LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 222 users in the forums

How Alex Smith Compares to Terry Bradshaw

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yesterday afternoon I was watching NFL Network. They were showing an NFL Films show about Terry Bradshaw. Bradshaw, like Alex Smith, was the #1 overall pick in the 1970 NFL Draft. In the first 4 years of his career, Terry had gone through very hard times while trying to live up to the expectations of being a #1 pick. The majority of Steelers fans criticized him and called him a bust. In fact, Howard Cosell even called Terry Bradshaw "the #1 bust" right before an interview. Bradshaw went on to revive his career and have success while choosing to stay with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Bradshaw was the first QB to win 4 SuperBowls. So don't even try to tell me that the same can't happen for Alex Smith! I see many similarities between the two men and I have hopes that Alex can still have similar success.

Watch these clips and feel free to comment:

QB Terry Bradshaw's Career Stats
Video: The Career of QB Terry Bradshaw
1978 Pittsburgh Steelers
Interview with QB Terry Bradshaw and NFL Films' Steve Sabol

And now we're comparing Alex Smith to Terry Bradshaw...

I think it's time for me to hibernate until week 1, I can't take this anymore.
another comparison, I think they hold the 2 worst rookie season ratings(with qualified pass attempt totals).

BTW, it is not even a debate, most people view Bradshaw as a benefactor of being surrounded by a bunch of HOFers. Now that is not to say a good amount of QB's would not have found a way to f that up as well so.

I am a huge Alex hater, but for the record....YES I agree. If we build a Doomsday Defense with scores of HOF'ers and Pro Bowlers, Alex Smith would most likely win championships.

I think we are going to need a few more Gores and Willis'
[ Edited by danimal on Jul 7, 2009 at 12:29 PM ]
I really hate to say this but i agree with Apples, this one blows my mind.
If Alex Smith turns into Terry Bradshaw...
Bradshaw had multiple season with an under 50% passing. That means that unless our defense turns into an all-time defense we need a better quarterback, hey I love Terry, but he is one of the most over-rated QB's ever, it's just he has 4 rings, and played great when it counts. I'll take a boatload of QB's over Terry Bradshaw, so I hope Alex is much better than 'the Blonde Bomber.'
  • Chief
  • Veteran
They are both stupid clowns?

Originally posted by Apples:

What is wrong with that?They were both first picks,and they both started out slow on bad teams?I remember Cosell calling him the #1 bust prior to doing an interview with him,but he turned it around.I know that you guys that hate Smith know more than everyone else that thinks that he can turn it around,so sweet dreams see ya when the season starts.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:

What is wrong with that?They were both first picks,and they both started out slow on bad teams?I remember Cosell calling him the #1 bust prior to doing an interview with him,but he turned it around.I know that you guys that hate Smith know more than everyone else that thinks that he can turn it around,so sweet dreams see ya when the season starts.

seriously, i am tired of all the bash alex bash - hill s**te...i love both of them. doesn't matter who wins the starting job as long as we win games.
Terry Bradshaw called his own plays...enough said.
Alex is secretly enjoying this thread

Originally posted by waiting4number6:
If Alex Smith turns into Terry Bradshaw...
Bradshaw had multiple season with an under 50% passing. That means that unless our defense turns into an all-time defense we need a better quarterback, hey I love Terry, but he is one of the most over-rated QB's ever, it's just he has 4 rings, and played great when it counts. I'll take a boatload of QB's over Terry Bradshaw, so I hope Alex is much better than 'the Blonde Bomber.'

Rule changes geared towards more points and more passing? You must be 15 years old or just unaware of how the game used to be played.
Correction, Terry Bradshaw wasn't too smart for his own good.

You know who else started out s**tty?

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

Alex Smith is more likely to turn into one of those guys than into Terry F*cking Bradshaw, gimme a break.
Originally posted by blacksailsmd:

seriously, i am tired of all the bash alex bash - hill s**te...i love both of them. doesn't matter who wins the starting job as long as we win games.

How was I hating or bashing? Do YOU think Alex will turn out to be like Terry Bradshaw?
Share 49ersWebzone