Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Apples:
And now we're comparing Alex Smith to Terry Bradshaw...

I think it's time for me to hibernate until week 1, I can't take this anymore.

What is wrong with that?They were both first picks,and they both started out slow on bad teams?I remember Cosell calling him the #1 bust prior to doing an interview with him,but he turned it around.I know that you guys that hate Smith know more than everyone else that thinks that he can turn it around,so sweet dreams see ya when the season starts.

You know who else started out s**tty?

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

Alex Smith is more likely to turn into one of those guys than into Terry F*cking Bradshaw, gimme a break.

I never said he would turn into Bradshaw,hell I didn't even say it was likely,so don't try to twist my words son.My point is that you guys always bashing him are just being shortsighted if you think it is impossible for him to turn it around.Give yourself a break.

Calling him a bust after his rookie season would be shortsighted.

But after 4 years of sub-par play and injuries, I think it's safe to call him a bust.

If you can tell this after one full season,why the hell aren't you an NFL scout?I mean the GM and coach seem to think he isn't a bust,but what do they know,they are just a veteran NFL scout and a Hall of Fame player?I guess guys like you and Billy are just more knowledgeable about judging NFL talent than the guys that are getting paid to do it.You should send in your resume to Jed York and tell him you know how to pick sure fire NFL talent every time.Then when you get the job because of how qualified you are,you can make the decisions on player personnel.Once you weeded out all the non pro bowlers we could all enjoy having our whole team as the starters in the the pro bowl.That would give us one extra game after we won the Super Bowl every year.Of course then we would have to convert Candlestick into a warehouse to hold all the Superbowl trophies that your expert talent analysis would bring to the team.Man what a wonderful opportunity the San Francisco organization is missing out on...it makes one sad to know how bad they are handling the team when they could have you.

If Alex Smith was on any other team, you'd be calling him a bust.

Wow,on top of being a top notch talent evaluator you are a mind reader...man if only I was only 1/10th as talented as you are.Wait,is that how you know how to pick the talent,with your amazing mind reading skills?

You went from arguing your point to making feeble jokes.

In other words...you got nothin' and you know it.

Dude I am just responding to your absurdity in kind,nothing I said is one bit more ridiculous than the crap you posted.The difference is I was intentionally being facetious,and you are just making ridiculous claims.You my friend with your Hill compares to Warner thread have no room to talk about feeble jokes.Only reason you do not think it is funny is because it points out how idiotic your claim that Smith cannot possibly get any better is.
  • bret
  • Veteran
To get back to point: Terry Bradshaw was often accused of not being bright, but he had a good football intelligence. His problem was, he was a gunslinger--sort of a Brett Favre before Brett Favre. Teams could bait him into throwing interceptions by making a guy seem "just open enough" where a guy with a cannon-arm will feel obligated to try to squeeze it in. As he got older and wiser, he did the baiting.

With Alex, the opposite is his problem. Alex is definitely smart, but the question about him is his football intelligence. He waits a split second too long to make his read. If he can learn to do it faster, he will suddenly seem to have "it"--those intangibles everyone is talking about; if not, he will end up a bust. It's really as simple as hat!
Originally posted by bret:
To get back to point: Terry Bradshaw was often accused of not being bright, but he had a good football intelligence. His problem was, he was a gunslinger--sort of a Brett Favre before Brett Favre. Teams could bait him into throwing interceptions by making a guy seem "just open enough" where a guy with a cannon-arm will feel obligated to try to squeeze it in. As he got older and wiser, he did the baiting.

With Alex, the opposite is his problem. Alex is definitely smart, but the question about him is his football intelligence. He waits a split second too long to make his read. If he can learn to do it faster, he will suddenly seem to have "it"--those intangibles everyone is talking about; if not, he will end up a bust. It's really as simple as hat!

I agree with you. Smith's problem is he thinks to much while he is out on the field. When he has time he over analyzes(hahah I said anal) the defense instead of instinctivly reading and reacting. This is what his problem was in college and why his college coach said that he is not effective until he completly knows and understands the offense.

What is wrong with that?They were both first picks,and they both started out slow on bad teams?I remember Cosell calling him the #1 bust prior to doing an interview with him,but he turned it around.I know that you guys that hate Smith know more than everyone else that thinks that he can turn it around,so sweet dreams see ya when the season starts.

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

Alex Smith is more likely to turn into one of those guys than into Terry F*cking Bradshaw, gimme a break.

I never said he would turn into Bradshaw,hell I didn't even say it was likely,so don't try to twist my words son.My point is that you guys always bashing him are just being shortsighted if you think it is impossible for him to turn it around.Give yourself a break.

