There are 166 users in the forums

Why The Heck Isn't Alex Smith Playing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith sucks. He needs all the practice he can get.

I'd honestly rather have Nate Davis as our backup to Shaun Hill.

Starter = Shaun Hill
Backup= Nate Davis
Third String = Alex Bust

Wow. Someone is seriously short sighted.
I am intrigued by a possible scenario:

Singletary was going to declare Smith the season's starter after the Oakland game, because over the course of training camp, Smith showed more of what they wanted than Hill did. However, when Smith turned up with a right thumb injury (one that required an X-ray), Singletary couldn't declare Smith the season's starter when it was possible that he would not be available to start the season.

So they did what they were forced to do: name Hill as the starter. If that is the true situation, then Smith is being handled carefully, to ensure his thumb is fully recovered if he is called upon to replace a struggling Hill.
Originally posted by excelsior:

Singletary was going to declare Smith the season's starter after the Oakland game, because over the course of training camp, Smith showed more of what they wanted than Hill did. However, when Smith turned up with a right thumb injury (one that required an X-ray), Singletary couldn't declare Smith the season's starter when it was possible that he would not be available to start the season.

So they did what they were forced to do: name Hill as the starter. If that is the true situation, then Smith is being handled carefully, to ensure his thumb is fully recovered if he is called upon to replace a struggling Hill.

That's what I was thinking.
Originally posted by Method:

Hill's pathetic game last week would certainly support this theory...
There's something fishy about the Alex thumb thing. He didn't even come out of the game right away after injuring the thumb, in fact he continued to throw the ball.

It reminds me of when Shaun had that "sore shoulder" last year. I don't think Alex is bad hurt, but he's to miss two preseason games? This guy needs all the tuning he can get.

Doesn't add up to me.
Originally posted by aiiyiiyiii:
There's something fishy about the Alex thumb thing. He didn't even come out of the game right away after injuring the thumb, in fact he continued to throw the ball.

It reminds me of when Shaun had that "sore shoulder" last year. I don't think Alex is bad hurt, but he's to miss two preseason games? This guy needs all the tuning he can get.

Doesn't add up to me.

Agreed.

Either he's going to be traded, or excelsior's theory is correct.

Definitely think it's the latter.

[ Edited by Leathaface on Sep 3, 2009 at 23:09:31 ]
He's still working undercover on his mechanics.

Betcha anything.
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by Xestenz:
Originally posted by Esco:
The team doesn't want to risk re injury in a meaningless game.

No such thing as a 'meangless game' to Smith's development. He has missed all of last year. He is still learning a new offense.

Since Alex Smith is injury prone, he should not take any hits. Of course, any game that he plays in soon becomes meaningless.

You DID see that block that Smith put on the would be tackler in Dallas didn't you? The one that he used his THROWING arm for??? A sprain is NORMAL it's not Smith's decision not to play it's COACHING decisions.

MAYBE they want to make absolutely freakin certain that we have a healthy VETERAN backup so in the event the Starter goes down we don't have to throw the rookie QB3 on the field...

...Hmmmmmm gee now when did we see that happen, again? Oh yeah '05.

Some of you guys should just stop watching Football altogether; you guys are the biggest group of people that are in the most desperate need of a blow job than anyone I know.

It's a meaningless preseason game for cryin out loud. Sep 12th it's for real and worth getting upset about if we implode against the Tards.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 3, 2009 at 23:14:35 ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

No such thing as a 'meangless game' to Smith's development. He has missed all of last year. He is still learning a new offense.

Since Alex Smith is injury prone, he should not take any hits. Of course, any game that he plays in soon becomes meaningless.

You DID see that block that Smith put on the would be tackler in Dallas didn't you? The one that he used his THROWING arm for??? A sprain is NORMAL it's not Smith's decision not to play it's COACHING decisions.

MAYBE they want to make absolutely freakin certain that we have a healthy VETERAN backup so in the event the Starter goes down we don't have to throw the rookie QB3 on the field...

Some of you guys should just stop watching Football altogether; you guys are the biggest group of people that are in the most desperate need of a blow job than anyone I know.

It's a meaningless preseason game for cryin out loud. Sep 12th it's for real and worth getting upset about if we implode against the Tards.

~Ceadder

Did you just call Smith a Veteran?? Geesh.

6 pages of this thread, huh? Wow. You guys are awesome.
Originally posted by susweel:
Because he is already too good and doesn't need the practice.

No,you got it all wrong,Shaun "flutterball" Hill is the one who is too good and shouldn't do any more fluttering untill the regular season opener

Originally posted by Method:

I like it, but still think that Nate Nate is the fewture
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
6 pages of this thread, huh? Wow. You guys are awesome.

of course, its an a. smith thread
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

raiders, @ the stick
Share 49ersWebzone