Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by Apples:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
And now we're comparing Alex Smith to Terry Bradshaw...

I think it's time for me to hibernate until week 1, I can't take this anymore.

What is wrong with that?They were both first picks,and they both started out slow on bad teams?I remember Cosell calling him the #1 bust prior to doing an interview with him,but he turned it around.I know that you guys that hate Smith know more than everyone else that thinks that he can turn it around,so sweet dreams see ya when the season starts.

You know who else started out s**tty?

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

Alex Smith is more likely to turn into one of those guys than into Terry F*cking Bradshaw, gimme a break.

I never said he would turn into Bradshaw,hell I didn't even say it was likely,so don't try to twist my words son.My point is that you guys always bashing him are just being shortsighted if you think it is impossible for him to turn it around.Give yourself a break.

Calling him a bust after his rookie season would be shortsighted.

But after 4 years of sub-par play and injuries, I think it's safe to call him a bust.

If you can tell this after one full season,why the hell aren't you an NFL scout?I mean the GM and coach seem to think he isn't a bust,but what do they know,they are just a veteran NFL scout and a Hall of Fame player?I guess guys like you and Billy are just more knowledgeable about judging NFL talent than the guys that are getting paid to do it.You should send in your resume to Jed York and tell him you know how to pick sure fire NFL talent every time.Then when you get the job because of how qualified you are,you can make the decisions on player personnel.Once you weeded out all the non pro bowlers we could all enjoy having our whole team as the starters in the the pro bowl.That would give us one extra game after we won the Super Bowl every year.Of course then we would have to convert Candlestick into a warehouse to hold all the Superbowl trophies that your expert talent analysis would bring to the team.Man what a wonderful opportunity the San Francisco organization is missing out on...it makes one sad to know how bad they are handling the team when they could have you.

If Alex Smith was on any other team, you'd be calling him a bust.

Any person that actually follows football would not call him an actual bust just yet. I wouldnt and I remember feeling sympathy for David Carr and wasnt ready to call him a bust bc of Houstons Oline but he eventually may be/is. When you have 4 different OC's in 4 years coming into football and not having great talent to work with then its gonna be hard. Atleast Rogers had Driver/Jennings to throw to. Despite the injury he suffered his 3rd year then I would not call him a bust. I give a player a minimum of 3 years to be labled a bust.
"Any person that actually follows football would not call him a bust?"

Have you seen the amount of money he's already made? This is a "what have you done for me lately?" league

Exactly what has he done besides 'take a pay cut because he has something to prove' to warrant not being a bust yet?

An overall #1 pick in the draft that can't even crack the starting lineup? He's not even in the top 32 quarterbacks in the league.

lol

He's Top 5 according to half of this board lol
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by billybonka:

What is wrong with that?They were both first picks,and they both started out slow on bad teams?I remember Cosell calling him the #1 bust prior to doing an interview with him,but he turned it around.I know that you guys that hate Smith know more than everyone else that thinks that he can turn it around,so sweet dreams see ya when the season starts.

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

Alex Smith is more likely to turn into one of those guys than into Terry F*cking Bradshaw, gimme a break.

I never said he would turn into Bradshaw,hell I didn't even say it was likely,so don't try to twist my words son.My point is that you guys always bashing him are just being shortsighted if you think it is impossible for him to turn it around.Give yourself a break.

But after 4 years of sub-par play and injuries, I think it's safe to call him a bust.

If you can tell this after one full season,why the hell aren't you an NFL scout?I mean the GM and coach seem to think he isn't a bust,but what do they know,they are just a veteran NFL scout and a Hall of Fame player?I guess guys like you and Billy are just more knowledgeable about judging NFL talent than the guys that are getting paid to do it.You should send in your resume to Jed York and tell him you know how to pick sure fire NFL talent every time.Then when you get the job because of how qualified you are,you can make the decisions on player personnel.Once you weeded out all the non pro bowlers we could all enjoy having our whole team as the starters in the the pro bowl.That would give us one extra game after we won the Super Bowl every year.Of course then we would have to convert Candlestick into a warehouse to hold all the Superbowl trophies that your expert talent analysis would bring to the team.Man what a wonderful opportunity the San Francisco organization is missing out on...it makes one sad to know how bad they are handling the team when they could have you.

