's what its going to cost.

It depends on if he can stay healthy and look terrific in the offseason.

He will be the second best receiver in the 2010 draft, so there will be value.
  • evil
  • Veteran

A year removed from football at that point. Teams don't HAVE to offer up a 1st, a lot will be based off of team needs and the value teams place upon Crabtree at that point. The 49ers will be foolish to not take the best offer on the table whatever it may be instead of playing hardball and standing pat on the idea that if you want him you need to offer a 1st round pick. Starting out high and asking for a 1st is the smart thing to do but if the best offer we get is a 2nd or 3rd we should take it.
so I still think he signs
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cNiner:
he is going to start losing money starting Sunday and next year if he get 2 million signing bounce he will be lucky ! the only thing i am mad about is we lost our first pick 10th overall this year but for him it serve him right.

If Deion was telling the truth he may get a generous contract next year should we be forced to trade him.
Maybe the 49ers will give crab the deal he wants on his B-day... which is Monday.
Share 49ersWebzone