There are 224 users in the forums

Why The Heck Isn't Alex Smith Playing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by Xestenz:
Originally posted by Esco:
The team doesn't want to risk re injury in a meaningless game.

No such thing as a 'meangless game' to Smith's development. He has missed all of last year. He is still learning a new offense.

Since Alex Smith is injury prone, he should not take any hits. Of course, any game that he plays in soon becomes meaningless.

You DID see that block that Smith put on the would be tackler in Dallas didn't you? The one that he used his THROWING arm for??? A sprain is NORMAL it's not Smith's decision not to play it's COACHING decisions.

MAYBE they want to make absolutely freakin certain that we have a healthy VETERAN backup so in the event the Starter goes down we don't have to throw the rookie QB3 on the field...

...Hmmmmmm gee now when did we see that happen, again? Oh yeah '05.

Some of you guys should just stop watching Football altogether; you guys are the biggest group of people that are in the most desperate need of a blow job than anyone I know.

It's a meaningless preseason game for cryin out loud. Sep 12th it's for real and worth getting upset about if we implode against the Tards.

~Ceadder

Did you just call Smith a Veteran?? Geesh.

Hard to believe ain't it?

But yup he QUALIFIES as a Veteran I believe.

~Ceadder

WOOOOO HOOOOOOO I started the 7th page.

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 3, 2009 at 23:41:12 ]

No such thing as a 'meangless game' to Smith's development. He has missed all of last year. He is still learning a new offense.

Since Alex Smith is injury prone, he should not take any hits. Of course, any game that he plays in soon becomes meaningless.

You DID see that block that Smith put on the would be tackler in Dallas didn't you? The one that he used his THROWING arm for??? A sprain is NORMAL it's not Smith's decision not to play it's COACHING decisions.

MAYBE they want to make absolutely freakin certain that we have a healthy VETERAN backup so in the event the Starter goes down we don't have to throw the rookie QB3 on the field...

Some of you guys should just stop watching Football altogether; you guys are the biggest group of people that are in the most desperate need of a blow job than anyone I know.

It's a meaningless preseason game for cryin out loud. Sep 12th it's for real and worth getting upset about if we implode against the Tards.

~Ceadder

4 yrs in the NFL would qualify as a vet

Originally posted by WestCoast:

~Ceadder

raiders, @ the stick

My bad, I knew that. But still my bad.

Good lookin out WC.

Zone-->Me.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 3, 2009 at 23:50:44 ]
Hill may have a pea shooter for a passing arm, but he's still the better option as starting QB because he'll make fewer mistakes than Smith. I don't think Smith's passes are accurate enough to consistently hit the receiver in stride. Smith has poor mechanics, the inability to read defenses at the LOS, and takes too long selecting a receiver. Regardless, I believe the offense's success will be limited regardless of whether Hill or Smith is starting. Hopefully the defense can keep the games close this year and Nate Davis is ready to compete for the starting job next season.
He's not the starter...Hill will play a series or maybe two, then Davis for the rest of the game. Gotta remember, Davis hasn't had the reps Hill and Alex have, so now's a great opportunity to get him some more snaps. Besides, unless it's an emergency situation or later in the season if we're way behind or ahead, Davis most likely won't see much, if any PT during the regular season. Like Coach said, if it was a regular season game, Alex would be playing, if needed.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
6 pages of this thread, huh? Wow. You guys are awesome.

Over 33,000 posts. Now that is awesome.
Originally posted by Super5:

~Ceadder

Let's see, if he were a fighter ... he would be considered a JOURNEYMAN!
Originally posted by Super5:

He has only played in 32 games in those 4 years.

He needs the work. Get him in there.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
He's not the starter...Hill will play a series or maybe two, then Davis for the rest of the game. Gotta remember, Davis hasn't had the reps Hill and Alex have, so now's a great opportunity to get him some more snaps. Besides, unless it's an emergency situation or later in the season if we're way behind or ahead, Davis most likely won't see much, if any PT during the regular season. Like Coach said, if it was a regular season game, Alex would be playing, if needed.

Because we aren't playing our third string QB in the fourth preseason game... sheesh!

I rather see Nate Davis play anyways. He is better than Smith as far as skills are concerned. Nate just needs to play more.
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
I rather see Nate Davis play anyways. He is better than Smith as far as skills are concerned. Nate just needs to play more.

I agree, it's breathe taking when Nate is playing - for some odd reason I feel he will become a solid QB for us, maybe the gem of the draft.....

Send Alex to the vikes for Tavares Jackson lol
Alex should definately start the final game, he needs the work. Have Alex play the first quarter and sleeper Nate play the final three.

It is not a big drop off if Smith gets hurt and Nate is the backup to Hill going into the season opener.
I cannot beleive how easy it is for you guys to conclude that Davis is the future. He may be, but he has a long way to go to prove how he functions during an entire game, against quality backups, against defenses designed to frustrate his perceived weaknesses. And how will he react to critical situations? Remember how he "threw it up for grabs" last week? Many of you were the same guys who were convinced O'Sullivan was the man, and we know how that turned out.

Cool your jets.
I'd say that it's cause we know what Smith brings to the table. Smith has played in something like 40 NFL games and has some (maybe not great) experience. Giving Davis extra time (even in pre-season) will help him develop more then giving that time to Smith.
Share 49ersWebzone