Any person that actually follows football would not call him an actual bust just yet. I wouldnt and I remember feeling sympathy for David Carr and wasnt ready to call him a bust bc of Houstons Oline but he eventually may be/is. When you have 4 different OC's in 4 years coming into football and not having great talent to work with then its gonna be hard. Atleast Rogers had Driver/Jennings to throw to. Despite the injury he suffered his 3rd year then I would not call him a bust. I give a player a minimum of 3 years to be labled a bust.

Have you seen the amount of money he's already made? This is a "what have you done for me lately?" league

Exactly what has he done besides 'take a pay cut because he has something to prove' to warrant not being a bust yet?

An overall #1 pick in the draft that can't even crack the starting lineup? He's not even in the top 32 quarterbacks in the league.

lol

He's Top 5 according to half of this board lol
we actually agree on something? lol

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

lol

Yes WillyWonka if you actually f**king read and see what coaches and former players/analyst say about the unfortunate luck that he has been delt with instead of jumping to conclusion like half of these other cry babies on this board. Montana/Young didnt have to even smell what Smith have been done. Thats bc they were brought in with the same system and were surrounded with talent around the ball. Doesnt matter if he got payed Dr. Evil money. He has been delt a bad hand of cards and cant do s**t with it. Maybe he will turn out to be a bust I dont know and cant say it. Its not bc he didnt try and he gives up. Its a hard way to go and atleast he isnt half the immature person Vince Young is. If people would actually look at the logic behind his back ground and see then you can see you cant call him a bust. I am not a Smith homer/fanboy but I try to be fair and call what is right.

BTW Here I caught these on sale and I heared someone saying you were out of them so I rushed to get the last box just for you. I mean us Niner fans have to stick together. Right?

Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
What I fail to understand is that PTulini didn't compare Smith to bradshaw based on their skills, but their failures.

There have a whole bunch of QBs, like Smith, and bradshaw, who f**ked up early in their careers. Almost all of them went on to become busts, be career back-ups, you get the point.

But so many of the Smith supporters won't accept that the probability of smith turning out and having a successful career like Bradshaw is highly unlikey.

Most of the QBs who struggled early, became busts. So, it shows us that Smith has a way bigger chance of being out of this league than finding huge success.

I believe the reason for so many of these busts that you are talking about is the fact that they do not have the supporting casts that the Bradshaws, Rothlisburgers.... I think you get the point. A QB can not win a game all on his own, winning in the NFL takes a full team effort. Now don't get me wrong I am in now way saying that every QB that has been labeled a bust could have been successful on the right team. But I am sure there are a few in there that could have.

Another thing is that just becaue the probability of him finishing his career and ending up labeled a bust is high according to you doesn't mean that it isn't possible. You can call it wishful thinking or what have you. But I prefer to call it supporting the players on the team that I have chosen to follow and love. Call me crazy but I have always thought that was just part of being a fan.

Now you're gonna go ahead and question my fanhood? I have followed the team and love them as much as anything in this world. I can't wait till the day we win, and support the players, no matter how they play.

MY opinion is THAT SMITH hasn't played well, no matter what the talent around him was. He has issues himself, with his accuracy and other mechanics. Big-time issues.

But I am also a realist. If I notice, along with the majority of anyone who follows football, that when someone who was drafted that high, plays like absolute s**t for 2 years or 4 years or whatever, I don't hang on to the hope of him turning out to be good forever.

I still support Smith, and hope that he, along with the rest of the Niners, plays well, but I HIGHLY doubt it.

