LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Why The Heck Isn't Alex Smith Playing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He threw 50-70 passes the other day without pain and proclaimed himself 'ready to go':

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/01/SPVM19GH5N.DTL

According to Maiocco, he would play 'if this was a regular season game':

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/09/singletary-says-only-1-or-2-jobs-on-the-line-in-finale.html

I'm sorry, but Alex Smith has absolutely NOT earned the veteran's right of taking off the entire last exhibition game. You can't tell me he doesn't need the work. And as only the backup, what real threat to the regular season opener would there be if anything more happened to the thumb (very unlikely as that actually is)?

Don't waste any more opportunties. Get his a$$ out there and get him the reps he needs to have any hope of ever becoming a successful QB.

[ Edited by Xestenz on Sep 3, 2009 at 17:00:13 ]
maybe they like Nate the Great better
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
The team doesn't want to risk re injury in a meaningless game.
Originally posted by Esco:

No such thing as a 'meangless game' to Smith's development. He has missed all of last year. He is still learning a new offense.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Xestenz:

No such thing as a 'meangless game' to Smith's development. He has missed all of last year. He is still learning a new offense.

When we have 3 QB's and one of them is a rookie then I'd say it was meaningless.
just add injured prone to the list of Smiths skills!
  • Adman
  • Veteran
Why risk hurting his finger and seeing more from him when he is already def on the 53-man roster.

[ Edited by Adman on Sep 3, 2009 at 17:04:21 ]

When we have 3 QB's and one of them is a rookie then I'd say it was meaningless.

this

Since Alex Smith is injury prone, he should not take any hits. Of course, any game that he plays in soon becomes meaningless.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Because he is already too good and doesn't need the practice.

Originally posted by Bobbi9698:

Since Alex Smith is injury prone, he should not take any hits. Of course, any game that he plays in soon becomes meaningless.

lulz

its because his hands are too small for the NFL, duh
Originally posted by susweel:
Because he is already too good and doesn't need the practice.

Not sure what that means. Better to try to continue to develop your former 1st round pick -- still with question marks, coming off a major injury, learning a new offense, and one play away from actually starting for and leading the 49ers -- or better to give a 5th round rookie some extra reps, who if he has to start a single game this year means we are already screwed?

Not sure what that means. Better to try to continue to develop your former 1st round pick -- still with question marks, coming off a major injury, learning a new offense, and one play away from actually starting for and leading the 49ers -- or better to give a 5th round rookie some extra reps, who if he has to start a single game this year means we are already screwed?

Alex, is that you
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame

I don't understand what you don't understand about the possible re-injury of our backup QB in a exhibition game right before the real games start.
Share 49ersWebzone