Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by frankie:
Everyone knows "he could."

But no one knows if "he will."

Zone fortunetellers like to think they know, but don't. We'll have to wait and see. It's useless to say "Stop bashing" -- what do you expect? It doesn't matter what kind of "possibilities" you present. Opinions are going to stay the same for now. People did the same to Bradshaw. He turned things around. Time will only tell if Alex can do the same.

What do I think? I think he can. Maybe not Hall of Fame level, but I certainly do think he has a chance to be something special in this league. A chance. That's all.

Ya just summed it all up perfectly!

NICE

I think we'd all love the armchair coaches and GMs -- the cynics -- to be proven wrong. Because what would that mean? It'd mean we'd not only be winning, but we'd have our franchise QB.

Be prepared, your going to get burned at the stake for making sense.
Originally posted by frankie:
Everyone knows "he could."

But no one knows if "he will."

Zone fortunetellers like to think they know, but don't. We'll have to wait and see. It's useless to say "Stop bashing" -- what do you expect? It doesn't matter what kind of "possibilities" you present. Opinions are going to stay the same for now. People did the same to Bradshaw. He turned things around. Time will only tell if Alex can do the same.

What do I think? I think he can. Maybe not Hall of Fame level, but I certainly do think he has a chance to be something special in this league. A chance. That's all.

Ya just summed it all up perfectly!

NICE

I think we'd all love the armchair coaches and GMs -- the cynics -- to be proven wrong. Because what would that mean? It'd mean we'd not only be winning, but we'd have our franchise QB.

Yup we would be winning, and things would be all good. The only thing is we don't have the slightest idea. But ya gotta admit some peoples arguements are pretty good. But the fact is, unless your the negrodomis or cleo. Or even that sylvia brown lol ya just can't tell. We are more or less playing the odds. Which still makes it hard to tell.

My fav arguement tho is this. In 4 yrs smith hasn't done s**t. Lol he has been on ir or injured for 2 seasons. His rookie yr is a wash so the base their arguement on 1 season! But include all 4 ha ha. But hey, its a forum and that's what the zone is for ha ha gotta love it
One more time, because it appears some of you have forgotten the facts:

Bradshaw had a 38% completions in his first year. He threw for 6 td's and a whopping 24 interceptions. I think he was 3-8 in his starts.

71: 13 td's and 22 interceptions and a losing record. (Would people around here be calling him "Terry Leaf?" I'm guessing yes.)

72: Steelers went 13-3! Bradshaw threw 12 td's and 12 interceptions. But, they had built quite a team around him and the rest is history.

Let's be honest. If the niners drafted a QB #1 and he proceeded to throw 46 interceptions in his first two years, many of you would absolutely consider him a bust.
  • DJD
  • Veteran
The dude merely said their careers have started much the same and that he has HOPE that Alex can turn it around. We should ALL be in that camp.

There is reason enough to believe there is a chance he will as well. If you look back rationally Alex was doing pretty darned good in 06 closing out the season with road win vs the Division winning Hawks and then knocking the Broncos out of the playoffs. Then in 07 even with Hostler and Nolan calling the shots he still managed to win the first 2 games and even put up a good fight on the road in Pittsburgh. THEN he got hurt and has been ever since, until now. MOST of the Alex hate kicked into high gear from the games he was made to play AFTER he got hurt.

Now I'm not saying he WILL turn this thing around. I'm saying there is reason for HOPE and again we should all be HOPING he be successful. Like others have so well pointed out, it will mean a winning niner team with a frachise QB in place.
[ Edited by DJD on Jul 8, 2009 at 8:16 AM ]
  • DJD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
One more time, because it appears some of you have forgotten the facts:

Bradshaw had a 38% completions in his first year. He threw for 6 td's and a whopping 24 interceptions. I think he was 3-8 in his starts.

71: 13 td's and 22 interceptions and a losing record. (Would people around here be calling him "Terry Leaf?" I'm guessing yes.)

