LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Why The Heck Isn't Alex Smith Playing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NINERFORLIFE12:
Alex should definately start the final game, he needs the work. Have Alex play the first quarter and sleeper Nate play the final three.

It is not a big drop off if Smith gets hurt and Nate is the backup to Hill going into the season opener.

I agree. Smith is nothing more then a middle of the pack backup. If he doesn't get better he might as well be hurt. At this point I have no problem with Nate at # 2 to be honest.
Originally posted by mufasa76:
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
I rather see Nate Davis play anyways. He is better than Smith as far as skills are concerned. Nate just needs to play more.

I agree, it's breathe taking when Nate is playing - for some odd reason I feel he will become a solid QB for us, maybe the gem of the draft.....

Send Alex to the vikes for Tavares Jackson lol

lol. I watched Nate play in person last week in dallas and seriously, you could not even tell he is a rookie. granted he is playing against back-ups. But Nate has command in the pocket. A good feel for the game
he is not playing because the MAN is holding a brotha down
Originally posted by excelsior:
I cannot beleive how easy it is for you guys to conclude that Davis is the future. He may be, but he has a long way to go to prove how he functions during an entire game, against quality backups, against defenses designed to frustrate his perceived weaknesses. And how will he react to critical situations? Remember how he "threw it up for grabs" last week? Many of you were the same guys who were convinced O'Sullivan was the man, and we know how that turned out.

Cool your jets.

That ball "up for grabs" was the only option available. Anything else would have been a safety, including intentional grounding. It was a ball only two guys could get to, and it worked in our favor. Gamble yes, but great, quick decision, if you ask me. If you looked at our qb situation lately, Davis gives us all a reason to hope we do have a gem. He already can make better decisions than Alex, who STILL has to learn this offense. We all know what we get with Alex, so no use playing him. Drop Nate in there, and he makes s**t happen. We niner fans are hungry for a QB. A real QB.
its simple guys!

Singletary does not want to waste anymore snaps/playing time on Smith(bust).. so he put him on the injury list and is giving Davis more time to develop as the future 49ers QB!

if your the coach would you not sit your scrub players and give time to the younger more talented guys?
Originally posted by TheCatch:
I cannot beleive how easy it is for you guys to conclude that Davis is the future. He may be, but he has a long way to go to prove how he functions during an entire game, against quality backups, against defenses designed to frustrate his perceived weaknesses. And how will he react to critical situations? Remember how he "threw it up for grabs" last week? Many of you were the same guys who were convinced O'Sullivan was the man, and we know how that turned out.

Cool your jets.

That ball "up for grabs" was the only option available. Anything else would have been a safety, including intentional grounding. It was a ball only two guys could get to, and it worked in our favor. Gamble yes, but great, quick decision, if you ask me. If you looked at our qb situation lately, Davis gives us all a reason to hope we do have a gem. He already can make better decisions than Alex, who STILL has to learn this offense. We all know what we get with Alex, so no use playing him. Drop Nate in there, and he makes s**t happen. We niner fans are hungry for a QB. A real QB.

Off topic, but I was thinking to myself... If tom brady threw that pass, the announcers would probably say something like "what a great idea? Throw the pass near the sideline where it could be broken up, and attempt to draw the pass interference..." but because a rookie did it, they were like "terrible throw, bad idea..."
Right Smiths not playing because Sing thinks he sucks. That's exactly it dood. LOLZ.

It has nothing to do with the fact that we have 3 QBs both of whom are starting material (coaches words) and one of those guys is coming off a sprained thumb so why risk Injury when u don't need to?

I really question how some of you function at work or in relationships? Do u ever get promoted? Does anyone count on you to do anything that requires analysis? Seriously some of you noobs have the most asinine comments I've ever seen on the zone.

Sing - "we are keeping him out in order to prevent further injury and keep him ready for the season."

