Why The Heck Isn't Alex Smith Playing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by Xestenz:
The team doesn't want to risk re injury in a meaningless game.

No such thing as a 'meangless game' to Smith's development. He has missed all of last year. He is still learning a new offense.

When we have 3 QB's and one of them is a rookie then I'd say it was meaningless.

Not sure what that means. Better to try to continue to develop your former 1st round pick -- still with question marks, coming off a major injury, learning a new offense, and one play away from actually starting for and leading the 49ers -- or better to give a 5th round rookie some extra reps, who if he has to start a single game this year means we are already screwed?

I don't understand what you don't understand about the possible re-injury of our backup QB in a exhibition game right before the real games start.

so its ok for shaun hill to play but not alex?

hmmm....interesting.

you would think Alex would get one series.

if he is not playing because the injury is worse than they want everyone think....then we are in trouble if something happens to Shaun in the 1st 2 games.... I love Nate, but I don't see the coaches allowing Nate to throw much....and we would just run, run, and run more so than we already do . If Alex is indeed not ready to go.....then this is totally unprofessional of the team to go to the regular season like this......especially letting Huard go..... but if Alex is indeed fine.... then he NEEDS to get atleast one series......I mean he hasn't played in 2 years...it doesn't make sense.
I am not an Alex Smith supporter either but give the man a break! Most of you don't know what it's like to have an injured thumb.

I have a pinch nerve in my thumb and it comes and goes, and when it hurts ... it really hurts to the point where it feels like someone is sticking a needle into it.

You don't want to further aggravate his injury to the point where it becomes a permanent injury just for the sake of playing one preseason game.

Most of us would like to see what Nate Davis can do playing with the 1st team offense and this is the best opportunity for him to do it in.

Who knows, it may come to the point where HE WILL NEED to come in and play if for some reason Hill gets injured and Smith is still nursing a bad thumb.

The more experience he gets playing the better off the 49er's will be if and when that time comes!

To be fair, let Smith heal and judge his progress or non progress based on him being healthy. If he sucks at that point then there will be NO excuses! And maybe ... just maybe all the Alex die hard supporter will begin to see the light!

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Sep 3, 2009 at 18:51:31 ]
Originally posted by backontop:

No I just answered the ONLY question asked. And to answer the question that was never asked. No he shouldn't play because the coaches said "Alex you're not playing in the last preseason game"

No -- you actually answered a single interpretation of the question -- but we can leave both sense and connotation out of it, if that is easier.

what ever floats your boat

No I just answered the ONLY question asked. And to answer the question that was never asked. No he shouldn't play because the coaches said "Alex you're not playing in the last preseason game"

No -- you actually answered a single interpretation of the question -- but we can leave both sense and connotation out of it, if that is easier.

Hey look -- I can use that smiley too!

Does that give my posts unwarranted gravitas as well?
Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:
Alex Smith is the established backup on this team and he's recovering from a injury. There is nothing to gain from playing him in a game that only means something to bubble players trying to show they belong to on the final roster. Why risk losing him for an extended period because some guy that will be bagging groceries next week gets a free shot at him. Don't forget, very few of our starting olinemen will probably play either.

Amen. Thank you. I don't know why this is such a big deal. I guess some guys miss Chris Weinke.

Hey look -- I can use that smiley too!

Does that give my posts unwarranted gravitas as well?

thats pretty cool that you can use that smiley. Does that change the fact that Smith isn't playing?

thats pretty cool that you can use that smiley. Does that change the fact that Smith isn't playing?

No -- but it doesn't answer the (implied) question of why, which given that he has:

a) everything to prove as a QB in the NFL
b) not shown that he knows a new system
c) hasn't faced much of a real pass rush in earnest in 12 months
d) needs looks in 'live' setting
e) has proclaimed himself 'ready to go'
f) has proven that by throwing multiple passes and working out for the last week
g) the real chance of reinjury is miniscule at best (more chance of a new injury happening)

I believe it is an interesting question.

You do not. That is okay.

No -- but it doesn't answer the (implied) question of why, which given that he has:

f) has proven that by throwing multiple passes and working out for the last week
g) the real chance of reinjury is miniscule at best (more chance of a new injury happening)

You can get mad all you want, it still doesn't change the fact that he IS NOT GOING TO PLAY THIS WEEK!! I am sure the coaches have their reasons for sitting him. Nobody on this board will know that reason and all we can do is speculate(and get upset like some are in this thread. Names shall not be thrown out as I am sure everyone has already figured it out). I am sure everyone would like for him to get some extra reps to keep improving and continue his development, but the reality is that is not happening. And the rest are still praying every night to their God that he gets cut like good little "fans" should.

You can get mad all you want, it still doesn't change the fact that he IS NOT GOING TO PLAY THIS WEEK!! I am sure the coaches have their reasons for sitting him. Nobody on this board will know that reason and all we can do is speculate(and get upset like some are in this thread. Names shall not be thrown out as I am sure everyone has already figured it out). I am sure everyone would like for him to get some extra reps to keep improving and continue his development, but the reality is that is not happening. And the rest are still praying every night to their God that he gets cut like good little "fans" should.

THIS POST IS HILARIOUS hahaha
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Thank you thank you I will be here all week.

you know I disagree with you... and you know he is not really mad.....but still very funny

I used to hate when my cousin would do that to me...

cousin..."why are you getting mad"

me.."I'm not mad...but stop saying that I'm MAD WTF?".....

cousin..."See, you're getting mad"...

me "Fuuuuuuuuuuuu"

you know I disagree with you... and you know he is not really mad.....but still very funny

I used to hate when my cousin would do that to me...

cousin..."why are you getting mad"

me.."I'm not mad...but stop saying that I'm MAD WTF?".....

cousin..."See, you're getting mad"...

me "Fuuuuuuuuuuuu"

That is ok you don't have to agree even though there is really nothing to disagree with. All I am saying is there is nothing that you can do to make Smith play so why get upset over it. Do I think he should be playing if he himself is saying he is good to go. Of course, but am I going to get all butthurt over it and cry about it on an internet forum? Hellz no! There is no point.
Couple of things...

The goal of the last pre-season game is to get out healthy, and have a loooong look at the back-ups and 3rd string guys. Practice and development time for key players(yes the back-up QB is a key player like it or not) was what the last three games and the rest of training camp was for.

Also, I'm quite sure that Singletary knew he was going to keep Alex out this week. He also cut Damon Huard in the same week. So it's quite possible that what is happening here, has more to do with what Singletary wants to see from Nate Davis, than it does with Alex Smith.
maybe they wanna see more of nate

That is ok you don't have to agree even though there is really nothing to disagree with. All I am saying is there is nothing that you can do to make Smith play so why get upset over it. Do I think he should be playing if he himself is saying he is good to go. Of course, but am I going to get all butthurt over it and cry about it on an internet forum? Hellz no! There is no point.

Okay -- the passrush sucks. Nothing we can do. Why talk or strategize?

Our QBs are mediocre at best. Nothing we can do. Why talk or wish for something better?

We have unproven talent and depth at wideout. Nothing we can do. What is there to talk about?

No proven right tackle. Oh well, the team has made their decisions.

Crabtree hasn't signed. Nothing we can do about it. Let's focus on what we can control as fans.

Candlestick is crumbling around us. Out of our hands. There is no point.

Looked at from this (your) perspective, no point in having a 9ertalk at all.

[ Edited by Xestenz on Sep 3, 2009 at 19:57:05 ]
Share 49ersWebzone