There are 183 users in the forums

Why The Heck Isn't Alex Smith Playing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Xestenz:
Originally posted by backontop:

That is ok you don't have to agree even though there is really nothing to disagree with. All I am saying is there is nothing that you can do to make Smith play so why get upset over it. Do I think he should be playing if he himself is saying he is good to go. Of course, but am I going to get all butthurt over it and cry about it on an internet forum? Hellz no! There is no point.

Okay -- the passrush sucks. Nothing we can do. Why talk or strategize?

Our QBs are mediocre at best. Nothing we can do. Why talk or wish for something better?

We have unproven talent and depth at wideout. Nothing we can do. What is there to talk about?

No proven right tackle. Oh well, the team has made their decisions.

Crabtree hasn't signed. Nothing we can do about it. Let's focus on what we can control as fans.

Candlestick is crumbling around us. Out of our hands. There is no point.

Looked at from this (your) perspective, no point in having a 9ertalk at all.

is talking in NT changing any of those? Nope unless you are secretly a coach and you're so damn clueless you are visiting NT for new ideas. But hey if crying about it makes you feel like you are changing the team then by all means get mad and cry away.

That is ok you don't have to agree even though there is really nothing to disagree with. All I am saying is there is nothing that you can do to make Smith play so why get upset over it. Do I think he should be playing if he himself is saying he is good to go. Of course, but am I going to get all butthurt over it and cry about it on an internet forum? Hellz no! There is no point.

Our QBs are mediocre at best. Nothing we can do. Why talk or wish for something better?

We have unproven talent and depth at wideout. Nothing we can do. What is there to talk about?

Crabtree hasn't signed. Nothing we can do about it. Let's focus on what we can control as fans.

is talking in NT changing any of those? Nope unless you are secretly a coach and you're so damn clueless you are visiting NT for new ideas. But hey if crying about it makes you feel like you are changing the team then by all means get mad and cry away.

Why don't you go play your Nintendo, then?

Smith should play, bottom line.
Alex Smith sucks. He needs all the practice he can get.

I'd honestly rather have Nate Davis as our backup to Shaun Hill.

Starter = Shaun Hill
Backup= Nate Davis
Third String = Alex Bust

do you not know how to read?? I have already stated that I agreed that he should play but I am not going to get all butthurt and cry about it in an internet forum. But I guess you were to blind to actually pay attention to read what was actually written during your blind rage of hatred for anyone that you assume disagrees with you. Maybe one day you will grow up and being able to comprehend what poeple are writing.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith sucks. He needs all the practice he can get.

I'd honestly rather have Nate Davis as our backup to Shaun Hill.

Starter = Shaun Hill
Backup= Nate Davis
Third String = Alex Bust

Nate is definitely the future as of right now. Though I wouldn't feel comfortable with him being the backup this season.
Patriots are resting Tom Brady for the last preseason game. Colts are doing the same with Peyton Manning. So it only makes sense for the 49ers to rest Alex Smith.

do you not know how to read?? I have already stated that I agreed that he should play but I am not going to get all butthurt and cry about it in an internet forum. But I guess you were to blind to actually pay attention to read what was actually written during your blind rage of hatred for anyone that you assume disagrees with you. Maybe one day you will grow up and being able to comprehend what poeple are writing.

Calm down brother - you are getting all worked up. Nobody is upset here -- least of all me ('blind rage of hatred', that's too much!) I must be blind, for I never once saw you actually say he should play.

My bad.
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Patriots are resting Tom Brady for the last preseason game. Colts are doing the same with Peyton Manning. So it only makes sense for the 49ers to rest Alex Smith.

Noo.... actually, if the sequence you set up were the case, we should rest Shaun Hill (our starter), not Alex Smith.

Alex Smith is a backup. However you wanna call it, number 2 as Singletary calls it, whatever.

Backups play in preseason, starters rest. Alex Smith is a backup QB.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran

that is damn funny.

Because the coaches are trying to do a trade with Alex Smith and they don't want Alex to go in the game and make his value even lower than it already is.
Originally posted by bigmike55:

Noo.... actually, if the sequence you set up were the case, we should rest Shaun Hill (our starter), not Alex Smith.

Alex Smith is a backup. However you wanna call it, number 2 as Singletary calls it, whatever.

Backups play in preseason, starters rest. Alex Smith is a backup QB.

Actually the 49ers comparison to Manning or Brady, would be Gore. He is the focus of our offense as Manning and Brady are to their offenses.

Certainly back-ups do play in the pre-season... However, if they are nicked up it is not uncommon for them to sit the final pre-season game. Playing through injuries is for the regular season.

Have I mentioned Arnaz Battle is not playing. He's not a starter by the way...

I think the OP has a point, and I'm sure it was considered by the coaching staff. I don't think it would be a poor decision if he played or if he didn't. As is often the case in the last pre-season game it seems they made the safe decision. Hardly surprising.

What is surprising is the amount of hate for Alex Smith on this forum. I get a good laugh out of these threads.

I picture a bunch of dudes sitting in their 3 day old underwear, in dimly lit rooms with their laptop. The walls are covered with newspaper articles and pictures of Alex Smith, with darts, knives, and other sharp objects stuck into them. Covering the only window is a giant piece of construction paper with the words. DIE ALEX DIE! Bobble head Alex dolls cover the lone shelf with burnt wax covering half the doll and needles protruding from it's eyes... Seriously guys, some of the hate towards Alex is a little creepy...

BTW-bigmike55 That last part was not directed at you. I haven't seen enough of your posts about Alex to know how you feel. Just a general observation.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Another well formed opinion in Niner Talk.
they should start smith so he has a better chance of getting injured before he has a chance to lose us a regular season game
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by Esco:
The team doesn't want to risk re injury in a meaningless game.

No such thing as a 'meangless game' to Smith's development. He has missed all of last year. He is still learning a new offense.

Since Alex Smith is injury prone, he should not take any hits. Of course, any game that he plays in soon becomes meaningless.

== TRUE!
Share 49ersWebzone