Zoner Noob- Dood I hatez Alecks and I wantzed hym gon butt now that hee iznt playeeng in wun meeningless gayme my panteez iz in twistez dood! Ahhhhh alecks suxorz dood. Tha leef strikez agehn. Ahhhh. Kant...saiiii...ehneeeeetheeeng....goood.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Who cares? More Nate Davis
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Don't think Smith not playing has anything to do with how Singletary feels about him. But one has to wonder why he doesn't get the snaps he needs when hes missed so much time. Its not like Smith played so much for so long that he doesn't need the reps in Preseason. They may know what they have from watching him this off season in training camp, but like Singletary has said: "All technique goes out the window, when there's flying bullets coming at you".
I think he should play too but I don't see what the fuss is about.

I think some noobs are just desperate to see Nate Davis do well since he's already taken over and dominated on their Madden franchise modes.

"it haz 2 happenz!"

Cool your jets.

Anyone that was convinced Sully was the man was off their rocker just as much as if people think Smith still has potential. Ludicrous I tell you. Davis however looks better than Alex ever did mechanics wise and has a better pocket presence and arm. Plus he's prototypical in size and it looks like he has a good feel for the game.

That being said Nate is a step up from Alex and I am 100% convinced that because of the ownership (Noobish but improving maybe) and their relationship with the GM is why Alex is still on the squad. It's just a lot of egg on your face if your number one overall pick with 24 million guaranteed is a 3rd string dime a dozen guy.

But remember guys it is Davis and his learning disability that could be an issue but Mr. Smith who scored high on his wonderlick but it looks like he has more issues than Davis. Should be most rookies playing tomorrow vs. San Diego, should be fun to watch though. Go Niners!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Don't think Smith not playing has anything to do with how Singletary feels about him. But one has to wonder why he doesn't get the snaps he needs when hes missed so much time. Its not like Smith played so much for so long that he doesn't need the reps in Preseason. They may know what they have from watching him this off season in training camp, but like Singletary has said: "All technique goes out the window, when there's flying bullets coming at you".

Thank you -- this is exactly the point of the initial question.
Learning disability or not, Nate is a baller. I gotta feeling that we'll see him on under center the regular season.

In the 2 pre-season games I've seen him play, he's already making better decisions, command in the huddle & awareness than Alexis "almost perfect wonderlink scoring champ" Smith.

[ Edited by NinerGold39 on Sep 4, 2009 at 09:47:44 ]
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

I really question how some of you function at work or in relationships? Do u ever get promoted? Does anyone count on you to do anything that requires analysis? Seriously some of you noobs have the most asinine comments I've ever seen on the zone.

Sing - "we are keeping him out in order to prevent further injury and keep him ready for the season."

Zoner Noob- Dood I hatez Alecks and I wantzed hym gon butt now that hee iznt playeeng in wun meeningless gayme my panteez iz in twistez dood! Ahhhhh alecks suxorz dood. Tha leef strikez agehn. Ahhhh. Kant...saiiii...ehneeeeetheeeng....goood.

Ironic. You are totally missing the point of the discussion. I'm not suggesting one way or the other whether Smith will be a good QB or should or should not be on this team.

I'm suggesting that given that he has proven nothing, needs the 'live' work (having only played in 32 games in his career), and given that his thumb is fine (Smith said 'I'm ready to go' and the team conceded that he would play if this was the regular season) and given that the actual risk of reinjury is miniscule (really, what are the odds that very thumb would be hit again?) and given that with the well-documented pass blocking weaknesses of our o-line there is a VERY strong chance Smith will have to play this year...

...it is a valid question why he isn't getting that much needed playing time tonight.

Extra reps for Davis are worthless to our success or failure this year. Listen -- if we get down to him at any point this season the season is lost, and an extra quarter of play tonight won't make one bit of difference.
  • iataj
  • Info N/A
Its simple, he is not playing because if he goes in a play a great game then annoncing hill as a starter will look premuture. The only reason Hill was annonced starter before Cowboy game is because Smith was hurt. If he was not hurt, Sung would have waited until after the game. Also Like it or not, at this point you cannot find a better backup QB then Smith for the niners.
Share 49ersWebzone