When did I call you out and question your fanhood? Did I anywhere in that post say your name or mention your handle? I sure don't remember mentioning your handle. As a matter of fact I haven't even paid attention to who you even are. I could be talking to 6 different people for all I know. I was speaking of so called fans in general. thats great that you have followed the team and love them more than anything or as much as anything in the world.

I agree with you that Smith hasn't played great. He has played ok but not great. It's not like he gets a lot of help. Look at the statistics for dropped passes. As for accuracy I wouldn't say that he doesn't have accuracy. I have seen Smith put a ball right on the money and have it dropped. His issue is consistancy and self esteem. How can you expect or believe that he is going to play great when he him self doens't believe it.

I understand that this is something that we hear every year around this time. It is more than likely a ploy to boost fan ticket sales for the upcoming season, but there seems to be a lot of reports that Smith is looking impressive during this offseason. Like I have said multiple times only time can tell with Smith. Nobody on this forum can tell the future. They might think that they can but the REALITY is that they can't. Seams how you are a realist as you stated you would agree. Is it impossible for Smith to come back focused and prepared for a comeback? For a realist as yourself I am sure your answer will be no that its not impossible. But I am sure you will state something about the probability and bla bla bla but then again for a realist as yourself that would be insinuating that you know the future of Smith. So I am sure I wont see that in your reply.

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

Wow,on top of being a top notch talent evaluator you are a mind reader...man if only I was only 1/10th as talented as you are.Wait,is that how you know how to pick the talent,with your amazing mind reading skills?

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

lol

Yes WillyWonka if you actually f**king read and see what coaches and former players/analyst say about the unfortunate luck that he has been delt with instead of jumping to conclusion like half of these other cry babies on this board. Montana/Young didnt have to even smell what Smith have been done. Thats bc they were brought in with the same system and were surrounded with talent around the ball. Doesnt matter if he got payed Dr. Evil money. He has been delt a bad hand of cards and cant do s**t with it. Maybe he will turn out to be a bust I dont know and cant say it. Its not bc he didnt try and he gives up. Its a hard way to go and atleast he isnt half the immature person Vince Young is. If people would actually look at the logic behind his back ground and see then you can see you cant call him a bust. I am not a Smith homer/fanboy but I try to be fair and call what is right.

BTW Here I caught these on sale and I heared someone saying you were out of them so I rushed to get the last box just for you. I mean us Niner fans have to stick together. Right?

tampons, wow what an ICE BURN!

did you think of that all by yourself, Mile$?

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

Wow,on top of being a top notch talent evaluator you are a mind reader...man if only I was only 1/10th as talented as you are.Wait,is that how you know how to pick the talent,with your amazing mind reading skills?

Mrs Cleo

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

You went from arguing your point to making feeble jokes.

In other words...you got nothin' and you know it.

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

I don't think he was making feeble jokes but rather mocking your so called arguement.

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

I don't think he was making feeble jokes but rather mocking your so called arguement.

Uhhh, ya, I know. Jokes are funny, his mocking comments were funny...see the correlation?

My argument is the correct one by the way.

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

Uhhh, ya, I know. Jokes are funny, his mocking comments were funny...see the correlation?

My argument is the correct one by the way.

And by correct you mean wrong. want to know the best part is I haven't even read what your arguement was hahahaha. I don't like apples I like oranges better. Ok I think I am officially tired now.
  • iataj
  • Info N/A

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

Steve Young
Originally posted by iataj:

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

Steve Young

Yea I am sure wish we never picked that guy up. He was horrible in Tampa. That guy had bust written all over him. I don't even know why we bothered.

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

Steve Young
awesome 1st post

David Klinger
Tim Couch
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf

Steve Young

Yea I am sure wish we never picked that guy up. He was horrible in Tampa. That guy had bust written all over him. I don't even know why we bothered.

Yep, you guys are right. I take back everything I said.

Alex will suddenly start playing well, despite never showing that he is anything but below average. He will have a career similar to Terry Bradshaw and Steve Young.
Share 49ersWebzone