But after 4 years of sub-par play and injuries, I think it's safe to call him a bust.

If you can tell this after one full season,why the hell aren't you an NFL scout?I mean the GM and coach seem to think he isn't a bust,but what do they know,they are just a veteran NFL scout and a Hall of Fame player?I guess guys like you and Billy are just more knowledgeable about judging NFL talent than the guys that are getting paid to do it.You should send in your resume to Jed York and tell him you know how to pick sure fire NFL talent every time.Then when you get the job because of how qualified you are,you can make the decisions on player personnel.Once you weeded out all the non pro bowlers we could all enjoy having our whole team as the starters in the the pro bowl.That would give us one extra game after we won the Super Bowl every year.Of course then we would have to convert Candlestick into a warehouse to hold all the Superbowl trophies that your expert talent analysis would bring to the team.Man what a wonderful opportunity the San Francisco organization is missing out on...it makes one sad to know how bad they are handling the team when they could have you.

Wow,on top of being a top notch talent evaluator you are a mind reader...man if only I was only 1/10th as talented as you are.Wait,is that how you know how to pick the talent,with your amazing mind reading skills?

Dude I am just responding to your absurdity in kind,nothing I said is one bit more ridiculous than the crap you posted.The difference is I was intentionally being facetious,and you are just making ridiculous claims.You my friend with your Hill compares to Warner thread have no room to talk about feeble jokes.Only reason you do not think it is funny is because it points out how idiotic your claim that Smith cannot possibly get any better is.

He can't get any better, and he won't. He just doesn't have it. The faster we get rid of him, the better off we'll be.

You may find it ridiculous, but I think it's ridiculous that you still have hope for a guy who was drafted #1 and hasn't done anything for us in 4 years, injuries or not.

If this was any other guy on any other team drafted anywhere else other than #1 overall, the unanimous decision would be that he isn't a good player.

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

He can't get any better, and he won't. He just doesn't have it. The faster we get rid of him, the better off we'll be.

You may find it ridiculous, but I think it's ridiculous that you still have hope for a guy who was drafted #1 and hasn't done anything for us in 4 years, injuries or not.

If this was any other guy on any other team drafted anywhere else other than #1 overall, the unanimous decision would be that he isn't a good player.
this
Originally posted by billybonka:

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

this
Knock knock.....anybody beating on a dead horse?

come on man, i mean im an Alex supporter but lets just wait for training camp to begin and see how everything evolves...

go niners!
Originally posted by 9ermex:
Knock knock.....anybody beating on a dead horse?

come on man, i mean im an Alex supporter but lets just wait for training camp to begin and see how everything evolves...

go niners!

no but the alex leaf lovers will keep pulling alexcuses out of their asses.
Everyone knows "he could."

But no one knows if "he will."

Zone fortunetellers like to think they know, but don't. We'll have to wait and see. It's useless to say "Stop bashing" -- what do you expect? It doesn't matter what kind of "possibilities" you present. Opinions are going to stay the same for now. People did the same to Bradshaw. He turned things around. Time will only tell if Alex can do the same.

What do I think? I think he can. Maybe not Hall of Fame level, but I certainly do think he has a chance to be something special in this league. A chance. That's all.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Zone fortunetellers like to think they know, but don't. We'll have to wait and see. It's useless to say "Stop bashing" -- what do you expect? It doesn't matter what kind of "possibilities" you present. Opinions are going to stay the same for now. People did the same to Bradshaw. He turned things around. Time will only tell if Alex can do the same.

What do I think? I think he can. Maybe not Hall of Fame level, but I certainly do think he has a chance to be something special in this league. A chance. That's all.

Ya just summed it all up perfectly!

NICE

• Tyler82
  • Info N/A

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

I find it amazing/ridiculous how so many people think they have some inate ability to be able to judge Alex Smith's potential accuratly even after all the set backs (Nolan, mult OC's) he has had. I have to say if any one of you had scouting or GM ability then you would be one and not just flap your gums on how bad he is. I dont know if he will be great or not but until you guys are the deciding factors in reality and not in your fantasy land all your talk means nothing............oh and the hope is that the San Francisco 49ers and all the players on the team (INCLUDING SMITH) have great seasons because if they have a good season then logic points to us having a good season
Originally posted by frankie:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Ya just summed it all up perfectly!

NICE

I think we'd all love the armchair coaches and GMs -- the cynics -- to be proven wrong. Because what would that mean? It'd mean we'd not only be winning, but we'd have our franchise QB.
Share 49ersWebzone