72: Steelers went 13-3! Bradshaw threw 12 td's and 12 interceptions. But, they had built quite a team around him and the rest is history.

Let's be honest. If the niners drafted a QB #1 and he proceeded to throw 46 interceptions in his first two years, many of you would absolutely consider him a bust.

I was born in 71 and I'm something of an old timer around here. Sorta tuff to forget what you never were around to know in the first place :). Thank you for the breakdown!! Amazing stats there.
It is kind of amazing, isn't it. 46 interceptions in his first two years??!! As someone has already pointed out, it just shows how much of a team game this is. By his third year, they had put together a hell of a team around him and even though he threw 12 TD's and 12 ints, they went 11-3 and dominated the league for the rest of the decade. I've always thought Bradshaw was a very good QB, but nobody at that position ever benefited so much from the team around him. They had a powerful running game and a scary defense.
haha, no way is this argument valid....

the first year he barely played, 9 games...

every year after that he has a qb rating of 80 +, and he throws more touchdowns that interceptions.

I'm sorry, but anyone who throws 1 td to 11 interceptions is just not cut out for the nfl.
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:

every year after that he has a qb rating of 80 +, and he throws more touchdowns that interceptions.

I'm sorry, but anyone who throws 1 td to 11 interceptions is just not cut out for the nfl.

Oh, but don't you know? We don't count that rookie year.

Or the last two seasons either, just forget about him being injury prone, we're only talking games here.

And you can probably throw out most of his bad games from 2006 too, those were most likely due to bad weather or Kwame Harris or something.

So when you really boil it down, it's clear that Alex is far better than the likes of Terry Bradshaw and Steve Young.

The point is anyone like you could have said, "I'm sorry, but anyone who completes just 38% of his passes and throws 6 td's against 24 int's is just not cut out for the nfl."

And then, someone like you might have said, "why are they starting him in his second year after that horrible performance in his 8 starts."

Then, after he threw for 13 td's against 22 INT's the second year with a losing record, someone like you might have said, "see, I told you he's a bust."
Originally posted by Apples:

Or the last two seasons either, just forget about him being injury prone, we're only talking games here.

And you can probably throw out most of his bad games from 2006 too, those were most likely due to bad weather or Kwame Harris or something.

So when you really boil it down, it's clear that Alex is far better than the likes of Terry Bradshaw and Steve Young.

What drama queens some of you are. Nobody has even suggested that Smith is better than Young or Bradshaw. Again, for the more mentally challenged among you, I'm just pointing out that by using your standards of judgement for Smith, you would have been calling Bradshaw a bust after two years. And, after the 72 season, when they went 11-3 with Bradshaw throwing as many interceptions as TD's, you would have been saying the team was successful IN SPITE of Bradshaw.

Don't knock Alex; he's 11-0 (perfect) for games he started and the team won...
And, by the way, I KNOW this is all true because I was there and that's exactly what some fans were saying about Terry Bradshaw. And that's not all. He was subjected to a massive mean-spirited verbal barrage that questioned his intelligence and character. They called him stupid and they called him a "hillbilly." He went on to have a fabulous career so all of this is mostly forgotten. But, it happened.

+1
Originally posted by BrodieFan:

What drama queens some of you are. Nobody has even suggested that Smith is better than Young or Bradshaw. Again, for the more mentally challenged among you, I'm just pointing out that by using your standards of judgement for Smith, you would have been calling Bradshaw a bust after two years. And, after the 72 season, when they went 11-3 with Bradshaw throwing as many interceptions as TD's, you would have been saying the team was successful IN SPITE of Bradshaw.

I don't know why people are so afraid to say it... I would have called Bradshaw a bust after his second or 3rd year. I still don't think he was that great of a QB but he did improve somewhat as time went on.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Don't knock Alex; he's 11-0 (perfect) for games he started and the team won...

Share 49ersWebzone